Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Glad I didn't pull this one out

Those never ending seedlings one has to pull out if you don't keep up with the deadheading. I missed this one, think it's a cross between Astrantia 'Ruby Wedding' and one of the species I have. I have a couple of more keepers from sneaky little seedlings I overlooked. How about you, have any keepers?
Any suggestions on a name I could give this one, it's really pretty in the bud stage but fades to white with green tips when fully out. Annette

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and fully open. Annette

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Lovely. What about 'Party Dress' for a name? It made me think of ruffled petticoats and playing dress-up.

I mulch heavily over corrugated cardboard and am ruthless with vinegar on things that manage to get through it. Likely diminishes my chances for gifts such as the ones above.

• roseberri, z6
    10 years ago

oh that is beautiful! that is why I am conflicted about pulling up all those seedlings but I have never gotten any that lovely. the only thing that comes to mind is I once got a marled toadflax but it didn't ever make more with that striping so I felt it was due to some viral recombination thing.
    my Zebrina malva and mystic Merlin malva just sort of combined to make a blurry malva not anything special.
    roseberri

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You have a magic touch, Annette. That is lovely!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another happy little accident. I found this in the same bed where the 'all blue' Pulmonaria longifolia is growing, this one has for want of a better description all deep rose flowers, no blue . This little seedling has a lot more variegation on some of the leaves than it's parent does. Annette

Original Author
    10 years ago

....a picture of the flower a little closer up.

Original Author
    10 years ago

...last shot, a picture of it in bud, even this is pretty. Hmmm from the look of one of the leaves a bird didn't think much of it tho LOL.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh Annette - those are all beautiful!! I am longing for spring!!

Nancy.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Annette....you definitely DO have the magic touch. Your
    varigated plants are quite unique. I'm enjoying the pics.
    All of the snow has melted. Now, I can sow more poppy
    seeds.
    Nancy..I'm longing also. Shouldn't have...but...I just pushed
    the remaining snow from the deck. Time to put the patio
    table in place :):)

Margaret

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Oh Annette,i love all of those,have never seen any of them before.Wonder if they would grow in S.Calif??
    Tfs
    Kathi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathi, I think they're good to Z8 but you'll never know unless you try :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Love that pulmonaria! Got the plain green with a few spots from a plant swap and one a friend called raspberry which has pink flowers. Doesn't have the striking foliage of your lovely.

Original Author
    10 years ago

"Party Dress" I really like that so that's the name I'll give it. Thanks gardenweed. I have a bunch of divisions potted up ready for our garden club plant sale.
    Now a name for my Pulmonaria seedling, any ideas? I have another seedling from "Sissinghurst White" but it's nothing special, just pink and blue flowers, S.W. turned it's toes up and died on me so I'll be looking for that one I really liked it.
    Then there's a Hellebore seedling that's a little different, I weed these out by the dozens, over the years I bet a lot of really pretty ones have gone on the compost heap. I just went out and took this, this flower is a little over the hill but it's the only one I could get a picture of. Annette

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia