Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is now a good time to plant Siberian Irises?

Posted by sweetannie4u midOK_z6b/7a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 14:29

I have several packages of Siberian Irises that I bought in February. Is now the right time to plant them out?

I also have a package of Dahlias. Those too?

Or is it too late?

When do I plant the Glads?

I've planted them before, but can't recall when I did.
Old age...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is now a good time to plant Siberian Irises?

Tomorrow (Sunday) it's supposed to be up into the low 60s and sunny, so I am going to plant the above mentioned bulbs and etc..

This afternoon while I was outside hauling rocks, my Blue Tick Hound dog, Bonnie Belle, got one of the bags off the table, and chewed it up. I don't know if she ate any of the bulbs, but I only found three. The kittens may have batted them under the sofa. Don't know where the rest ended up. That concerned me, but she didn't get sick. Man, there was dirt all over the carpet and floor! She likes to chew up plastic bags. She must have had one swell time. What a mess!

o

Yes. It's a good time. Don't expect blooms this year though. Also, I don't know if this is true in Oklahoma but over here in Ontario, siberian irises can get too wide and large in now time. So every year I would have to reduce the size by at least half.

For dahlias, I normally would put them in pots with moist soiless mixes until I am certain they can grow outdoors. (dangers for frost over). And then I plant them out.

Ianna

o

I wrapped my Siberian roots in paper towels, dampened them and put them into baggies. Overnight, they started turning green and on day two, there are now sprouts!

They have the most unusual looking rhizomes. Hairy & ugly little things. They look like something a dog might do outside on the dry grass. Eeeewwww!

So, they are now ready to be potted. Will set out in the garden soon.
Thanks ianna
That was a great idea!

~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here