Hot pink, not as red as it shows

{{gwi:644974}}

Comments (26)

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

I had that poppy and it truly was beautiful! /\

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Now I can't wait for my Irises to bloom. Love the poppy too.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You might remember that I bought about 20 last year. This is the first one. I can hardy wait. So far none have buds.

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Those peony poppies look great!. Are they perennial in TX? I grew them from seed last year for the first time, and cant imagine having them bloom so quickly.

I still dont even have daffodils poking up, even with our crazy warm weather.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, they are annuals. Once the seed heads open their "little windows" (see link) I scatter the seeds. I figure Mother nature knows a lot more than I. I never wait to plant them as some seed package instructs. Also I mix seeds with twice as much sugar as seeds. This keeps them from all falling in one spot and also feeds the soil.
    This is about a bit early. We had a milder than normal winter. We never had a killing freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed head

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Your poppies are gorgeous!
    Doesn't sugar attracts ants, if you mix it with seeds?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have fire ants anyway, so it doesn't make a difference.
    Plus it melts when it gets wet.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Beautiful,that blue & white iris is just gorgeous,as are the colombines,and that poppy in the last picture.
    TFS
    Kathi

• grandmachris
    12 years ago

Plant Maven,

I fell captive to your columbines yesterday and succumbed
    to 25% off and bought a packet of mixed Origami columbines
    at Orschelns' this morning when I stopped by for a bypass
    pruner. Tell me, why can I keep track of 8-10 trowels but
    lose every snipper I've ever owned??

I'm growing to sow them direct tomorrow and hope for the
    best.

Grandma Chris

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks y'all.

Good luck. I found two more plants blooming. A very pale pink and a wine color. The origami are what I started with and Hinckleys and TX native red.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow columbine

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Wonderful columbine! Both the flowers and foliage are so airy; many gardens have too much dense bloom, and columbine add texture and airiness.

• Annie
    12 years ago

My Columbines NEVER get that big! I am SOOOO jealous!

~Annie

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow, your garden is so far ahead of ours in S. Calif.
    I adore your columbines, especially that white one! The iris is gorgeous- what a color combination. Do you recall the name?
    Renee

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee, it is Ocean Clouds. It is not as blue as in the pic.

I just have to show y'all the lates pictures of my great grandson! He is now 14 months

{{gwi:644975}}

{{gwi:644976}}

Some pics from a couple days ago.

{{gwi:644977}}

I would not have thought red and pink would be so pretty together.

{{gwi:644980}}

{{gwi:644981}}
    {{gwi:644984}}

{{gwi:644986}}

{{gwi:644988}}

{{gwi:644990}}

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! Texas is amazing!!! What a gardener's delight!!! Your lil grandson is adorable!!

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Oooooh, pretties! And what a little cutie pie!
    We had some lovely record-setting gorgeous days and now we're back to normal, whatever that means in New England. Brrrrr. My spring bulbs are up so at least I get a lift when I walk outside. It's days like this I consider flying south for the winters.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks.
    My older sister lived in Alaska and she said March was the hardest month. Hang in there.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Kathy,
    That little baby boy is absolutely precious!
    Glad you slipped those two in...

(HUGS))

~Annie

• Annie
    12 years ago

I love the two-toned pink roses!!!!
    Dreamy....

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie ~ the pink rose is Arch Duke Charles

The peachy is Buff Beauty

Of course I think Nathaniel is percious!

• Annie
    12 years ago

Kathy,
    My roses I grew from Yours & Diane's cuttings have really taken of this spring, except for one.
    This year when they bloom, I am making tags so I will know which one is which. (I bought tags, so I am determined to get er done).

The Arch Duke Charles has grown a lot. (All those bags and bags of leaves and pine needles I have been piling on really paid off - thanks again). Also the Mennonite folks told we what to feed mine - they use Jackson & Perkins, but they said that the Miracle-Grow for roses was just as good. They were right! My roses love it and after only one feeding they look better and stronger and have tons of healthy lush leaves and loaded with bloom buds!!! I am thrilled. They also told me that they feed theirs once a month, year round, and you ought to see their roses! HUGE blooms and so healthy and strong stemmed.

I do so hope that mine will look as beautiful as yours some day.

Nathaniel is absolutely precious and beautiful baby! He has good genes. That's a great name for him, too. He looks like a Nathaniel, doesn't he?

(hugs)
    ~Annie

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

Beautiful plants. I'm completely nuts for columbine - the dark purple lowest one is a color I haven't seen before.

Momma, Dada and baby are all cutie pies.

Love the poppies - they really took off at my old place so much that two different gents remarked "wow, looks just like the poppy fields in Vietnam" after that I got concerned everytime a helicopter went over head and stopped planting them.I might try a few, perhaps they won't like my new garden as much and they'll stay just a few. So easy with fall planted seed. I do the same you do with California Poppies as well - they naturalize here so why not plant them when the plants themselves are spewing seed? (they do "shoot" the seed, amazing when you seed a seedhead pop).

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE that red/pink combo!! :) Grandson is super -cute also. Thanks for the pics :) I went salvia nutty after seeing your pics last summer!

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Nathaniel is so precious. I love his expression. My youngest granddaughter is also 14 monthes and they are just so independent at that age.

And your garden is gorgeous. I just can't imagine having such lush plants this time of year. I'll be lucky to have my garden look as half as nice as yours later. It is really beautiful.

• teakettle2
    12 years ago

thank you for the suggestion of mixing seeds with sugar-I feel like such a bumblefingers when I plant those tiny seeds.

Your great grandson is adorable! I hope he is flying to your house for a visit.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

y'all are welcome. I am always glad to help or "enable" : )

We do love that boy! he looks very much as my granddaughter did at that age. I had all boys, so she was a "tad" spoiled.

Kathy

Sponsored