Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

White Lilac Blooms!

Annie
12 years ago

I grew this White Lilac from a cutting that someone sent to me years ago. It grew very slowly. Last year it made two tiny blooms. I was thrilled, nonetheless.

This year:

{{gwi:642084}}

See the little honeybee coming in for a sip?

{{gwi:642085}}

{{gwi:642086}}

And the smell divine!

~Annie

Comments (15)

• natal
    12 years ago

I remember that smell (growing up in Indiana). Lucky you!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

No doubt. Thanks for sharing!

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I've never had a white lilac.

There are barely even buds on my lilacs this time of year, nowhere near blooming!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Aaahhhhh. I wish I could smell them.
    Renee

• flowergirl70ks
    12 years ago

Lilacs blooming here in Dodge City a whole month early. We usually see our first bloom May 1rst, in time for May baskets.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

One of my favorites and so old-timey. Mine are just starting to bud. Thank goodness they didn't get nipped by the freeze.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

That is beautiful! We've had a lilac bush (same one) since the third year of our marriage. It was a cutting from friends in North Carolina. It's moved with us to two other houses. Of course it is now huge! One of my favorite flowers, I love, LOVE the fragrance. Ours is the pale lilac color. It's about to hit peak blooms in the next few days. Love your white one!

tina

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

flowergirl70ks - Early Spring here too.
    Everything is a full 6 weeks early this spring here in Central, Oklahoma. I am seeing Sphinx Moths already, too. That means the Hummingbirds will appear any day now and it's still March! Bizarre!
    Normally, I would just now be setting out my Cole crops and planting my lettuces, beets, onions, and etc for my Spring Garden. Glad I took a chance and planted my Spring Garden back in February.

Today I am tilling up the lower Orchard where I will plant my tomatoes and peppers and etc, this year. I had my first garden down there. Snow peas, Cabbages and Broccoli did fantastically down there. It gets high afternoon shade in the summer, so if we have another hot summer again this year, it might help keep the plants cool enough to allow tomatoes to form. If it doesn't get that hot, they will hopefully still do well there. It's a lot closer to the water faucet and when I water the veggies, I will also be watering the Fruit trees, so less waste and less work (I hope).

I have the old-fashioned purple lilacs that I adore. They are all blooming now too. I took pics yesterday of the one down by the orchard. A butterfly landed just as I was about to snap my first shot, then after posing for that photo-Op, it just floated casually away over to the North Garden. :)

I would like to have one of those new two-toned Pink Lilacs. It is supposed to be a repeat bloomer.

Glad you lilacs didn't get bit, schoolhouse.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Love that white one Annie.My purple one is in bloom now also,and smells so good.It took me years to get that thing to flower!! I couldn't begin to tell you how many times we moved it,thinking it may be in the wrong spot,because it did nothing.I finally told it that if it didn't start to do something it's next trip would be the trash.Guess it heard me!!! LOL,LOL,because the following year it bloomed and has been blooming every year since..

I thought of you yesterday annie,iwas looking thru some pictures and saw my jacaranda,when it was dormant and realized how much the birds like that tree.It had lots of birds sitting in it,finches i think..Speaking of that tree,were there a lot of seeds in the pods i sent.I never opened one.

Kathi

• Chris_MI
    12 years ago

In MI, the lilacs usually bloom the week after mother's day, about May 20th. I have 12 different colors, with my favorite currently being a variegated one that has light blue flowers. those yellow striped leaves are so wonderful. with a hard frost for the last two night, I hope the flowers survive, and those that do will bloom atleast a month early. We had hail yesterday and cold winds all week, so the weather might still be awful for us. Lilacs smell so wonderful outside, but their fragrance is not as strong inside. Maybe its because I have to many outside. I do not like the spicy scent of Miss Kim, but it is better than nothing when all others are finished.
    I just got a baby fringe tree this spring and am eager for it to grow up and bloom for its wonderful scent in early summer.

• jessaka
    12 years ago

I love lilacs, and my bush is blooming great this year, but the blooms are blue and white. Wish I had picked up a blue one at Lowe's and hope they are not gone, and I have another place to put them since I have a crepe mytles trying to start, and I am not fond fo mytles.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chris_mi,

I have been wanting a Fringe tree or two...
    They used to grow wild all along the banks of the Cimarron River near here, but haven't seen any in many years. We camped there quite often. One particular evening their fragrance filled the air and their fringe-like blooms seemed to light up at dusk. I fell in love with them.

I'm also pining for a Tamarisk/Tamarix tree. We had them in the Mojave Desert in California. They were called, "Salt Cedars" there. :) Love their fluffy pink blooms in spring. They grow wild here too (Listed as an Invasive Species in the Southwest now).
    I don't think it would become invasive on my property - high and dry as a bone here. No waterways for 12 miles.

• Annie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathi,

Those are wild pods! Very Exotic looking aren't they? I had forgotten what they looked like!

Two pods had seeds, but one had the best ones. Nonetheless, I planted them all in a huge pot and it is sitting in the shade waiting to see what they will do. I hope they grow for me. I pinched one to see if it was vital and it was pale green inside - oh yeah! They were just waiting for some good moist earth to sink down some roots and take off! Cross your fingers and toes that they do. I will let you know and keep you informed on how they do...if they do.

Thank you honey.
    And Thank your DH for me too. ;)

~Annie

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

awesome congrats!

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Annie, I have a Beauty of Moscow lilac that I planted 4 years ago. Last year I got a couple of blossoms, but this year there are quite a few. Surprised as it is still quite young. It should be opening within the next week or so. I just love the smell of lilacs!