Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Memory Garden

Posted by misobento z5 Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 11:00

I am slowly creating a memory garden. My Grandmother had an 150 year old farm in the middle of Wisconsin, she loved gardening and many of my fondest childhood memories are of her house and gardens. In 2003 the house burned down, my Grandma was lucky to escape, but this tragedy changed her for ever. Sadly, we lost her two years ago in April. The gardens and surrounding lands of her farm are over grown and returning to nature (it's been almost 10 years since anyone obviously lived there). If any of you remember the PBS miniseries "Secret Garden" from the late '80 it looks a bit like that...so decayed and overgrown that you cannot possibly think anything is still living amounst the ramble.

Each spring I go with a small shovel and see what I can find, dig it up, and bring it home to plant in my own garden in memory of my Grandmother. This past weekend I found some Snowdrops, Siberian Squill, a small Yew, some Lillies and a perfect Weeping Forsythia branch. Last year I planted poppies, gooseberries and red currants as well (all purchased) because she alaways had these growing as well.

Every spring when the plants comes back, I smile because it reminds me of my lovely Grandma.

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Memory Garden

What a wonderful way to remember her, thru the life of plants!!! I have such fond memories of my childhood home's double lilac, I really should put that on my "Gotta Have List"

o

How absolutely lovely! I regret to say that Mom's once glorious garden has gone wild with her aging and no one else has a clue about how to take care of it. I barely made a dent last year, but will prioritize better this. I want the fun of dividing up crowded plants and moving them to newly created beds when I should first be digging out grapevines and volunteer trees.

o

How wonderful. You will have a treasure of a garden and I can't imagine that anything could make your Grandmother happier if she were still with you. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here