Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Spring is just around the corner REALLY?

Our forum isn't very active right now, I know, it's such a blah time of year. Sooooo I dug up this old clickable slideshow of my garden, some things have changed some haven't. Maybe later this year I can convince DH to make a new one for me. Here's hoping it perks up your spirits (it did mine) and helps you look forward to what will be blooming in your garden in just a few months.
Please post pictures of your garden new or old it doesn't matter so we can all drool over them, help us cope with this lousy weather we all seem to be having. The last picture is similar to that we had a couple of weeks ago :(.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

Comments (25)

• scully931
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Annette. I felt it warming a little today so here's hoping! I don't have many photos on my phone right now, but here's one of my hibiscus.

• aak4
    10 years ago

Wow, what a pretty sight! Your hibiscus just looks so happy and healthy in that garden. And Annette, the pictures of your garden look like they belong in the front page of a gardening magazine! Truly inspirational. Thank you both for these very cheerful pictures... it's been such a long and cold, snowy winter I can't wait for spring to come!

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Annette, your garden is absolutely beautiful! I so enjoyed
    viewing your pics. What is the blue flowered plant?
    Everything is so lush and refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

Margaret

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

These aren't new--most were taken in 2011--but at least they're green!! With the exception of the oval bed in photos #1 & #5, none of these beds existed (except in my imagination) prior to 2010. All were designed & planted for the benefit of pollinators--bees, butterflies & hummingbirds. They're also named.

Burgess Oval & Burgess Slope (named for ND neighbors who originally planted the oval for my Mom)
    {{gwi:212016}}

On the left, La Musardiere (French for 'A Place to Be Idle')
    {{gwi:212018}}

French curve butterfly bed
    {{gwi:449321}}

{{gwi:246503}}

Burgess Oval
    {{gwi:246505}}

North Bend (full shade bed)
    {{gwi:198699}}

{{gwi:430391}}

Crabapple Corner (under construction when this photo was taken)
    {{gwi:196301}}

{{gwi:198907}}

I tried to post a few others but GW isn't cooperating.

• threedogsmom
    10 years ago

Here are a few from 2013 in my yard:
    {{gwi:644823}}

{{gwi:644825}}

{{gwi:644826}}

{{gwi:644828}}

{{gwi:644829}}

{{gwi:644830}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great pics everyone...
    Scully, love your hibiscus, that's one flower I've never grown, I'll have to rethink that.
    alenm3, thanks for your nice comments, I don't know about the magazine bit tho, too many weeds LOL.
    Margaret, the little blue flowering plant is a gentian, 'Gentiana septemfida'.
    gardenweed I so love your island beds, I wish I had the room to have one or two here.
    ravensfan, your garden has a true cottage feel to it, I especially love that lovely rose on the weathered fence in the last picture.
    Thanks for sharing your gardens with me they've really brightened up my day, snow still on the ground here, usually by this time of year I'm out there digging and weeding and planting, not this year :(.
    Annette

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

That gentian is right up my alley. Blue and MORE blue. I'm
    trying to add more blues to my garden.
    Everyone's garden is so beautiful and the pics surely help
    the waiting for spring.
    Hopefully, I can get out to plant a few more poppies today.
    Good temps for the next five days, however, some rain
    and sleet mix tonight. Oh well....spring is still on the way!!

annabelle w/oakleaf

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

some blues

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Hvn Bue morning glory

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

peony poppies

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I've already purchased my pack of Heavenly Blue seed. It will be a long while before I can plant here but I couldn't resist. In fact I think I'm going to dig up the perennial sweet peas at the barn's foundation in the Spring and replant somewhere else. Then plant the morning glories in that spot like I have before. The sweet peas just didn't seem to inspire me as much. I waited two years for them to grow and bloom nicely but prefer the MGs.

Also bought four packs of yellow Evening Primrose seeds for $.59ea. at Pat Catans (never saw flower seeds there before) and a couple packs of Red Corn Poppies to sow in the orchard weed and wildflower patch.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

more cottage mx

• scully931
    10 years ago

Everything is just so pretty! I feel like I haven't seen green grass in years! :(
    I bought some seeds yesterday. My usual: cosmos and morning glories. Also trying moonflowers this year, some shorter sunflowers and corn! Also four o' clocks. Planted them for the first time last year, then forgot. What a nice surprise! Keep the pictures coming. We can make it. DST this weekend! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

My favorite Azalea 'Strawberry Ice' pic taken last spring.

Original Author
    10 years ago

A yellow Azalea I grew from a cutting a friend gave me. I have no idea which one it is, it's scent is on the musky side.
    Annette

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

The azalea looks edible...LOL! There's so pretty scattered
    among other early spring bloomers.
    I'm hoping to grow some of the larger Teddy Bear sun-
    flowers this year to mix with hydrangea arrangements for
    the market. So many catalogs...sometimes I have to just
    put them down and breathe:):)
    What sweet peas do you grow? They're always on my list,
    but...I never get around to growing them. When spring does
    arrive, there is so much to do and it seems like so little
    time.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't grown sweet peas for years, why I don't know because I love them, maybe this is the year. Here's another Azalea, viscosa 'Rosata', can you tell, I'm hooked on these guys :).

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Annette , I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't love to have
    THAT azalea. It's a perfect yellow. I would call that one a
    "Hello Somebody Yellow"! Just one of my favorite
    expressions when I'm silly and serious about something :)
    I have an orange one that I'm babying righ now. I think it's
    an Exbury (?)

money plant

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

You're getting me in trouble. I can tell that they're loving
    whatever you're doing for them. So lush and healthy
    looking. Looks like doubles.
    They're out in my nurseries already. I should get busy.

one of my favorites...more annabelles

Original Author
    10 years ago

...and one more, I bought 'Chetco' last spring. There's two more deciduous azaleas but no good pics of them 'Dawn Corus' a white and 'Golden Sunset' another yellow. My garden seems to be full of yellow, not a favorite color of mine, must be my split personality doing it's thing. I have loads of Welsh Poppies and Corydalis lutea all over the place.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

a few of my angels...a few yrs back

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, money plant do you have the ones' with variegated leaves. I have seed for the mauve/variegated leaves and I think I still have some white flower/variegated leaves seed stashed away somewhere, I'll have to hunt them down. You interested Margaret?
    Annette

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Doesn't matter how much yellow as long as you like it. I
    have one bed that's mostly yellows and corals. It won't be
    that way for long. I mix what I like....that's cottage right??

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

As Shirley Temple would say"Ooh My Goodness"!! Yes,
    of course I'm interested. That is so kind of you to offer. I have lot of seeds also if anyone is interested.
    Annette, I'm sending you an email. Those will look really
    nice with my var hostas and liriope. Thanks!
    Actually....that plant can stand alone. It's so pretty. I hope
    you have seeds for the one in the pic.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Margaret, that is one handsome Brug, I was into them big time a few years back, I gave most of my big plants away and just have a couple of cuttings taken last year. I can put my hands on the mauve/variegated right now so I'll pop a few in the mail tomorrow, the white I have to hunt for, they're in that safe spot everyone has but can't remember where it is. I'm trying so hard right now not to acquire anything new, but thanks for the offer.

Annette