Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

dwarf fruit trees...

User
16 years ago

I was the lucky recipient of several huge Italian clay pots today. I would like to have some fruit trees in the pool area since it has a hot micro climate. What dwarf trees can I grow here in central AL ? They will have to be out all year as the pots are too heavy to move. I could cover when there was going to be a very bad freeze though. I will appreciate any suggestions...TIA, c

Comments (11)

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Hello, Caroline,

I grew a loquat tree in a pot (in Berkeley, California). It was a full size tree but the pot caused it to be dwarf in size. It bloomed and produced fruit. It survived a number of frosts.

There were a couple of loquats growing in the neighborhood. Some children dropped pits into my soil filled empty pot. A pit sprouted and grew into my little tree. The tree was about twenty years old, when I gave it away because I was preparing to move to NM.

Lorna

• lzygrdner
    16 years ago

Caroline, I have had two olive trees in large pots for going on 4 winters. no protection in Atlanta. They have flowered, but not fruited. You could try a dwarf pomegranite, or a persimmon? Fig trees are beautiful in my opinion also. those are all hardy in Atlanta. You could be daring and go with citrus. I just bought a mandarin orange and kumquat tree from mckenzie farms (great reviews on garden watchdog) Those will be hardy with protection. (I've been told).

raintree nursery and edible landscaping websites have lots of ideas, check them out.

Harriet

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lorna:20 yrs old...that is impressive ! I don't know what to do with loquats...will look them up.

Harriet...I was hoping someone from this general area would answer too. I LOVE figs and olives...do the olives need to be cross pollinated? Maybe that is why they have not fruited. I am planning on a Meyer Lemon also. So there you go...I will look up the references also. THANK you both. c

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Hi, Caroline,

Loquats are eaten out of hand. They are about the size of a cherry. The tree usually flowered twice a year! I don't know if it was pollinating itself. I thought so, but was not positive.

Groan, Myers lemons, I do miss those! If you put a large pot on one of those wheeled plant pedestals (not sure what those are actually called), you'll easily be able to move a Myers to a protected spot in winter. I've got a redwood "plant scooter" under a large potted plant in a bathroom. Makes it easy to move the plant out of the way for floor washing.

Lorna

• fammsimm
    16 years ago

Caroline,

Going along with what Harriet just posted, last year I started seeing citrus trees ( orange, lime and lemon) in a couple of local nursuries for in -the- ground planting.

When I asked about it I was told that between this zone becoming warmer, and some varieties being developed that were more cold tolerant, that citrus might have a chance. I think this maybe pushing the zones a bit, but it's still kind of intriquing. I'm thinking of getting one to try.

Marilyn

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

You could try wolfberry, che fruit and dwarf pomegranite. Blueberries also like pots!

here's a link: http://www.eat-it.com/Plants/Pomegranate.htm

GGG

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lorna they do sound very good. Marilyn I saw Meyer Lemon trees at HD last fall and by the time I went they were all gone. Now I have the right size pot. I don't think I will have to bring them in since the pool area stays protected and I can always use plastic and a lightbulb for an unusual night of freezing temps. GGG I don't know about wolfberry and che but will look and who knew about blueberries??!! This is so great. Thanks. c

• joshuaslocum
    15 years ago

Loquats are a fantastic fruit to grow. this is a great story by lorna. where I live Loquats are grown everywhere and they have no trouble at all with occasional frosts. We also grow pretty much every kind of citrus tree in pots with no trouble at all with an occasional frost. I'll take some photos of Loquats i grew in exactly the same way as Lorna's ... from seeds right in some soil in a pot, leave over winter, and little tree by summer.... you can see pictures etc at

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dwarf Fruit Trees Blog

• ianna
    15 years ago

I recall a beautiful garden belonging to a well known Italian fashion designer. He had several large terracottas planted with lemons which matured over time. They looked spectacular. He created a corridor with the planters flanking each side of the pathway.

Ianna

• joshuaslocum
    15 years ago

I posted a photo of one of the loquats i grew from the pit of a yummy munched loquat last year. Great plan to keep it in a pot and thus turn it into a "dwarf" loquat fruit tree.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Loquat Dwarf Fruit Trees

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

That brings back memories, Joshua. Loquats are pretty trees.

Lorna

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting