Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajpa_gw

What woukd you plant with rose shrubs?

ajpa
15 years ago

(I'm also asking this question on the antique rose forum, but I'd love to hear from this group because you are all so very creative and colorful.)

What would you plant with rose shrubs?

I am getting 2 rose shrubs in April. They are supposed to be petty disease resistant. One is a pink rugosa called Therese Bugnet and can reach 5'ht 6'width & the other is yellow called Morning Has Broken which can reach 4'ht 4'width. But when I get them they will just be in 1 gallon containers.

I am planning to make a new full sun bed for them near (but not too near) the driveway so I can enjoy their look & fragrance all the time. They will be diagonally in front of a small dogwood.

I am wintersowing a bunch of perennials, and will be ws another bunch of annuals, so I have a lot of choice on what to plant around the new roses, I think. I also somehow ended up buying 4 pink peony tubers from Costco yesterday (how did that happen?) -- don't know if they're a good choice to go with the roses?

What would you plant as companions? Any ideas/suggestions/dire warnings?

Thanks!!!

aj/Maria

Comments (15)

• ianna
    15 years ago

How about some evergreens and a bush called Diablo Ninebark?

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

Maria, a classic combination with roses is lavender. There are so many types of lavender you can choose the one(s) you prefer. Also catmints, Russian sage, rosemary, lamb's ears, lady's mantle, santolina (grey leaved and green), daylilies, purple coneflowers, sedums and other small succulents, just to name a few. This year I'm experimenting with sowing nigella beneath one of my old tea roses (Monsieur Tillier). I'm also underplanting it with lemon thyme. I have hot pink kalanchoe growing on the side. The ensemble is backed by a vitex which in turn has a background of blue ceanothus. There are really many choices to grow with roses.

Hope this helps
    Eduarda

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Yes, Peonies do fine with roses. Is there any requirements for the plants you plan to put with the roses? I mean, do they need to be drought tolerant or of a certain color? Do you want just a few kinds of plants in the area or a whole buch of different things?

If the area is droughty I would go with a purple Salvia, which would look nice with the pink and yellow roses. Sedums, Daylily, Euphorbia, and Ornametal Grasses would also work good.
    If the area isn't too dry I would go hog wild and plant foxglove, Delphiniums, Campanula, Iris, Anemone, etc.

There are many more options too, but I think it would be best to find out if the area is droughty or not first.
    CMK

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Something evergreen would probably be a good idea.

You know, I think I just saw some kinds of nine bark when I was walking with my daughter last week -- very nice, but it might be too tall for what I'm thinking. I was thinking smaller/shorter plants around the roses, and the only requirement I can think of is that it isn't invasive/competitive with the roses.

It doesn't have to be drought-tolerant -- I have to keep the roses watered after all 8-).
    I am WS Lady Lavender -- if that germinates I could put it there too. I like the idea of some kind of thyme or some other herb, and I could put coneflowers since the ones I have need dividing anyway.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I planted cheddar pinks at one end, minature daylilies on the front edge and Lilies among my pink roses. For earliest spring before the roses bloom there are hyacinths and daffodils behind the daylilies.

Nell

• Annie
    15 years ago

Also, Cabbages, Parsley, & Bibb Lettuce look terrific grown under and in front of roses!
    Ruffly, Cascade Petunias are lovely, too. Lavender & Rosemary grown nearby help deter bugs and add their fragrance to the mix. Cosmos...yes.
    Anything that likes the same environment.

~Annie

• DYH
    15 years ago

I love having lavender beside the roses.

However, we're in our 4th day of rain and lavender likes to dry out. I will probably lose a few more plants, even though they are planted high and dry. The foliage is staying too wet.

Cameron {{gwi:643104}}From Defining Your Home Garden

• floweryearth
    15 years ago

the peonies would go great with the roses. Not only would the flowers correspond, but both like full sun, rich soil, and good drinks. I've even seen a magazine photo of a double peony blooming under a big antique rose bush in front of an old fence. Quite charming! I have two Mammoth Rose peonies planted with my old roses.

Hope this helps

• Annie
    15 years ago

Cameron,
    Your Lavender and Pinks in front of your Knockouts are glorious!
    What is the Clematis on the fence?
    Slobber, slobber....just beautiful!
    You could send some of that rain my way!!! We are high and dry! I am mighty tired of dragging that 100 feet of garden hose. I am only blessed by having my own well water.

If drainage is a problem, build up the soil where you plant your lavender plants with a lot of sand, rocks and gravel. Then you can water your other plants all you want (or all that rainfall) and the lavender will be happy too.

~Annie

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

I agree with peonies with the roses - the rose garden at the Chicago Botanic Garden has a ton of peonies, too, and they look gorgeous together.

I like lavender with roses - and you can keep them up for winter interest.

I keep thinking I want lilies when I do my rose & peony bed. Maybe dianthus, geraniums (not sure if they would be happy in full sun, though), nepeta.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I added a pink Gerbera daisy and a lily of unknown color that was in the pot with the Gerbera to the pink rose bed this morning.

Sweet William dianthus is starting to bloom here and it goes with everything.

Nell

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Are you aware the rugosa Therese Bugnet spreads by underground roots and will be a border all by itself soon. I have it and love it. For me it just blooms once and that is it. It does smell wonderful. I think I should just cut mine all down and let it start over but it is so thorny.....

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the ideas!

OMG Cameron, that pic is WOW! Is that your garden? I thought it was a painting at first glance!

gldnol, I did not know that. Not to worry, every spring my hubby goes kind of hedge trimmer crazy and starts lopping off shrub branches left & right. I'm like "Nooo -- not yet ... too late". LOL.

• crocosmia_mn
    15 years ago

I once saw pink roses underplanted with a groundcover of tall, old-fashioned pink Heuchera --- I thought it was gorgeous, even though I don't like pink!

• DYH
    15 years ago

Yes, that's my cottage garden. It is undergoing some redesign that I started last fall. A few of the lavender fell victim to too much rain and will need replacing this year. They lasted 4 years.

The clematis is the standard purple Jackmanii. I have two on the rose fence and I just came inside from the garden -- they are already climbing.

Cameron

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor