Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misobento

Memory Garden

misobento
12 years ago

I am slowly creating a memory garden. My Grandmother had an 150 year old farm in the middle of Wisconsin, she loved gardening and many of my fondest childhood memories are of her house and gardens. In 2003 the house burned down, my Grandma was lucky to escape, but this tragedy changed her for ever. Sadly, we lost her two years ago in April. The gardens and surrounding lands of her farm are over grown and returning to nature (it's been almost 10 years since anyone obviously lived there). If any of you remember the PBS miniseries "Secret Garden" from the late '80 it looks a bit like that...so decayed and overgrown that you cannot possibly think anything is still living amounst the ramble.

Each spring I go with a small shovel and see what I can find, dig it up, and bring it home to plant in my own garden in memory of my Grandmother. This past weekend I found some Snowdrops, Siberian Squill, a small Yew, some Lillies and a perfect Weeping Forsythia branch. Last year I planted poppies, gooseberries and red currants as well (all purchased) because she alaways had these growing as well.

Every spring when the plants comes back, I smile because it reminds me of my lovely Grandma.

:)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner