Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irish Juniper and the snow

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:24

We got a heavy wet snow overnight. Never good for the evergreens, esp. the uprights. This older Irish Juniper in the courtyard was in the same position several years ago when a coon or some other animal ravaged inside it to attack a wren's nest. I tied it up with twine and it recovered nicely. Let's hope when the snow melts it will at least partially do so again.

I've heard conflicting opinions about removing snow from evergreens. Some say remove it, some say to do so can cause more damage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irish Juniper and the snow

I shake or knock heavy snow off my junipers, arborvitaes, young pines, cypress, & etc, when they are so laden with snow that they do like yours. As soon as I do, they bounce back up into their proper form..

If left to the mercies of Nature, they will often split apart or branches will break off from the sheer weight of the snow, especially if there is wind.

With there is ICE, I remove the excess.ice by washing it off with the garden hose. The water will of course freeze if it is cold enough, but by spraying it, I have removed the excess weight of the accumulative ice. Then I shake the tree to remove as much water as possible.

It works!

o
RE: Irish Juniper and the snow

I went out to check later in this afternoon and the all the snow had melted off of it, but there are some small pieces still sticking out like the shrub had a bad hair day but not as serious as it looked when the snow was weighing it down. I'll probably do a bit of pruning if it doesn't improve when it dries out or wrap some twine around it again.

Part of the problem is that I did NOT trim this Juniper last season or the season before and it's getting too tall and full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here