Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

What are you going to plant this year....

...that you haven't tried before? I bought some great salad mixes last year at the supermarket. One in particular we really liked called Mache, also known as corn salad, field salad, lamb's lettuce, lamb's tongue and several other names. This tender salad green popular in Europe has a nutty flavor, very nice in salads or sandwiches . I finally found a seed source so thought I would give it a try.

What are you going to try for the first time?

Annette

Comments (16)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I am trying Long Island Cheese Squash, supposed to be better for pies than the little sugar pumpkin I have raised before. Hope it likes our kind of summers!

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Swiss chard, a variety called Bright Lights.

I also ordered seeds of a small sized melon that is supposed to be a single serving size. Don't remember the name right off the top of my head.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I bought some 'Quinault' strawberry plants on a whim today. When I got home and looked them up, they were not the best choice for this climate, but sounds as if they will be great in pots. There are only 10, so into pots they'll go.

I have 'Bright Lights' Swiss chard seed, too. I saw some on two different blogs and they just looked super.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Waiting in the Wings

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

-nckvilledudes and Nell, I tried 'Bright Lights' chard last year. It was great, and thats saying something since I am not a big fan of it.

This year in I want to try some unusual types of tomatoes. Territorial Seed has some interesting looking ones. I really want to try the black-ish and striped kinds!
    CMK

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

I'm going to put in a short row of 'Cherriette' radishes I found in the Lindenberg Seeds catalogue. Only 20 days to mature. When they're done, I'll put in another row. I plan munching on them in the garden.

Libby

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Plan to seed hollyhocks as have not had success with buying plants - go figure - it's been the easiest plant in previous gardens. Also will do morning glories on the fence, not really new but haven't done them in years.

Last summer we started a lasagna bed so hopefully will have some good soil in which to plant veggies. Will plant veggies between the perennials if the lasagna bed isn't ready. Mesclun mix, "Bright Lights' swiss chard, kale have worked well in the past so I'll do those. Many veggies are not worth the effort in this climate so still need to think that one thru.

Plan to plant some garlic altho should have started it last fall, that's a new one for me. Have been paying a lot for nice organic garlic at the farmers' markets so want to give it a try.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Oh, Annette, I am so lucky, I received so many new seeds/types/cultivars to try, I cannot wait!!! I have heritage beans and melons, as well as pumpkins and tomatoes. I had saved some brandywine seeds, but, can I find them...it's almost planting time, so I really need to do some housekeeping. Libby, I got 'Cherriette' as well, from Stokes - they look really good!!! I love them from the garden, especially if I have a rain barrel to swish
    them off in!!! Yum!! Also, lots more potatoes this year, non-hybridized green beans; I have acquired very hybridized pickling cukes, as we have acquired a virus north of 49. Several types of winter and summer squash, for us to compare. By us, btw, it is my cousin's daughter, or CDD. She is big on the fresh produce, not so big on the field labour!!! lol. I've yet to find her garden speciality!!! Hopefully something other than chowing down.

Luckygal, I planted hollyhock seed last spring, and they grew well - I hope to have lots of double flowers this summer. Now, I received some seeds for black hollyhocks, which I adore, so, will plant them as well......since many are biennial, I am not sure how this story ends.....

Nancy.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Good to know about the Bright Lights Swiss Chard. I also purchased two differnent types of ornamental kale since I have always wanted to do a mass planting of it in the fall and the cost of purchasing full grown plants would be outrageous. I saw somewhere that I need to start those seed around July 4th to have decent sized plants by fall. I had originally planned on growing the chard to plant with those but decided to give them a go in the spring and see how it does. I could always buy more seed of the chard for fall if I like it.

I forgot to mention that I have about 5 varieties of grape/cherry tomatoes that I have never grown before and a French radish seed that is unusual looking.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

-luckygal, a seasoned pro over at the Garlic forum gave me great advice on how to try different types of garlic. He said to go to a farmers market, buy a few, and keep your favorites. Store them in a cool, dry spot until fall and then plant. I am going to try that this year.
    I only have Allium (garlic) sativum right now. I like it not only for the garlic, but for the ornamental value too. The stems are awesome looking; everyone comments on it when they see it. And it is just a homely little garlic!
    CMK

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Blueberries or gooseberries.

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

Blueberries, Raspberries, and a seed-strain of stawberries called 'Mignonette'.

• little_dani
    15 years ago

I have seeds of 'Quinoa;, botanical is 'Chenopodium quinoa'. I have never seen it before, not sure what to expect, but thought I would give it a try.

Also, I am planting Blackberry Lily, Maltese Cross, and Tobacco 'Lime Green'. I am really looking forward to these three.

Vegetables are going to be heirlooms this year, so I can save seeds.

Janie

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Quinoa - very yummy!! Let me know how that goes - I'd like to try it.

The other 3 sound good as well.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Quinoa, I just sampled this for the first time. It was done up in a salad with a curry type dressing, yummy is right. A

• dryad58
    15 years ago

I'm so happy to find this thread! I got a community garden plot this year so I have space to try all sorts of things (all those heirloom tomato varieties!). I really want to grow asian green (bokchoi, napa cabbage, etc...) does anyone here have experience? I would love to grow dahlias too. They just haven't been that cooperative in the past, but maybe they'll do better here.

• Annie
    15 years ago

What I'm Going to Plant this Year

FLOWERS:
    Lots of gladiolas.
    More Larksurs (WS).
    Lupines (WS).
    Sweet Peas (WS).
    One Pink Lonicera (honeysuckle)- planted today!
    More shrub roses- planted today: Dble Pink KO & Yellow KO).
    Golden Showers(CL) & Tropicana (tea) roses:(BD gifts).
    More hollyhocks (seeds).
    More Agastache (how DOES one pronounce that?)
    More Cosmos (seeds).
    Pansies (this week).
    More Heavenly Blue MGs.
    Pink Tree Wisteria - (got at an end-of-summer-sale in '08).
    River Birch trees (3) - (getting in the mail this week).
    1 Carolina Sweet Shrub -(ditto).
    Flower Seeds I bought or got from trades & kind donors!
    The Verbena bonariensis seeds I got from GGG (if I can find where I put them during the Holiday hubbub - sigh)

HERBS:
    Munstead Lavender, Spanish Lavender, Russian Sage, French Tarragon, Cilantro (this week), and whatever else I find at the Herb Fest in April. :)

VEGGIES: (from seeds I bought or were given)
    Red Delicious, San Marzano & Roma Tomatoes (this week); Iceberg lettuce, Romaine lettuce, Mesclun, & Salad Mix lettuce; French Breakfast Radishes, & Celery (this week), Clemson Spineless Okra, Peppers & Broccoli (this week), Cucumbers, Onions (this week), and Bush beans, Squashes.

MELONS:
    Musk Melon - Hale's Best (saved seeds)
    Pumpkin - Sweetie Pie (saved seeds)
    Gourds - Bushel basket, Apple, large BHG, (seeds from trade)

MY FEET firmly in my own backyard - not going anywhere this summer, esp. at harvest time!!! (humph!)

~Annie

Sponsored