Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

so have you began starting seeds?

ianna
13 years ago

Has anyone started their seeds yet? indoors or wintersowing?

Last year I overdid the tomato thing. Too many to count. This time over I brought in my tender succulents and began propagating more. I will have to add different plants in spring. I just love these stuff for container planting.

I plan to sprinkle more verbena bonariensis. I just loved the results last year. I will have to reduce some plants (:-( and it looks like the salvias are it.

Comments (27)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Well I made a list of seeds to order but thats it! I need to get on it. I want to direct sow cosmos and zinnias but I'm not sure where. Morning glories for my chain link fence , and I found seeds for verbena I want to try. Last year I also did too many seeds! It was too much work and ended up being impatient and buying perennials of the same seeds.

• natal
    13 years ago

Germinated a few varieties of echinacea and rudbeckia. They're in the cold frame now.

Started my tomato and pepper seeds last weekend. Nothing popping up yet.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I started about 25 WS boxes of flower seeds, all perennial. I have many more to go but it looks like the garden reno won't be in time for this years planting, so I'm hesitant to plant more seeds...when fences go in and other things, even the existing beds will be torn up...so I'm a bit afraid to start too many. Struck many rose cuttings already, and will probably strike more cuttings in the next few weeks.
    I will start tons of veggies of course in the next few weeks if I can. S

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whatever you are doing GGG sounds exciting. I wish I had those jobs to do.. Hahaha.. I'm one of those gardeners that want to start fresh and replant the yard but once again seeing what I already have, I'm hesitant about cutting things down.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

GGG..25 boxes of flower seeds? Where did you buy boxes of flower seeds? When we were kids, as a fun raiser, each student would be assigned a box of seeds to sell. I don't recall who the seed co. was but Ferry-morse sticks in my mind, but there may be 20-25 pkts in those green cardboard boxes. Of course, the seeds cost 25 cents a pkt. If the student sold all the seeds, they got to keep 1 pkt of their choice. My dear Mother loved sweet peas so I always chose that first of all and put it aside, determined to sell all that was in my box so I could keep that pkt. free for Mama.
    Wonder now, 50 yrs. later, what was done with the pkt. of unsold flower seeds? For sure they weren't planted around the school! Maybe any unsold seeds had to be sent back to the fundraising company.

• finchelover
    13 years ago

I've never tried that I have always direct sowed but I heard-read you could plant poppy seeds on top of snow so I thought why not,I had the poppy seeds and gobs of snow. I had some sand we kept handy for the ice so I took alittle and mixed my seeds in it and went out and sprinkled them on top of the snow so now it is "wait & see" to if they come up.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I have about 50 milk jugs of potting soil planted with seeds frozen solid out in the back yard right now. I'm looking forward to end of March when they will begin to sprout.

• Annie
    13 years ago

I winter sowed (directly) some Blue Himalayan Poppy seeds in the rose garden back in November, or was it December. (Wrote the date on the seed package).
    I sowed my Sweet Peas at the same time.

Will start my tomatoes and peppers tomorrow. Supposed to be warm for a week! In the 60s and 70s with rain next weekend. May winter-sow some annual too. I want to plant a few broccoli and a cabbages, and sow onion seeds for spring green onions. They grow nicely between roses and help ward off bugs :) Maybe plant a Zucchini or two and grow some Lemon Cucumbers up on the new arch at the back of the rose garden.

Plan on growing gourds of various kinds this year. Won't plant those until April or May, depending upon the weather this year.

Flower seeds to direct sow:
    Larkspur (have hundreds of volunteers...but in the paths)
    Nigella
    Flax
    Shirley Poppies
    Cornflowers
    Wallflowers
    Forget-me-nots (annual)
    Lychnis
    Columbine
    Dianthus
    Catchfly
    Clary Sage

In flats:
    Rudbeckias
    Gloriosas
    Hibiscus
    Mallows
    Coreopsis
    Wheat Cleosia
    White Swan Echinacea

That's what I have listed, so far anyway. We shall see!

Will have to wait until April to see what survived our Arctic Winter storms. Blah!
    ~Annie

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi Annie. Nice selection. We are still deep in winter and so I expect to start my indoor planting sometime in March. In Ontario, we can only begin planting the seedlings in the ground by June.

• mechele211
    13 years ago

I started winter sowing in December and I have a few sprouts coming up. Today I spotted my first sweet pea and wallflower sprouts. Lupines and dwarf hollyhocks are also coming up. Even after 5 years of winter sowing I am always amazed at the seeds that will sprout in such cold weather.

• simcan
    13 years ago

This is my first year trying seeds but I am excited about it and will be doing some indoors but also trying wintersowing. One of the things I love about it is how many seeds you get for a couple of bucks, so I can try lots of different methods.

I attended a seed exchange yesteday and picked up Verbena bonariensis, castor bean 'gibsonii', Nigella hispanica, Nicotiana alata, 'Autumn Splendour' sunflower, lupins, and some others than I can't recall at the moment. Alas, no Korean Angelica which I was really hoping to get.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

korean angelica? Is that any different from a regular angelica? how do you use this herb/plant? I've heard of angelica's being candied before or used in soups.

Which exchange did you attend? The seedy sunday in U of Toronto? Was it great? i wish I could come down for the event but my daughter was sick and so I stayed home with her.

Ianna

• simcan
    13 years ago

Yes, different than the common garden Angelica (Angelica archangelica, I think), this one is, well, Korean, and purple, and is a different species (Angelica gigas). It too is biennial but is very striking but hard to find seeds for.

Yes, Seedy Sunday was where I went...it was a good event. Lots of displays, lots of people. But I was in and out without much wandering around.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

darn.. I keep missing Seedy Sundays...

I've seen that Koren angelica before but can't recall where. I do have the angelica archangelica bought from Richters Herbs. Can't wait to see it grow taller next week.

• thinman
    13 years ago

It's still too early here in the frozen north, but I have lots of seeds ready to go, starting in March. I should end up with about 50 flats to set out in June, from ageratum to zinnias.

ThinMan

• DYH
    13 years ago

I saved containers to do winter sowing, but it's going to be 80 degrees here this week!

Also, we're going to be away for a few weeks this spring and I'm concerned about having anything in containers while I'm gone -- but, it will be too early to plant out in the garden.

I may just take my chances with direct sowing only.

Cameron

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

50 flats.. Holly Molly. In other words, hundreds and hundreds of new plants.

It's warming up in our area too. This reminds me of why people who do coldframe their cuttings and seeds usually mulch within the box. it's too prevent extreme temperature swings.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Well, I have winter sown about 55 containers of various perennials. That is waaaaay more than I intended to sow this year.

From trades I also have 24 or so types of annuals. Never have too much luck with starting them indoors. Think I may start a few of them by spring sowing in the jugs and direct sowing.
    Don't even ask how many veggie seeds I have at this point! Will have to go thru them and pick out which I am doing this year. My number one problem with veg seed is figuring out WHEN the best time to start them is. Usually there is always something that is planted too late or too early, lol.
    CMK

• thinman
    13 years ago

Right you are, Ianna, it's quite a few. Most of the flats are 72 cells and you can do the math from there. :-)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

My endeavours are just a drop in the bucket compared to most of you. I've got lettuce and collards sown in containers and tomatoes under lights in the basement, the tomatoes will be moved to the greenhouse next month and then potted on and grown there until they go outside. Everything else will be started in the greenhouse next month.

Annette

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

3600 cells and if you are anything like me, I seed 3 or more per cell and then divide as they get bigger. So potentially you can get 10,800 plants.. LOL.

I've not started any seeds yet. That's because I've no space. My growing table is filled with succulents and succulent seedlings. Anyway its early yet for my zone. I'll wait till March.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

That is a fantastic number Ianna! I can not wait to be able to seed out that many myself!! I have what I think is most of the glass I need for a greenhouse, (I'm hopeful maybe for next year!!) and am considering putting in grow lights and a rack in my office next door. I've not had much success with indoor starting in the past, but the house next door is only heated to 57, so with warmers and lights I think it would be quite perfect! I can't wait to have all that planting space too!!!

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GGG - I'm referring to Thinman's seed starts.

You can start your own indoor grow system using shop lights. It works just as good as any growth light. I hang mine low about 5 inches off the plants. Although as of yet, I've not started any seeds.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Ianna, I'm sorry, I thought you started that many too! I know Thinman has the place to plant all of his :)
    I used to use the shop lights, but in our house with the heat on it was such a struggle to keep the plants healthy. Next door with the heat low, it will be so much better. Right now we start our plants from seed at the greenhouse at church, it's wonderful because of the ventilation systems there.

• ianna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forget that Atlanta is so much more warmer than Toronto..So over here, I aim to increase the heat and you do the opposite.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I started a few weeks ago with my veggies. The favas have already been transplanted outside. I don't sow many flowers because I have a tiny garden which is already full to the gunwhales. But I have sown a few tall white Nicotiana to try and cram in if I can find some spaces.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I've been planting since fall. I have Magnolia tree seeds in, Red Columbine, Pale Pink Double bloom columbine, Yellow blackberry lilies, Japanese anenome, peony poppies, rose campion, tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, swiss chard and white radishes so far. This is my first years winter sowing so I have my fingers crossed.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus