Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Spireas are blooming

hosenemesis
11 years ago

My bridal wreath spireas are blooming, and so are the clivias. It looks like it might be a good show this year as long as the temps don't get too hot too quickly. I only wish the show lasted longer!

Comments (13)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more shot.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And clivias too.

• onederw
    11 years ago

There they are! I was thinking it was about time for them to go off! Love the first photo in particular. It would take me a long time to move off that spot from which the photo was taken--the view is so full of both bloom and promise, not to mention rich, soothing green.
    I think I also see purple-blue violas or pansies, and c. paludosum daisies. . . . but what are those lovely silver blue-grey leaves edging the walkway? Lavender? Lambs ears? None of the above??

Kay

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That is just lovely. We are a couple of months away from that, give or take depending on the spring temps, but your pictures make me want to rush to the nursery! I especially love those spirea-had one at my mother's growing up and would dearly love to have several here now! I am afraid we are too shady here to get much in the way of heavy blooms.:(

Thanks for sharing your pictures!!!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

That first pic is gorgeous - looks just like a park!

I love BW spireas altho I think they like a warmer zone. I've seen one around here so it might be worth a try.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I love it!

Our clivias are blooming too.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Kay, those are Lamb's Ears. They are a lot of work here because they spread so fast, but I really love the texture, height, and color, and the blooms smell good. They are subject to root knot nematode so I have had to remove them from quite a few infested areas.

I always thought the BW spireas were cold weather plants, since I have never seen them used here in Southern California.

Thank you all for the kind words. I put a few more photos on the CA Forum.

• Annie
    11 years ago

My Spireas are just beginning to bloom. Just one or two flowers on each bush, but they are covered in bloom buds that are showing the white, so soon they will all pop overnight.

The Pink-flowering Almond bushes are loaded with little pink buds. Yesterday I saw three clumps of Hosta had emerged in the bed under the Weeping Willow.. Yeah! They survived the transplant in this drought!

The new orchard I planted last spring is doing well. The Apricot tree is covered in beautiful pale pink blossoms and the peaches are forming bloom buds. The wise apple trees are not being fooled by this warm pre-spring weather. If we get any of our typical spring freezes or frosts, there will be no fruit on the apricots or peaches...again.
    The older fruit trees are fine. The big pear tree is about to bloom, but it can handle those late-spring cold snaps and still bear fruit in the fall.

My weeping Willow has tiny new yellow-green leaves. So pretty swaying in the breeze.

I ADORE your Pepper Tree
    I miss those. My favourite tree in childhood years for climbing.
    I always had to laugh when watching the TV series back in the 70s of "The Walton's". It was supposed to take place in the mountains of WV, and yet there was that gigantic Pepper tree in their yard. (lol)

Your garden is divine - just picture perfect.
    Everything is so beautiful. You could submit those images to a gardening magazine for publication. Seriously!

Hey, thanks for the heads-up about Lamb's Ears being susceptible to root knot Nematode. I love them too.
    We do have a problem with Nematodes. Not as bad now as it was in the past, but there are still some areas where it is still a major problem. I was wondering what killed out some of my Lamb's Ear clumps.

~Annie

• luckygal
    11 years ago

The Brassica family (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and radishes) are natural biocides killing bacteria, nematodes and mycorrhizal fungus so you might use them near susceptible plants such as Lamb's Ear. I haven't tried this as I don't think my Lamb's Ears are affected but it might be worth a try. The ornamental versions of cabbage and kale are quite attractive so would be a worthwhile addition to the flowering perennial garden. I'm also thinking of using kale as a plant in my flower garden as it's attractive, tasty, and healthy.

• Annie
    11 years ago

How interesting luckygal!

I've planted cabbages in amongst my roses several times. Both did well. Maybe that's why!

Thanks for the info.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's good to know, luckygal, thanks. And thank you for the compliments, Annie. It makes all of the work worthwhile!
    Renee

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    11 years ago

I have been looking forward to your spireas hosenemesis.
    It was worth the wait, they are lovely.
    I like your Leucanthemum paludosum too. I have been looking for a seed source for those in Europe.
    I haven't found one yet, but, no worries, I will keep looking.
    Daisy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Renee,
    Your yard is beautiful, as always. I love the BW spireas. I have three that I hope the next freeze doesn't kill. at least you won't have to worry about that, but they require a good bit of pruning to stay pretty. totally worth it in my opinion.

Your garden is always so delightful, no matter what is blooming!
    kay

Sponsored