Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megajas

dianthus & roses

megajas
16 years ago

Hello,

We're re-doing our center bed and I finally have decided on the plants and layout. It is a circular bed with 4- 12x12 stepping stones in the center w/ a sundial on pedestal and more stepping stones bisecting the circle like an "X" (it is 10' across). In pots at the center of the circle in ea. of the 4 quadrants I am putting plumbago. In front of that I want a rose in each section (was thinking KO Rose??? other suggestions for 3-4' high or less everbloomer w/ scent?) In front of the roses is thyme (4 different varieties, one in each quadrant), all along the outer edge is heather and lining the stepping stones I want borders of dianthus.

What are the best evergreen varieties of dianthus that have LONG bloom times?? Perennial in Z7. Thanks!

-Bonnie

Comments (10)

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

Dianthus gratianopolitanus and D. deltoides are two of the best.

Libby

• PattiOH
    16 years ago

My D.gratianopolitanus 'Firewitch' is the longest blooming dianthus I've ever had. The color is a little wild though.

I think the dianthus and thymes like things a bit drier than roses. Not that you couldn't have the two together.

I'm sure your project will be beautiful when it's finished, Bonnie. Good luck!

PattiOh

• DYH
    16 years ago

{{gwi:584599}}

I love my dianthus! They are just outside the front porch in this photo. If you look across the stream, they line the pathway opposite my roses. They are SOOOOO fragrant! The spicy scent lasts a long time. Here in my zone 7, the foliage is evergreen and pretty year round. Mine are in FULL south-facing sun, so they are holding up great in heat and in the drought that we've had. These were all planted in September/October 2005.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Mist

• megajas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous! I can't get lavender to grow to save my life, but I LOVE it! I have found good luck with salvias though, so I try to pretend ... although the smell is not even close LOL. Thanks for the suggestions, I can't wait to go shopping and see what's available in those categories.

• memo3
    16 years ago

Just thought that I would mention that my Knockout roses got about 3 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet around in their first season. You'll love the blooms! Mine would bloom and then I'd deadhead and within about 10 days they were blooming again. They say you don't have to deadhead them but I did it hoping they would re-bloom faster, and they did.

MeMo

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

My Knockout rose topped out at six feet this spring as a three year old plant. LOL

Try a Valentine rose or a Republic of Texas...neither have a lot of scent, but they bloom like crazy. The Valentine is a tiny bit suspeptible to blackspot, but the Republic of Texas is bullet proof.

Both of those will stay in the three foot range and be very happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

this will be my second year with KO roses. I am surprised at the growth they put on and they're not even out of the nursery pots because I had no beds prepared. i will put them in this year for sure. i did the dead heading thing too, just to keep them looking tidy, but I'm sure it helped them rebloom faster, as MeMo noted.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I really think that the KO roses will be too big for that spot. Julia Child stays pretty compact and has a perfect yellow to blend with all the shades of dianthus available. I grow mine no-spray and it doesnt seem to be bothered by black spot. Here are a few pics of this rose:

{{gwi:232925}}

{{gwi:219665}}

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

'Bath's Pinks' are a long-blooming variety. They are compact and evergreen with bluish-silvery foliage. They will rebloom better if you sheer them after blooming.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

{{gwi:642279}}Bath's Pinks are just coming into bloom here, seen in right lower corner through the daffodil foliage.

Garden designer Jane Bath, who 'discovered' this dianthus, (which was then propagated for the trade by the late Marc Richardson) lives near Atlanta, which will give you a point of reference for where it thrives.

Small clumps will stay blue-green all winter and spread quickly in spring.

Just for informational purposes, those are Sweet William dianthus behind the Baths Pinks, white blooms, and multicolored pink to the left, if you want a taller dianthus that will bloom most of the spring and summer. There are some pretty colors available, including a dark red, almost black, called 'Sooty.'
    Nell

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21