Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

A pea by any other name... LOL

lavender_lass
13 years ago

My nieces and nephews (especially the little ones) LOVE to eat fresh peas right off the vine. Since I showed them this little trick, I realize that growing sweet peas could be a little hazardous...since it wouldn't be good if they ate those pods off the vine.

However, I found some seeds for lavender, fragrant sweet peas, at Lowe's yesterday...and I couldn't resist! So, what to do? The Latin name is Lathyrus Odoratus...so I'm planting 'Sweet Lathyrus' this spring (LOL) I'll put them on the arches, with the potatoes, a few tomatoes and other 'non-edible' plants in the garden. The kids know not to eat these, but as long as we call them Sweet Lathies...I think they'll never try to eat them.

My mom says...what are you going to do, when ten years from now, they want to start their own garden...and can't find 'Sweet Lathy' seeds. I guess I'll have to tell them, at that point :)

Comments (7)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Cute.

I need to find a place for growing sweet peas, the last two years I've tried the soil wasn't good and not enough sun.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would they grow, where you have the hyacinth bean? I've never grown sweet peas, but my mom does...and she likes to plant them in March, but the morning glories and climbing beans can't go in until mid-May. By the time they take off, the sweet peas are starting to die back, so she lets the other vines grow right over them.

Sweet peas and morning glories are really pretty together, too :)

• ianna
    13 years ago

I like sweet peas too.. Just a note of caution-- young kids may confuse any bean pod type plant as edible. They may not remember names but they will remember pods..

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ianna- That's my concern, too, but I think the different name will help. I'm out in the garden with them, when they visit...but why tell them they're peas? I'm going to tell them that all the vines on the arches are poisonous and only the ones on the trellises and bird obelisks are ones we can eat...and only when I'm with them. Hopefully, that will keep them out of too much trouble!

Also, the arbors are in with the potatoes, tomatoes and other plants that they are NOT supposed to eat...and the carrots, lettuce, blueberries, strawberries are all over by the edible peas. I'm open to any other ideas, though! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I might plant Sweet Peas on the bean trellis, not sure what I'm going to do this year as far as a veggie garden. Part of me doesn't want to bother - even with the lettuces - the other part says I'll miss it if I don't plant one.

Anyway, I could try the Swt.Peas on the picket fence where I normally grow the MGs, just this once and see how they do.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse- Can you grow them both? When do you plant sweet peas and morning glories, in your area?

Here, we plant sweet peas in mid March and morning glories mid May to early June.

I think you should have a veggie garden. You will miss your lettuce and you could add a few other things, too. Maybe something you can use with tea? Do you like English Cucumbers...cucumber sandwiches :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Yeah, I know I'll probably rush out to buy veggie seed and veggie plants at the last minute. :) I grew Lemon Cukes on a trellis one year and really enjoyed both growing and eating them. I could try beans and swt.peas together, if I end up planting beans. At any rate, I'll need to keep the garden patch tilled up, don't want it to go to weed. Maybe give it a good dressing of manure and let it set a season.

My planting times for swt. peas and MGs are the same as yours. The ground is really going to have to warm up alot in March though the way things look out there.

Sponsored