Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Pink and Purple/Blue color scheme?

Oakley
12 years ago

Hi everyone! Long time no see! Well, gardening is upon us.

What do you think of a pink and purple/blue color theme in a garden?

I ask because last summer was a bust do to extreme drought and water rationing. Actually I watered my plants constantly but we lost a lot of fruit trees, etc. :(

The only plants that thrived in the heat were all of my Roses, Dianthus, and the Victoria Blue Salvia. Would you believe my Dianthus and roses doubled in size over winter, because that's how mild it's been?

I only had a few Salvia though, not enough to make an impression.

I'm definitely going to buy a lot more even though the others will come back from seed. So I wanted to flood the area with the blue salvia where other flowers died last summer.

Would pink and purple/blue work together in a somewhat crowded setting?

Today I spray painted the black metal edging white, and I can't wait to see how it looks against the pink of the roses!

Also, all of my potted plants on the porch died...in the shade. That's never happened before! Here's to a regular summer!

Comments (35)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Those are colors I use. They look great together, I think.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Meant to include this picture. I imagine you have seen many gardens with pinks, blues, and purples since it is a popular combination, but just in case you haven't, here is an example of how they play together, albeit not in a cottage garden. If you search the forum, you can find lots of examples.
    {{gwi:644494}}From Drop Box

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my, that IS a beautiful color combo. Now I'm excited! Thanks, Cyn!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Post pics this summer for us! If I can calm the galloping gardeners this year, I may actually be able to restore my garden which was all blues, pinks, purples with green and touches of white.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Pink with purple/blue is a classic combination but consider adding some white or yellow for contrast. This Gaura lindheimeri with Russian sage was a happy accident.

{{gwi:194530}}

• Annie
    12 years ago

I have one garden area in those colors, plus cream and white for accents. It looks terrific!

1. Newly planted flowers in front of Daylilies. White and pink roses growing around the statue. White flowering/climbing Enigma rose behind statue will clamber on the trellis-panel.
    {{gwi:644495}}

2. Purple Tulips & Hyacinths, pink Dianthus, blue Violas and etc.
    {{gwi:644496}}

3. 'Starry Night' Violas and Dianthus
    {{gwi:644497}}

I sowed white and pink Sweet Allysum for filler in and around the transplants at the path's edge.

4. Redbud trees mirror the purple-pink colors
    {{gwi:644498}}

5. Pink filler flowers mirror the pink roses. I planted a climbing Golden Showers (pale yellow and white blooms) on one side of the arbor gate and a climbing pink Queen Elizabeth on the other side. Lots of pink roses in the beds.
    {{gwi:644500}}

6. Cream and pale yellow flowering filler plants mirror the roses that will bloom soon. The Pink Garden Phlox below them will bloom later on and provide some afternoon shade for these shade-loving fowers..
    {{gwi:644502}}

7. Pink flowering 'Jane Magnolia' tree and 'Pink Flowering Almond' shrub with my new Pink Rose 'Simply Marvelous' in foreground. Pink and white filler flowers beneath the rose.
    {{gwi:644504}}

The daylilies will be all colors, so this bed will slowly transform as the season changes. There are pink, blue, white and cream (pale yellow) roses & irises and there will be two orange roses and splashes of red daylilies and red roses & red Dianthus in here later too. But the main colors are blue, pink, purple and white.

~Annie

• Annie
    12 years ago

There is also a large white Hardy Hibiscus, pink Hollyhocks, (blue) Russian Sage, and Blue Bedder Salvias in this bed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

A favorite combo for me too. I like to add a burgundy along with a cream color. Sweet William is nice, esp. the biennial plants.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Wow! Such beautiful pictures!

Annie- I'd love to have some redbud trees :)

Oakleyok- Nice to see you, again! I love pink and purple together...along with lavender, blue, white, etc. Most of mine are pink and white roses, with purple and white clematis...and lots of salvia, lavender, catmint, stock, alyssum, petunias, pink and purple bee balm, etc.

In the shady area of the fairy garden, I added some red bee balm, but still have lavender/blue columbines, purple pansies, sweet woodruff, etc. And a few red (on the blue side) roses, in the back, of the sunny side of the fairy garden. These are with lots of pink and white roses, lavender/purple and white annuals/perennials (like coneflowers, butterfly bushes, daisies, cosmos, bellflowers, etc) and a pink honeysuckle, on the arch.

My favorite color combination :)

• Annie
    12 years ago

Lass,
    I can send you some seeds. The dried pea pods are still clinging to the trees, so there are gobs of them I can collect. They grow very fast. They like damp places with good drainage. In the wild, they grow in low places, like ditches along the road and along creek-beds where the soil is sandy or even clay-ish but rocky, and they can access moisture. They are an understory tree. Should do very well for your area. (They are a Legume BTW.)

Send me an email with your mailing addie (again) and I'll mail you some! :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Oakley, that's a great combo, but I could never limit myself to 2 or 3 colors.

If you're looking for more plant options take a look at butterfly pentas, purple coneflowers, cosmos, zinnias, and angelonia. For fall blooms ... Mexican bush sage and Country Girl chrysanthemums.

• aklinda
    12 years ago

My garden is all cool colors - pink, purple and white for contrast. I use all the flowers that you mentioned. Catmint and russian sage both do well in my desert climate as well as the coneflowers. This year I am trying to add some deeper shades of those colors - I'm a little heavy in the pastel pink and purples. I think it's a great color combination.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Annie- That would be great! I didn't know if they would tolerate our cold winters...but they're so pretty, I'd give it a chance! :)

Do you know if deer like to chew on them?

• Annie
    12 years ago

Haven't see any Deer-damage on any of the ones growing on my property, but I can't say for certain. It won't cost you a thing to try growing them. I'll send them to you as soon as you email me your mailing address. I have them ready to mail! :)

~Annie

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Agreed, this is my fav color combo, with the white as mentioned. Also like to add yellow, lime &/or chartreuse foliage. Smashing!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natal, I had most of the flowers you mentioned in my bed last summer but they were the ones who couldn't survive the heat. However, the Zinnias finally came to life in August, so not sure if I'll go that route again. If I can find some miniature Zinnias again I may plant some.

I also have Coneflowers which only look good until mid-July, and I have a cute batch of smallish yellow flowers and for the life of me I can't remember their name! They're perennials. They also peter out around Aug. 1st.

The flowers need to be tall because they'll be towards the back of the bed, and maybe along the walkway.

I planted Cosmos from seed last year and not one came up! This year I will probably buy the plants.

I spray painted my edging white yesterday and that will really help. set off the garden. There's no room for fillers because the roses kind of took over the front half of the beds. lol

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

My mom's garden is all pinks and purples. She has a few yellows and pale peach roses, but pink and purple rule. It's stunning.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oakleyok- I have planted a few cosmos from seed...but they seem to attract the yellow jackets, more than the small transplants I get from the store. Maybe they're a different variety...but they all look the same...basic white/pink/lavender cosmos. Stock is really pretty in a pink/purple garden, too :)

Annie- I will email you later, today. I'm planning to get a PO Box for my seeds/plant orders, so they won't be left by the road, if they don't fit in our mailbox. And, more protection from the elements (for small plants) than sitting in a hot mail truck for most of the day...especially later in the spring.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

My landscaping color scheme is always pink/white/blue (or purple) shades. I like to throw in some silver plants too.

tina

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Pink/ purple/ white with hints of yellow is my scheme as well and i love it! The only color i think that looks TERRIBLE with this combo is orange, yuck! Pretty much anything else - in baskets or accents - looks great. Very girly i think.

• natal
    12 years ago

I love orange with purple and blue. Have a patch of orange zinnias growing next to Argentine Skies salvia and blue plumbago.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    12 years ago

Natal, I need your help, please see below. Oakley, I am no help with your project but maybe you could use some of these elsewhere to continue your color scheme.

Miss Huff lantana faded to orange and viola sorbet hybrid for the winter, 11/12/11:

{{gwi:644505}}

Natal, my purple gladiolus is blooming, the kind that almost everyone in Louisiana has, and I had thought that it was a native plant. But I have tried to research it and I guess maybe not a native? See below. Photo taken 3/29/12, color is really a deeper magenta:

{{gwi:644506}}

When I looked it up to get a name for my pic, the closest I could find is Gladiolus communis at Plant Delights where it is called the âÂÂold-fashioned Gulf Coast pass-along gladiolus.â Bloom is too short-lived for Oakley's project but nice elsewhere.

Purple gladiolus at Plant Delights

Native Phlox pilosa, 3/29/12:

{{gwi:644507}}

Princess Diana clematis, hybrid of native Texas texensis clematis. Can handle Texas size heat. Feet are on the shady side of the trellis toward the house, vine grows through the trellis so its head is on the sunny outside, 6/1/11:

{{gwi:644508}}

The winter was so mild that Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart' was blooming 1/10/12! Louisiana native plant. Works well as a houseplant in winter, patio plant in summer. Invasive and needs to be shaded from hot summer sun.

{{gwi:644509}}

Link to last summer's pics of my pink and purple perennials

Best wishes,
    River

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

That's one of my favorite combinations -

{{gwi:644511}}

{{gwi:644513}}

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I love purple and pink together. I have a new yard and I'm discovering many treasures this spring as the yard comes to life. One special treat is a few patches of wild Virginia Blue Bells. They are blooming now. The bud starts out a beautiful soft pink and then the bloom is almost baby blue. There's always a mix of buds and blooms, so the pink/blue combo is automatic right on the same plant. It reminds me of the last scene in Disney's Sleeping Beauty when Aurora and the Prince Phillip dance off into the clouds with her dress flashing back and forth between pink and blue. And of course there is the pure innocence of newborns in their appropriate shiny new pink or blue outfits. I'm an identical twin, so every birthday we got matching cakes or outfits or PJ's, but always one in pink and one in blue. I usually got the blue, since I wouldn't whine, but I actually turned out to be more the girly-girl than she did. Interesting.

Am I getting off topic? I'm just enjoying a quiet morning after a hectic work week. Hope no one minds. Happy gardening.

Martha

• natal
    12 years ago

River, wish I could help you, but I don't know anything about gladiolus. That is a beautiful color. Reminds me of our azaleas.

I have a small patch of purple heart under one of the crape myrtles. Even in winters with hard freezes it comes back every spring.

12 years ago

Thanks so much, Natal! You are right, it is the same color as some of the azaleas. I am going to stop calling it native and start calling it wild. I do not know where it comes from but it sure grows all over the place. Good and tough like Purple Heart. Thanks again!

• Annie
    12 years ago

lavendrfem,

Your flowers are gorgeous!
    Just beautiful as can be!!!

I love your colors and texture combinations.
    Where can I get a Princess Diane Clematis? Love it!

Oakley,

I have Black and Blue Salvia that I bought at Lowe's in Stillwater several years ago. I now have it in several places around the garden. It dies back in winter, but comes back like a trooper every spring. Grows to about 3 ft and has the most beautiful blue flowers and almost black stems with yellow-green leaves that almost glow. It is a great background flowering plant, and because it is a Salvia (Sage), it tends to ward off a lot of nasty insects, but hummingbirds just love it! Grows in full sun. It does spread a bit, but is easy to dig and divide about every three years, so you can spread them around to other locations, give some away or trade for other plants at plant swaps.
    Just an idea...
    ~Annie

• Annie
    12 years ago

Ooops, my bad!
    I had lavendrfem's and river_crossroad's posts were on in the same.

Oh, well, both of you have gorgeous flowers!

Love all the photos that everyone has posted and ideas.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Martha,
    I enjoyed your comments. We're all friends here - no need to apologize for sharing your thoughts.

Signed: the biggest blow-hard on the forum :)
    ~Annie

• natal
    12 years ago

I second the Salvia guaranitica that Annie mentioned. I have Argentina Skies (a light blue) and Black & Blue (a deep blue). Hummers and butterflies love them! They do spread, so you'll always have some to put elsewhere or share. I started with one patch and now have it in 4 different beds.

12 years ago

That's fine, SweetAnnie, I know how it slips when you look at pics!

Re: buying Princess Diana

I have had good experience with Brushwood Nursery (www.gardenvines.com) now in Georgia, that shows it on sale for $12.95. Co. gets a top 5 rating on Watch D*og.

The place where I bought mine no longer sells retail, tho' probably other places to buy as well. Clems seem to sell out quickly in the spring.

What a popular thread, we all like these colors. Beautiful, everyone. Thanks for the compliment, Annie!

Best wishes,
    River

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

• natal
    12 years ago

I can second a recommendation for Brushwood. I bought clematis, honeysuckle, and jasmine from them last fall and this spring.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

River crossroads, that could be a Byzantine Glad. You can scroll down this page to compare. It is definitely on my wish list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Byzantine Glad at Old House Gardens

12 years ago

Thank you, thank you!! That's it! It says it is called Byzantine Glad because it comes from Turkey and the "1629" on the listing is the date in Colonial America. "A wild, perennial glad" "graceful wildflower" "increases year after year" Part of our heritage in this area, it is extremely easy care, dormant most of the year, comes up, blooms briefly and looks gorgeous, goes back to sleep and disappears so be sure to mark the spot. Thank you so much!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More info on Byzantine Glad on another page at that site

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Oakley, catmint also does very, very well in the dry heat. The first year or 2 they need to be watered well but now I could probably get away with not watering them at all. Somewhere I have a picture of the catmint with a dragon fruit dianthus, it was one of my favorite pictures of the season. Some penstemons are also very heat and drought tolerant, they may be worth a look for you. I will see if I can find that picture.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Here is catmint with dragon fruit dianthus. You can also see the Rocky Mountain Penstemmons which handle the heat very well (they are slightly behind the catmint). {{gwi:644515}}