Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Recommendations for this spot?

party_music50
11 years ago

Hello all! I had some foundation work done and the flower gardens that I had against the house got completely wasted by the work. :p What I seem to be left with must contain a lot of clay, because it's rock hard in some places. It's also rocky (allegedly to improve drainage).

The contractor advises not to plant anything near the house, but I want to plant something! :) It is a southern exposure, elevated, probably alkaline soil due to the foundation wall, the roof overhang keeps it dry, and I want to plant something fairly tall that will LIKE those conditions. I figure that Echinacea (coneflower) might be good. I'd love to plant Dictamnus (gas plant) but worry that it would be too dry?

So I guess I'd like something that's 2 to 3 feet tall. FWIW, a rogue catnip seed planted itself at an inside corner and thrived there last year -- as well as a huge patch of self-sown impatiens balsamina. :p

Any ideas or suggestions? :)

Comments (7)

• Annie
    11 years ago

Tall Garden Phlox.
    I have it growing next to my foundation on the southern side.
    Gets 3-4 ft tall, blooms all summer; likes the sun; does well in almost any soil; smells yummy and is a very traditional Cottage Garden flowering plant.

Then your Coneflowers in front and maybe some Bachelor Buttons and Gaillardias. All do fine in alkaline soils and don't mind rocks. :)

Maybe an ornamental grass to the side. Don't plant them in straight rows and predictable waves, but in clumps, here and there if you want the traditional Cottage look.

They won't cost and arm and a leg and will return year after year. Plus, won't damage your new foundation. as they are shallow rooted.

I think the contractors meant not to plant deep rooted shrubs or trees next to the house. Perennial flowers won't hurt a thing.

Those are just a few suggestions I can think of right off hand, anyhow. I am sure there will be lots of others.

~Annie

• Annie
    11 years ago

P.S. - to break up the clay and add nutrients, add sand (you can use play sand) and composted manure. Together they break apart the sticky clay particles. In the fall, add leaves and more leaves.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Before planting anything please amend the soil. If you want nice plants that will survive you need to have better soil than clay and rocks.

I recommend adding lots of compost and other organic material. Some gardeners have had good results with tilling in wood chips and extra nitrogen. Adding sand can be problematic depending on the type of native clay soil. With some types it will become concrete. Also sand has no nutritional value. If you want to add sand I recommend having a soil test and asking someone knowledgeable if this is a good idea. But definitely add compost as well.

There is lots of good info on the"Soil, Compost and Mulch" forum.

Very little will grow well with no water so you might think about using soaker hoses under the mulch. You can even put them on a timer so it's easier. I highly recommend an organic mulch such as shredded bark which protects and improves the soil and conserves moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: perennials for hot dry gardens

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, I guess I needed to clarify. I am a long-time gardener and not at all in need of suggestions on how to improve the soil. I had improved the area beautifully prior to this destructive work being done. I know that this area has been back-filled as it has because it needed improved drainage. The contractor is suggesting that nothing be planted there because he doesn't want me WATERING there. Same reason for him not wanting me to amend the soil to HOLD water. :p

I know how to amend soil -- I am an experienced gardener. I was just looking for some plant suggestions that might fit the bill. Sweetannie, phlox is a good suggestion, but I do already have a huge prominent planting of tall phlox immediately to the left of the area that got ripped up.

I have posted on this forum occasionally over the years and didn't realize that I needed to explain that I really am a cottage-style gardener who has a clue of what they're doing. :p I was just looking for plant ideas.

FWIW, according to everything I've ever read, sand is not recommended as an amendment for clay. Organic material is. And yes I have compost piles too. lol!

Thanks for the replies. I'll go see if I can find a xeriscaping forum....

• Annie
    11 years ago

party_music50,

I did in no way mean to offend you. I would never intentionally do a thing like that to anyone (unless provoked or bullied),
    I often reply to gardening problems in broader terms for those on here who are lurking newbie gardeners. Sorry that you took my sincere suggestions to be condescending. I don't know you, so how could I possibly know what you do or do not know about gardening based upon what you posted? .

As for my suggestion of adding sand AND composted manure and leaves....I explained the mixture. It USED to be common practice and was suggested in all the "old" gardening books. (lol) Has always worked well for me

And as for my plant suggestions, I guess I missed the part where you mentioned plants already growing there..

luckygal pretty much restated (but much better) the same things I said about amending your soil (minus my adding the sand suggestion -ahem!) , .

Our suggestions were in response to your comment that the soil was now clay and alkaline because of the foundation work you had done, so we naturally were just suggesting that you amend it so as to broaden your plant possibilities. We meant no harm.

However, if there is a problem with water damaging your foundation, then perhaps cactus and rocks would be in order. They wouldn't mind the alkaline soil, hot southern sun exposure, and you wouldn't have to water them at all!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

How about adding shrubs that could be planted out a little farther from the house, but which would grow to take up space with branches as they grow?

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Party music50, so glad you clarified. Hope you can understand why Annie and I gave the info we did. While I do remember your name from one of the other forums here I did not remember you as a recent poster here on Cottage Gardens. Hope you will stick around and show pics of your cottage garden.

Perhaps there is more info you haven't posted about why the contractor doesn't want you to water that area but for me that would be a very large red flag. I cannot imagine why any contractor would expect a homeowner to not plant near their house for fear of water doing something adverse.

Have you checked out google re: perennials for hot dry gardens? It's really difficult for any poster to suggest plants not knowing what you have, like, or what the area looks like. However perhaps a xeriscaping forum will give you better info. Good luck! :)

Annie, nice of you to apologize but IMO neither of us needs do so. One can only base one's answer on the info the OP gives and in this thread we were not given necessary info to provide an answer the OP found helpful.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994