Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtoad_gw

off topic - gladioli

mrtoad
15 years ago

i am going to plant a large number of glads when the time comes - it has been years since i have had these in my garden - please give suggestions on, "how to keep the tall plants upright"

thanks

mr toad

Comments (5)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Not off topic at all, plant them deep at least six inches down. This is a tip I picked up from a fellow who hybridized and showed a lot of Glads, he planted hundreds of corms and didn't stake one.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Hi Mr. Toad!
    I started a thread about glads awhile back to see how many people grew them. There was some good info on it. I will provide a link below.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Glads!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

I'd forgotten about that thread!! The bleach solution for the corms is a good idea for all imported bulbs, rhizomes. It is necessary thing for oriental lilies, as it will kill any japanese beetle eggs on them.

Nancy.

• lavendrfem
    15 years ago

This is great. I just started growing gladiolas last year. "Plumtart" they're called. I did have to stake a couple. I didn't know about planting them six inches down! I will definitely try this.

Also, I took some seed from the plants and I'm finding that they're easy to germinate. I hope that I can see blooms someday.

oh - I also found that when I pulled the bulbs out of the ground last year to store them - they had tiny little bulbs forming. i'm guessing that this is the way they multiply? I pulled them off and I'm going to try to plant those too. Anyone have any experience with that?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Lavendrfem, the little cormlets or cormels that form around the edges are great for increasing your stock of a particular variety but will take a couple of years of growing to reach blooming size. The longer you can keep your Glads growing before digging the bigger the corms will be. It will be interesting to see what you get from the seed you've grown on.

Annette

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington