Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Do you love Honeysuckles?

luxrosa
13 years ago

My mother grew a honeysuckle that was a rich golden hue, and its blossom shape reminded me of golden heraldic filagree, if such a thing existed. I never learned the name and Mom passed on, and the property was sold. Now I own a little cottage and have planted mostly Old Garden Roses, lavender and Breathe of Heaven, but I long for a fragrant honeysuckle of this type:

-golden with orange and/or red

-fragrance a must

-evergreen would be great.

-long blooming season would be fantastic.

any suggestions?

Luxrosa

Comments (8)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I love honeysuckle! My favorite is the wild kind, nothing wafts as nicely that I've seen. It covered my grandparents chain link and filled the air with perfume. I grow gold flame, and love it, the fragrance is light but I love that it's pink. The hummingbirds love it too.
    I don't have the chance to have a evergreen honeysuckle here in pa, but have you visited brushwood nurseries website? They have a lot to choose from, maybe you'll find that special cultivar. I love how certain plants bring you right back to your childhood or a special time in your life!

Ps, what is breath of heaven?

• natal
    13 years ago

I only grow winter honeysuckle (for the hummers). It's evergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

My favorite is Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina', the late flowering dutch honey suckle. Blooms for quite a long time but does lose it's foliage during the winter. Lonicera fragrantissima does too in my neck of the woods.

Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina'

Scroll down the link below for information on the evergreen Lonicera splendida

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Honeysuckle

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

I adore honeysuckle too. I have six types of Lonicera in the garden, though only L. periclymenum 'Scentsation' and a shrub honeysuckle seem to have much of a scent. The 'Scentsation' has golden and cream colored flowers and blooms in spring, though I find it has a nother small fush of blooms in late summer/fall too. Such a wonderfully strong scent! Only downside is that it seems to be a reeeealy slow grower, so maybe the L. heckrottii lilyfinch would be better if you are looking for a fast grower.

Not sure if the periclymenum would be invasive in your zone or not, might want to check on that ;-)
    CMK

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I grow native Eastern honeysuckles all of which are golden/red/orange however they are not fragrant at all to humans. Hummingbirds love them but I can't smell anything.

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

Yes! Planted a hedge row a few years ago - then moved :(

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aftermidnight, your photo of "Serotina"shows the exact type of honeysuckle I've been searching for I knew it was a Dutch type, now I can buy it!!!

Thanks to all of you,
    Luxrosa

P.S. I kept several bushes of mexican sage, though I don't care for the plants and ants love them, because the hummers feed on them in winter when there are few flowers in bloom

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

Lux - I am interested in the Serotina too. I feel like I am following you around gardenweb lately as I usually read the antique rose forum but have been looking into the old clematis and now honeysuckle!

Unfortunately, Brushwood, the the nursery I am ordering from this Spring, is sold out of Serotina. But I was wondering how large it would grow? I see reports from the PNW of 20 feet or so, but Dan at Brushwood says its only about 4-6 feet. I am considering Goldflame instead.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus