Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Siberian Scilla creates a patch of blue

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

The Siberian squill (Scilla siberica) are blooming near the urn in the orchard. These bulbs were planted last Fall and did well here. Hopefully they will multiply.

{{gwi:198713}}

{{gwi:198714}}

Comments (7)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I am so thrilled when Anything survives me but it is a certain thrill to see bulbs coming...even tho I know they are "supposed" to come!lol! Thanks for the pic of the cement urn...it's one thing I have been obsessing about getting for my garden...but they are like $90/each here and I am just not paying that! But then I see a pic of one out in the yard and want it all over again!!!lol!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a garden center some miles from me where I have been buying concrete urns and statuary for years. They carry everything imaginable, both classic and down right absurd. ha. But in the last 10yrs. or so I'd say the quality of the concrete is not good. It tends to disintegrate after so many years unlike in the early days. A sign of these economic times I suppose. This urn I have is from long ago, extremely heavy and probably cost around $60 at the time, maybe less. It pays to buy quality.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

That looks lovely.

• Annie
    12 years ago

I only have a few Scilla left.
    The ones I planted up near The Little Wood entrance remain true and return year after year. Unfortunately, The Heathen, who has big feet and is not a gardener, fails to see them and mows them or steps on them, even though they are in bloom and I have painstakingly cleared away all the grass and weeds from around them. Grrrr. (And I planted them for him!) I wanted them to spread up through The Little Wood. The one clump of pink Peony Tulips he actually does manage to see and carefully walks around them, stepping on the one little Scilla at its feet. Ten years of this every year. I guess I just need to transplant that one and set it back behind the tulips with the other survivors.

Yours are so beautiful planted around your Urn.
    I LOVE SPRING!
    ~Annie

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Are these the species or the cultivar Spring Beauty? Scilla siberica should be used more often.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Lovely! I planted 50 about 5 years ago and I've got many hundreds now. THey are so crowded I need to divide them and spread the blue cheer around.

I do admire that handsome urn.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mantis, I confess when I went to my album of plant tags which I save after planting this particular one was not there. But I remember it being called "Siberian something" so I went online to find a pic that matched my blooms. I probably shouldn't have named it in the post in case I mislead but I'm fairly confident they are the scilla. Spring Beauty? I don't recall that description on the package. Sorry.

Well, I hope they multiply that soon for me gottagarden! I only worry about mowing down the foliage because I get anxious to do so even tho these are not in an area that requires lawn-like maint.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz