Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

try lasagna gardening

plantmaven
12 years ago

Here is a link on lasagna gardening. No digging required!

The before and after pics are my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: lasagna

Comments (9)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I still get weeds that blow in, but they are so easy to pull, and it did wonders for the clay soil - I'm a believer!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am not sure how that happened, as this was supposed to be on christi1931's post.

• Annie
    12 years ago

I am a believer, too, Kathy!
    Thank you for continuing to encourage me and keep on encouraging me to try it. It really changed my soil and my plants love it. I just keep piling on the leaves and it has been great winter protection too.
    Like Rose said, I get a few weeds, but they are soooo easy to pull out now. No more digging or cultivating.

Thank you.

• natal
    12 years ago

I never had the patience to try it. I want a new bed when I want it. Digging is back-breaking and I hope I've dug my last new bed. Have more than enough to maintain.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

How lumpy can your ground be, when you start the lasagna gardening? I have an area I'd like to make a 'deer proof' veggie garden (with fence) but it's got a lot of old grass and weeds that are hard to clear out. Can I throw stuff over the top, or should I clean it out and then start the lasagna garden?

Am I the only one craving some lasagna, now? Maybe some garlic bread? :)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Lavender, what I try to do is get the weeds and tall grass down as far as I can, then put the cardboard on top, make sure it's really wet, and mulch on top. So far that's really worked well, it seems to work itself into the ground and does wonders for my totally clay soil!

But, remember, I live in Texas, our soil is like cement, I would think your soil is a lot better...

• Kristi1931
    12 years ago

Thanks for the idea! Our soil is in pretty good shape, not too difficult of a time with the weeds but definitely something to keep in mind to try at some point! Right now I want to focus on a plan to fill in the bed more with some plants and flowers of varying heights. I'm okay with the digging but we do have hard, clay soil, so this will really help later on!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Ogrose- Thank you for the helpful response :)

Actually, we have some pretty hard clay, too. Cement (in mid-summer) is how I'd describe it (LOL) but slime, in the early spring. The large amounts of aged horse manure, we dig into the garden, is the only reason it's not cement, anymore.

This area of the yard is off to the side and stacked hay used to be stored there, then the grass grew over it...so a bit of a mess. I think there might even be a tarp under there, somewhere. We've talked about cleaning it all out and digging it up, since it's a good area for the veggie garden...but if lasagna style would work (and it will be all annuals) that would be much easier.

This isn't a bed I could start doing much with for another year, anyway...so even if we put plastic/cardboard out, just to kill the weeds/grass, it would still be a big improvement.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Soil and bed preparation before planting can make a huge difference in the ease of maintaining a garden long term. If you have the time, it's very beneficial to kill off the weeds for a season or three, and then amend heavily with layers of organic stuff. When I was in a hurry, I did resort to chemicals, but found it didn't really make much of a difference compared to deep layers of mulch or black plastic. Some think that black plastic will damage the balance of microbes in the soil, but I think they restore themselves pretty quickly. Enjoy any new beds you create!

Martha

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County