Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Well, it was spring....yesterday :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Yesterday, my mom and I walked around in the gardens and checked on all the little bulbs, poking up all over the place. This morning, I woke up and looked out the window...and back to snow. Beautiful, but I'm really ready for spring! Hopefully, it will all melt by this afternoon.

So...why all of you are sharing your beautiful flower pictures, I thought I'd share my pretty winter view...at the end of March! :)

{{gwi:643015}}

Comments (21)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking - thanks for sharing. It looks so serene. That gorgeous winter blue always gets me.

We may not have the snow but we're stuck in the deep freeze for the foreseeable future. It's been blustery and frigid--well below freezing with strong winds howling out of the North Pole. I tried to go walkabout yesterday in several layers of polar fleece topped by a fleece-lined windbreaker/sou'wester with a hood pulled up over a stocking cap. I had on thick corduroys + winter boots w/thick socks. Even in full sun I was only able to tolerate the cold for a few minutes. There are snowdrops blooming and daffodils with fat buds on them but other than those and some new growth on last year's winter sown perennials, it might as well still be January.

• mrssims
    13 years ago

We have been experiencing a return to winter here as well. 81 last wednesday and then we got snow over the weekend, but just a bit. Looks like it will remain cold here for the rest of the week and then we will start a rapid return to the mid-70's by Monday. I can't wait!! This was actually a pretty long and unseasonably cold 'snap' for this time of year, here. Despite the frigid temps, though, I saw 5 hosta poking up alongside my front walk this morning when I left to take the kids to school. Extra exciting, since they all shrivelled up and disappeared in July or early August last year despite my best efforts to keep them alive (they were divisions from a bigger plant I moved last spring). Guess they were just doing their work under the soil on their roots last year.

Beautiful snow scene, btw!!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

It has been unusually cold here too even with three days of sunshine, it feels like mid January. We had much warmer weather afew weeks back and I was able to start spring gardening then with cleanup and rose prunning. Since then it is just to cold. Nothing wants to start growing in this weather. At least we do not have snow now. I hope your snow melts off quickly and spring weather arrives.

• ljpother
    13 years ago

We usually get sun to compensate for low temperatures. It hasn't happened. We have had cloudy skies and below normal temperatures. Daytime highs are barely above freezing. My greenhouse doesn't work without sun.

There is over two feet of snow pack; but it is starting to shrink. Two years ago we still had snow April 12. Warm weather is consistently forecast for next weekend. :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Us,too. It's so cold today, that sun is so deceiving. Thank goodness there's no snow on the ground like some of you are experiencing - so far that is.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

It is quite cool for the time of year here, but it doesn't compare with all of the cold weather you all are having. Everything has been blooming, and I hope this relative c oolness does it, and we don't have any more freezes, and I hope you all have a rapid change to warm weather.

lavender_lass,
    Your snow picture is beautiful...but I can understand that you are tired of it.
    kay

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay- That's probably because you haven't seen it most every day...for the last five months! LOL

It is pretty (which is why I took the picture) and it's all melted again. That might be our last snow, or it might snow again tonight, but we don't have any snow pack (two feet, lipother!) and it's not that cold, like many of you are experiencing. It was 33 this morning (just cool enough to snow) and probably in the mid 40s most of the afternoon.

We are supposed to see 57 next week...that would be nice! :)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I know its not a spring setting but its absolutely gorgeous. We are colder today than it has been and I hate it. Once the weather starts turning warm you hate for it to get back chilly. You will be out again soon checking your sweet summer bulbs poking their faces out of the ground. Take care!

• ianna
    13 years ago

yeah.. I'm cold up here in Canada. So strange that this cold weather is coming from the south!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Looks very pretty LL but I hope you will keep that white stuff where you are and not let it come up north here! ;-D We're having quite a nice late winter/early spring with temps in the high 50's/low 60's and seldom even freezing overnight. I really don't want to see more snow as it's going fast here and less mud every day.

Far Western Canada (inland) has avoided the harsh winter that the prairies and eastern Canada and the US have had this year. Several days ago snow was forecast for this Thursday but that's now changed to rain so I'm hoping no more snow this year.

• Cher
    13 years ago

That's a beautiful picture LL. Love the blue hues snow can cause. We are to get snow tonight, temperature keeps dropping already this morning. I hope this is it for the year so I can finish up everything.
    Cher

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    13 years ago

Lovely photo. Spring was here yesterday also, but because of the heat, not snow.

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Sigh...same boat here, almost a foot of snow the day after puttering in the yard enjoying spring.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Had to drag out my heavy coat when I went out at noon as it was 32 degrees and breezy with light snow on the grass. Didn't warm up much and had light sleet on the car windows later. Friend & I went to a garden nursery Spring Celebration. Didn't buy any plants as it is supposed to be cold all next week and I already have one basket of beautiful pansies.

Am rebounding with a virus I thought had cleared up last week when I felt normal and had the energy to clear out garden beds. No energy today. When I got home crawled into my bed and snuggled under the quilts then fell right to sleep. Feel a bit better this evening. Hope it lasts.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    13 years ago

Everything is white again. Except for a hosta bed and flower beds on the north side of the garage and house most of the snow had gone . Last night we got a few inches of snow so everything is white again. However it's now raining so it will probably be gone by noon.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I posted at the top of this thread about going "walkabout yesterday in several layers of polar fleece topped by a fleece-lined windbreaker/sou'wester with a hood pulled up over a stocking cap. I had on thick corduroys + winter boots w/thick socks. Even in full sun I was only able to tolerate the cold for a few minutes."

Almost 3 weeks later same statement is true except it wasn't sunny. I did manage to get more winter debris cleaned out of the beds but my hands were frozen stiff from cold. Then I had the brilliant idea to divide an ornamental grass that got a little too big. BIG mistake as it took me close to a half hour just to dig it out, then hack it in half with my hatchet. Finally set the pieces in a planter with dirt--I'll finish cutting it into several divisions the next free day I have when it's WARM !

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I was so shocked yesterday, as I was caught in a freak Hail Storm!!! And I was at an annual plant sale, where I remember a certain pink azaelia(In the front yard),that was so perfect last year, it looked fake, wasn't even blooming yet this year! COLD COLD COLD!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I feel for you all. I think I'd go bonkers in some of your climates! I was out all day yesterday in a T shirt cutting the grass, weeding, planting my newly delivered asparagus and sowing seeds. The daffodils are all finished and the tulips are on their way out. I think I would get so depressed with a long winter. Last week I was walking (I think you call it hiking) on the South Coast. Here are some bluebells on the cliffs of Devon to cheer you all up. But believe me, I had a VERY quick paddle and that water is freezing!
    {{gwi:11839}}

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

oh flora...that is such a lovely picture! If only...
    Today was a winter day for us as well. Started out snowing about 7 AM and it snowed, rained, sleeted off and on all day. Hard to tell how much we got as it was such a heavy wet snow. The streets and sidewalks were about 1-2 inches deep with slushy snow/water! But as the temps are dropping tonight I bet the roads are getting pretty icy. The schools closed at 1 PM due to the weather. Last year our last snow was on Febuary 21st!

I took these pictures on my lunch. All of my roses are starting to leaf out, the daylilies are up about 6-8 inches. The iris are 3-4 inches and some peonies are up almost a foot. Grrrr...will spring ever come? What a year so far. I have the pellet stove burning tonight and it really feels good!

{{gwi:643017}}

{{gwi:643018}}

{{gwi:256697}}

• ianna
    13 years ago

I hear you. We were warm last week. I even pruned my lavenders.. then it snowed and hailed. I;m now concerned that I may have killed off my lavenders. I usually don't prune until I'm sure it's steadily warmer otherwise the plants get too exposed to cold and die. Tomorrow it's rain rain rain

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's snowing...AGAIN! The good news, it's supposed to be sunny and in the low to medium 50s for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm so hoping my daffodils will bloom...finally! If they do, I'll take pictures :)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm