Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

Spring has sprung!! (pic heavy)

Hey everyone, Its a rainy day here in Georgia so thought I would sit down and send you guys some pics from this spring. Its mostly the bulbs I went wild ordering this past fall. Going stir crazy waiting for my roses to start popping and these lovely tulips and daffs kept me sane so to speak. lol! Enjoy! Judy

{{gwi:644708}}

{{gwi:644710}}

{{gwi:644711}}

{{gwi:644712}}

{{gwi:644713}}

{{gwi:644715}}

{{gwi:644718}}

{{gwi:644720}}

{{gwi:644721}}

{{gwi:644722}}

{{gwi:644723}}

{{gwi:644724}}

{{gwi:644725}}

{{gwi:644727}}

{{gwi:8157}}

Comments (44)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Truly beautiful, thanks for sharing and brightening up my morning. My star magnolia isn't even breaking bud yet.

Annette

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Wow - you really like pink !

Northern gardeners have it hard this time of year and a little glimpse of the future keeps us going. They are gorgeous thanks for sharing.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks a bunch Annette & mandolls. Yeah, I do love pink and realize alot of the pics were pink. Sorry about that. I have a bunch of purple tulips blooming and should have put a few more of them in but I was posting waaaay to many pics as it was. My flowers are mainly pink and purple with a few oranges and yellow here and there. Thanks again, Judy

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Very beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing some color with those of us up north! I can't get over how gorgeous green your lawn is already.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Wow, that is a beautiful garden in a beautiful setting! I love the shredded tulips and your walk through the woods.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The grass is new this spring which is why its so green so early. Our older grass is greening up too but not like the new sod.

• natal
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful yard! Love those shaggy tulips or whatever they're called!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Those tulips are just stunning and the garden setting with the blooming trees is just so lovely. I see you have some really pretty daffodils too. You have done a wonderful job in your garden. It's so beautiful.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Thank you! Your flowers are absolutely stunning. I miss the Star Magnolia I had at my old house. Some years we would have a late heavy frost and all the flowers would be brown, but it was gorgeous the years it came through. I don't know if that is a problem in GA. You have a wonderful variety of bulbs and such a peaceful looking setting.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments. I just love working with my flowers as all of you do. I can't think of what the fringy tulips are called and I have a purple one fixing to bust open. I ordered alot after being enabled by alot of you on the bulb and lily forum. Now my sis and sis n law are wanting to order a bunch for this fall. Now who's doing the enabling. lol! I especially loved the peony type tulips and the tulips with several per stem. You get a whole little bouquet with one stem. Definitely going to get more of them. I love the daffs too with the pretty salmony/apricot centers. Yes Bev I have lost my blooms a year or two due to a late heavy frost. So aggravating when they only bloom one time. I hope everyone has a great gardening year and I look forward to seeing everyones pictures. Take care, Judy

• memo3
    13 years ago

Judy, just want to say Welcome to the Cottage since I haven't been around in a while to have met you. Beautiful, beautiful pictures. Your garden is a real inspiration, thanks so much for sharing.

MeMo

PS...aren't the fringed tulips called "Parrot Tulips"?

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh...I have such a weakness for Tulips and yours are having me crave more, more, more!! Lol.

I love the way you plant one kind en masse to give such a bold, dramatic effect in your (lovely!) garden. And the way you pair them to match the azelea is brilliant. I also adore the Fringed Tulips. I bought an orange one in fall and am so looking forward to seeing it!
    Do you have to chill tulips in order for them to bloom for you? Will these tulips come up next year in your zone? Do you dig these up and replant them later on? And where do you like to order from?

Thanks so much for sharing your fantastic spring garden with us Judy!
    CMK

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

SO gorgeous!!! I especially love those bulbs around the bird bath, so pretty.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Yes, all these tulip pictures are doing me in. I want to go out and buy tulips again even though it is so early spring that mine here have not even bloomed yet. I love tulips, so pretty.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Memo, I wondered if that was what they were called. On the website it had one grouping called fringe but when I looked at another group that was called parrot they kinda both had the fringe so I don't have a clue. Thank you very much for the sweet welcome. I usually stay on the rose and daylily forum but love looking at everyones pics on the cottage forum and hope to add some of the flowers you guys use to make your gardens more of a cottagy (sp) type garden.

Hi CMK, I developed a weakness for them last fall while looking at allllll the choices on the diff websites. I hope to add some more this fall. I liked the ones matching the azaleas too. I am so glad they bloomed at the same time. :') !! We get plenty of cold weather so as long as they get in the ground during the fall we don't have to chill them in the frige. I know they do have to be chilled though but this is my first year growing so many so I can't give much advice. I don't plan on digging them back up so I hope they all come back next year. I am toooooo lazy to dig them back up. lol! The good folks here gave me some great suggestions last year to order from like John Scheepers and Van Engelen and both places were great. I also ordered some from Tulip World that sent very nice tulips too. I ordered quite a few daffs from them all too. I know theres some tulips that come back better than others so I hope mine are the ones that do come back. Thanks a bunch!!!

Thanks quil mommy for your sweet comment.

Thanks again to everyone and I can't wait to see everyones pics when yours start blooming. Take care, Judy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita, its crazy isn't it! We are sooo weak! My sister, myself and my sister in law are going to place a big order this fall so I am already trying to take pics and make me some notes on where I want to add more and what colors so I won't forget 7 months from now. How pathetic am I?? lol! Plus several of you have gotten me thinking very, very hard about starting some iris again. It never ends.............

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Tall Beared Iris are such a pain the rest of the year (can't really much them or they rot) but oh goodness, when they are in bloom they are just staggeringly beautiful.

Tulips, well what can I say. I have loved tulips since I was a small child. They were my father's favorite flower and he always planted them. Of course that was a long time ago and today's tulip varieties are even more beautiful.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I am quite partial to pink tulips!!

tina

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tine, I am quite partial to pink tulips too. Heck, i'm partial to pink anything. lol! Well, pink and purple. Luuuuv them all!

Yes Rita they are simply gorgeous. I have always wanted to grow them but I have always heavily mulched my beds but I plan to leave a section unmulched just for iris. Wish me luck!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I never grew Tall Bearded Iris until two years ago. All my gardenbeds are very heavily mulched so before I could grow Iris I really had to think about it. I ended up making two complety new beds or sections of beds. The one upstairs that is part of the larger plan of daylilies too has the iris section marked off with these edger block things that also raised the bed and kept it separate from the heavily mulched daylilies. So if I can do it, you can too. Todays tall bearded iris have the most stunning blooms in the most increadable colors and color combos. Coming from daylilies, were there is no blue, I was litterally stunned by the increadable shades of TB iris, especially the blues. In fact my favorite TB Iris is a very blue, blue one, MERCHANT MARINE.

But I still really love those spring bulbs and tulips come in so many colors and shades.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My mother in law grew tons of iris but they were the older varieties. Always gorgeous though. After seeing some of the newer varieties it got me to thinking I really wanted to try them. Since a couple new spots have opened up for me that I wasn't planning on mulching I figured it would be a perfect time for me to try them. I really am partial to pinks, purples and peachy colors so I will probably look for some in those shades. Who knows, I will probably end up getting some of all different colors. lol! I never seem to know when to stop.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

No stopping ever in a garden. There is always something to do and change.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Your woodland garden is beautiful, the grassy paths are perfect. Makes me want to try something like that this fall. Better start a tulip fund.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Your tulips could be in a catalog they are so beautiful! You have them everywhere and they partner well with your azaleas. Lovely!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks schoolhouse and gottagarden! I planted them all last fall and am already trying to find spots I would like to add them next year. It never stops. lol

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

really nice seeing all the plants I cannot grow in Florida.Beautiful!
    tanya

• llover
    13 years ago

OK prettypetals what about the deer? I really have deer trouble when it comes to tulips. Do you not? I love tulips but the deer do too!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh lets not discuss the dang deer. At the moment I have 6!! They are here EVERYDAY!!! I didn't think about the deer eating them until I went out one morning when they were about 4 inches tall and quite a few had been munched on. Wasn't sure if it was the rabbits or the deer but I sprayed with Liquid Fence and they haven't been touched again. I try to spray regularly, more than it suggest, because I have hundreds of roses and lilies that are growing like gangbuster and I will be darn if I will let them get those. I hate how the Liquid Fence smells but it does work great for me. I have several people wanting to kill them during deer season but its almost like killing a pet nowadays. They will walk right up in our yard with us out there working. They are starting to multiply though so we will probably let them get a couple of them since they do eat the deer meat. So yes I do have them but I try to live with them until they send me over the edge!! Judy

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

How breathtakingly beautiful!! Is the coral colored one Temple of Beauty? I do need to order that one again. Blue parrot is my very favorite, you should try it. I got it from Scheepers.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

They are so beautiful! I do love all of the bulbs blooming in spring and yur garden looks wonderful! thank you for posting them.
    kay

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flowergirl, thanks so much for the sweet words. After looking at my notes I believe the coral on is Beauty Queen. It just gets prettier and prettier as it ages. I will look at Blue Parrot.

Hi Kay, I too love all the bulbs and ready to plant even more this fall. lol! Thanks for the nice comments.

Take care everyone!

• viktoria5
    12 years ago

Pink, purple and white is my favorite color scheme ever in the garden, so I am drooling over your pink tulips. Well, better having people drool on your tulips than unintentionally serving them up as lunch to the deer... No?

I am wondering what the double pink tulips in the first few pictures are. Could there be some Angeliques in there? Please, tell me it's the case - I am up North and my tulips are just budding. Since I don't have nearly as much room as you do and at the same time like planting bulbs in drifts, I only planted two kinds of tulips, one of which is Angelique (the other is a white-purple bicolor single one - can you tell I luuuurve that color combination?). They are my first tulips ever, and if you tell me that those in your pictures are in fact Angeliques, you will truly make my day and help me sit out the long wait.

I live in the city so I don't have deer, but I have much worse than that: squirrels! Eek! They are ever so cute and I totally understand why you will wait for the deer to drive you over the edge before hurting them. I can't bring myself to harm animals even if these squirrels are the worst pest ever (and they shake their fists at me too!). I trap them in a Havahart cage and release them at a nearby park, which is not nearly as efficient as I would like it to be.

My husband grew up in the country shooting all kinds of furry critters as a kid, so he easily gets past killing animals. When he finds one in the cage, instead of releasing it, he drowns it. Yuck! I don't want to ruin your beautiful post by discussing squirrel homicide, so let's just say that, cute as they be and well-intentioned as they be, there comes a time when one can't afford to let them roam. I hope it doesn't come to that in your garden.

Cheers!

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Oh Judy your gardens are simply breathtaking. We can't really do tulips here in Central AL although some folks do. You mostly have to dig them up every year and replant them. SInce it is getting colder every winter maybe that will change.

You have such extensive property and it is just lovely the way you have planned it all out. It is indeed magazine worthy. c

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Beautiful tulips. Pink, which I used to dislike, has become my favorite color of bloom. My beds are mostly pink, purple, white and blues. I have added more daffodils as rabbits and deer do not eat them. Your photos have me yearning for more tulips.

The snow has melted enough that I can see patches of my flower beds and from the window I see two purple crocus buds about to open. Need to get the Liquid Fence out there before they get eaten.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Viktoria, I wish I could say they were Angelique but they are Foxtrot. I plan on ordering some Angelique this fall because they look gorgeous. I love the pink, purple and white color scheme too. I'm getting to where I like just about any kind of color scheme I believe. lol! Yes I would rather you guys drool than the deer. They are the dangest creatures. I found one rose bush in the middle of about twenty others that something has striped every new bud off of. grrrrrr..... I sprayed some LF last night since the new growth is coming on like gangbusters in hopes of keeping the deer at bay. I know what you mean about the squirrels. I like the idea of trying to trap them. I may have to look into that. The squirrels get in my beds and dig little holes everywhere and pull plants straight out of my pots. Yes they are cute little creatures but enuf is enuf!!!

Trailrunner, Have you ever tried to leave them in the ground? I planted the majority of mine this past fall but have planted some before that have returned. Plus you could make sure you look for ones that are known to return year after year. I would get aggravated though with the leaves during the summer trying to leave them as long as possible for next years blooms and would always end up cutting them back toooo soon. I have mellowed some and hope I can make myself leave them this time since I planted so many and plan to plant some annuals around them to help cover the leaves up some.

Hi mnswgal, So glad the snow has begun to melt. Those daffs and crocus will all be open before you know it.

Thanks you all for your nice comments. I'm so ready to plant more tulips and spring blooming bulbs for next year. It just never ends does it!!! Thanks again, Judy

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

Wonderful garden. I am so jealous of those of you who can grow tulips and the bearded iris. We have to make do with Louisiana iris and no tulips. Do you have a rose on the beautiful arbor? If so, what is it?

My dog and cats have harassed the squirrels enough that they stay in the backyard, which is all natural with a creek running through it. Before the cats and dog, they were into everything, digging up plants, turning over pots, tearing into bags of horse feed, chewing on saddles. They were worse than rats.

We are surrounded by orange groves and the deer seem to be content with the new leaves on the citrus trees.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi floridarosez! Yes I have Social Climber on each side and Polka on one side. I cut back Social Climber this spring pretty hard so I hope it recovers well. It seems to be doing fine. My Polka didn't really do much last year so I hope it takes off this year.

You know you could prechill you some tulips every year so you could have them too. You can probably grow so many different plants though its probably no biggie if you get tulips or not. I planted alot this past fall so I hope they all return because they are alot of work getting down on the ground planting those babies.

Thats good to hear about the squirrels and deer. I agree, the squirrels are into EVERYTHING it seems. I think if I were deer I would rather much on the citrus trees too. lol! Thanks and take care, Judy

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your gardens,pinks,purples and some greys are one of my favorite combos.What are the pink bushes up against the house?? We can't grow tulips here very well,i've tried though without much success.
    Really love those white daffs with the orange center as well.
    Kathi

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey thanks Kathi. The pink bushes are loralpetalums. Not sure about that spelling. lol! They come in alot of different sizes and with several diff colors like light and dark pink, white and red. They are a great shrub. This is the first time I have grown those kind of daffs and I loved them too. They opened up with a kinda darker golden yellow color and then turned that beautiful shade as the day went on. They are gorgeous. Take care, Judy

• pippi21
    12 years ago

You'll need lots of Liquid Fence to cover all those tulip beds. Those tulips are beautiful! I'm a pink and purple person too. I've got my eye on some China Pink tulips, and some blue delft hyacinths and making up a list now. I'm going to add some more daffs too. Do you happen to know the name of that daff (white with salmon cup?) Kevin Lee Jacobs that has a blogspot called A house for the Garden or A garden for the House(I get its name mixed up)has some beautiful Blue Jacket hyacinths and Purple Triumph tulips posted on his website. I think I'll be moving some of my existing tulips to the back yard flowerbeds.

• hurlee
    12 years ago

what a great variety of spring bulbs! gorgeous colors!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Bravo! Judy, what an amazing creation - just fabulous!!!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pippi, I ordered several different daffs from John Scheepers and not sure which it was but heres the ones I ordered. Faith, Mon Cherie, Rick, Passionale and Precocious. A couple of them opened a golden color and then turned a beautiful salmon peach color. I hope to plant more this fall. I will have to check out the China Pink tulip. Thanks, Judy

Thanks hurlee and Natalie for your sweet comments!!! Judy

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

My Yard wants to be Yours when it grows up!!!heh heh!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler