Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best larkspur seeds to plant in Texas?

Posted by honeybunny2 Z9TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 17:30

I have been going to the nursery, and buying seeds. There are three diffrent larkspur seeds, Kaleidoscope, Giant Imperial, and Rocket. Which of these would do the best in the coastal sandy soil? I bought the Kaleidoscope, and Rocket, but can exchange them if I made a mistake. Thanks, Barbra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best larkspur seeds to plant in Texas?

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 11:19

Wrong time of year to sow larkspur seeds. Plants are getting ready to bloom. Wait till the fall.

o

I like Giant Imperial the best. I sow mine in January at the latest.

Renee

o

In North Carolina, I like the Giant Imperial. I sow my seeds between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Earlier (late October) if the weather is rainy.

Cameron

o

I am so confused, the package said to plant Sept thru May, so I bought the seeds. I will plant the Rocket's right now, since they are packaged right here in Texas. I will wait until October, and plant the other package. I read that the seeds need to be refrigerated, before sowing, is this true with all annual flower seeds? Barbra

o

Barbra, if you want larkspurs this year buy some six packs. They will go to seed providing you will have all the larkspurs you could ever want in the years to come.

o

I am going to go to Kathy's and dig some up from her yard next week. She emailed me to come by. In my heart I know it's probably too late to plant the seeds, but I am dying to plant the Rockets, because they come from Fredericksburg Tx. Barbra

o

I put some in a gallon pot for you. You can dig as many as you want. They have to be dug when small as they have a looooong tap root.

o

honeybunny, I always buy larkspur seed in the spring, since it is impossible to find in the fall....but I save it to sow in late October or November. They come up in the fall, form ground-hugging rosettes that "rest" all winter and then put on height and blooms in the spring. If you sow them now, chances are good you'll waste the seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here