Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
March of the Snowdrops

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 10:49

A true sign of early Spring in my courtyard border this morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: March of the Snowdrops

Wonderful! I planted some a couple years ago, but there are only a couple blooms. Hopefully some day they will bulk up enough to look like your lovely patch!
Thanks for the pics
CMK

o

Very pretty. What cultivar/species are they schoolhouse? They look chubbier than the common Galanthus nivalis. Snowdrops all over and done with where I am.

o

Oh gosh, I planted them so many years ago I don't recall the species,sorry flora. CMK - these have not multiplied very rapidly, only in the last several years have I seen them appearing in different parts of the border.

o

Maybe Galanthus plicatus????? Buds and leaves too broad for G. nivalis.

o

I love snowdrops so much. I have some coming up around my yard too. I just kinda shoved them all over, so it's fun seeing where they come up.

o

They are there under the snow when it finally melts, the true harbinger of spring.

o

So very pretty, mine are finished for this year. I have three different varieties, one I'm sure is G.ikariae, one might be G.elwesii (has two green blotches) the gal that gave them to me just called them giant snowdrops. The other one is just a small run of the mill with grey green leaves.
My neighbor has another that has two green blotches on the inner petals but they are a different shape than the ones on mine. Mine are all finished now so can't post pictures My elwesii? leaves are sixteen inches long now, my neighbor's, the leaves are only eight or so inches long but in full sun where mine are in shade.
I know each species have many named cultivars, I guess it's next to impossible to find out which ones I have.

If you want to see some very pretty snowdrops do a search for Judy's Snowdrops.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here