Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

The daffodils are coming up all over this spring.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have had daffs in my garden since I started with the garden and many years I add afew each fall. But last fall I went nuts and added hundreds. I just walked around the yard and gave it a close inspection and the dafffs are making an appearace all over the yard. The ones I had from previous years have the tallest folliage out already (even thought thats not really tall) but it looks like I am going to have good increase on them as I can see where I had a row of single bulbs I am getting some clumps coming up.

But I put in this mini terrace section on the left side of my yard that is a hill and planted daffs running accross in both small terraced sections. Then I put them running accross the other garden bed on the other side of the front yard, in back of the two rows of daylilies. On top of that I have another terraced section and I put daffs up there with tulips in front of them. All this will be easily viewed from the street.

To make the daff show even better the front yard walk leading out from the porch to the street now has daffs on both sides lining the walkway and I know that will look grand when they bloom.

I have new daffs also in some sideyard gardenbeds but I noticed that the ones in the front are up more as its sunnier. The sideyard is plenty sunny in the summer but shadier in the fall.

I bought lots of fancy types of daffs, including deep orange trumpets and pink trumpets from Brent and Beckies. Plus I also bought mixes by the hundred bag. Those I ordered in the spring. But late summer I ordered more from Scheepers. I got fancy mixes and early flowered ones too. I didn't mark the varities as to were I put them, I just wanted spring color. So more variety bags.

I am just really excited seeing them coming up so I just had to post. I am so looking forward to the spring show.

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

The pictures should be gorgeous, Rita.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am going nuts now that the bulbs are finially starting to come up after the long winter. Plus the fact that my computer works again so I can spend time on the forums so I been posting away.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also the woods hyacinths are growing like mad. Mine are all a blue color when they bloom. I planted them quite afew years and years ago and they have spread like mad. I actually pull them out now when they come up were I don't want them as I have so many.

• blueirismoon
    13 years ago

I planted some daffodills about 3 years ago. They come up every year but have not multiplied.I don't remember what kind they are but the package they were in said they were heavy multipilers. What could be wrong with them? They are not overcrowded with other plants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My first daff of the year is almost open. I am amazed at how much color and how near to opening some of them are and that happened from yesterday morning to this afternoon. It must be the warmer weather. At least it was warmer yesterday, turned colder today again.

blueirismoon- Could your daffs be in too much shade? Planted to deep or too shallow? Do they bloom for you each spring?

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I didn't plant nearly as many daffs as you did, but I did plant the fancy ones, and each time a ne one opens, it is like opening a present. I love the way they look. Enjoy the show my friend you put in your time and effort, and now you get the payoff. Post them for us.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought the fancy ones in smaller numbers from Brent and Beckies. That only came to 190 daffodils. But then I bought some of the fancier mixes as well as an early variety in 100 lots from Scheepers. So that put me to lots of daffs. But this will be the first time I have had any of the fancy ones as I never got any before.

Will take pictures as they open.

As many as I did plant and even with the ones here from before, there are so many places were I really need to plant more daffs (and tulips). I will just have to get bulbs for this fall.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I got a bunch for 70%+ from L_owe's this year. Each bag of 50 was like $1. SERIOUSLY. They seem to have all come up, too. There are daffs all over. and I only got the common yellow daffs from L_owe's, so I know which are which...!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the common yellow ones. In fact for years and years, that is all that I had. Then I bought some mixes locally and got ones in cream and off white and more shapes in yellow ones. But last fall I planted better mixes (from Scheepers) as well as more yellow and also many fancier kinds. I liked the deeper orange looking trumpets so am trying various ones of those too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it has been a strange spring for the daffodils. Now, I never had as many before as this spring because of all the ones I added this fall but I am noticing that while my daffodils have started blooming already (mainly the early ones) others are just breaking ground now. Different micro climates in my garden as I can tell the ones that are barely up are in colder spots not getting the sunshine that some of the others so. Of course, come later in the spring with the angle of the sun those not as sunny beds get plenty of sun. Full sun for most of them.

Plus the daffs are not the only spring bulb show I am going to have. Most of the tulips here broke ground and seem to have caught up growthwise to the early tulips that showed their faces first. I should have a stunning tulip disply as I put in many plantings of them.

Even so, I am walking around planning were I will add more tulips this fall and what types and color combos they should be. Plan on adding plenty more daffodils also.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Today I noticed more daffs are coming up. Maybe the mole or chipmunk didn't get as many as I thought.

I always like to plant different varieties in groupings, then use the common yellow for naturalizing and for borders. Now days there are many more to choose from in the nurseries and the big box stores, that's why I don't bother to order by mail unless it's a "must have".

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tha's the thing. Those daffs are not all coming up at the same time this year.

I have a lot of mixes too. And just plain yellow ones. For years all I had were whatever I saw locally which were always bags of straight yellow or bags of some sort of not too fancy mixes. So when I ordered last fall I still bought mixes as I think Scheepers has some nice mixes. But I also bought the fancier ones, especially the orange trumpet types in smaller batches from Brent and Beckies. I wanted some fancier daffodils. Planning on adding more for fall too.