Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Think spring! :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I found this picture on the Internet and wanted to share it with all of you. Aren't they beautiful? I'd love to be able to grow bluebells like that. Think spring! :)

{{gwi:641259}}

Comments (14)

• ianna
    13 years ago

sweet! TY

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Oooooh that's something! Monday I saw 2 robins in my yard digging for worms. I was so excited but then we got more snow! Lol I'm ready for spring wherever it is to get here!

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I have never seen them. Where do bluebells grow? Not in my part of TX.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I believe these were somewhere in England. I found them under 'traditional country kitchen' on yahoo...I'll go try to find the link, again.

Here it is. In one picture the bluebells almost look like lavender mist, coming up from the ground :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebells

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Can't you grow texas bluebells, plantmaven? :)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Bluebells really are one of the joys of our countryside. These pictures show bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) in my wood. An individual flower stem.

{{gwi:641262}}

A patch of bluebells.
    {{gwi:641264}}

Sorry it's a bit out of focus but they look hazy anyway. They actually look like a sheet of water when you see them through the trees and it is really difficult to convey their beauty in a photograph. They flower in late spring (which goes on from February to May here) and are about the last of the woodland ephemerals before the canopy is complete.

• scully931
    13 years ago

Oh, wow. All those pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for posting.

Supposed to reach 60 here next weekend! :-)
    6 right now. :-/

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Since I'd rather look at that than this, thanks for sharing:

{{gwi:194690}}

That's the measure of snow covering my front lawn.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Can't possibly top any of those bluebells pix, but driving through my neighborhood today, I noticed one neighbor has bags of mulch all around her front yard. That is a good sign. Got me thinking I shpould do that before the weather warms and the weeds start. Now THAT is a happy thought! Last year, we had 56 inches of snow on the ground now (understand how you feel g'weed).

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

So beautiful. I saw a bluebell wood with my own eyes when I visited Scotland many years ago. It was like something out of a fairytale. The virginia bluebells do a lot better in my yard than the english ones.

• Annie
    13 years ago

I planted them for my Scottish husband. Mine never get to normal height though. They only get to about 3 or 4 inches tall, max, but they are pretty, jts. I wanted to grow them in carpet under my trees like in the photos above. Only a few survived, but they bloom for me every year.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those bluebells are lovely! I would love to have such a pretty thing, but know what the humid heat would do.

If I would just concentrate on what does well here and quit trying to jump zones, I would do better....but look at them! They are lovely.
    kay

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

sweetannie4u - in Scotland they refer to Campanula rotundifolia as 'bluebell'. That is only 3 - 4 inches tall. Is that what you grew for your husband?

Here is a link that might be useful: Harebell

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Keep your fingers crossed for me, out of the 6 seedlings I had there's only one left that I can see. It's soooo tiny but if it survives it'll give me a start. I tried twice with bulbs, both times they rotted :(.

Annette

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County