Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnelady

Starting a new cottage garden

DaphneLady
13 years ago

We live out in the country in NC. I've had a veggie and flower herb garden a little ways away from the house for many years and it was fine. We had a dog that stayed outside and she saw to it that the deer and critters stayed away from my gardens.

Well 2 years ago Cosmo passed away, and for a number of reasons, I haven't had a garden for the past 2 years. But I did notice how the Deer were decimating many of my perennials and blue berries. Last fall we put in a picket fence by our front door and after mulling it over all winter, I've decided that I'm going to convert that area into a cottage style garden.

It's not terrifically big, about 15X60 running north south, with a slope along one of the long sides. All of the garden will get full sun for at least part of the day and then the northern 1/2 will get shade.

Right now there's nothing in that space except grass and wire grass. My plan is to spend this weekend de-sodding the entire area. Then I will try to hand weed as much as possible to remove the wire grass and clover. Then I would till and amend the soil. I figure it'll be early April before I'm at this point. Last frost date here is April 20th. I've got lots of seedlings started and also have plants that i will be transplanting. I also have purchased some plants that I would like to add to the garden. One of my goals is to create something that even in winter will provide some interest and structure.

Plants include roses, daylillies, crinums,gardenias, false indigo, rudbeckia, painted daisies, ornamental grasses, echinaceas, rosemary, stock, balsam, holly hocks, shasta daisies, lemon balm, oregano, thyme, cockscomb and probably some others I've forgotten. I also have lots of annual vines like cardinal climber, moon vine, coral bean climber. Of course my veggies will also be planted in here somewhere.

Does anyone have any immediate advice on the plan above???

Is there a better way to do this?? Are there definitive not to do's that I should know about?? Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!!

DaphneLady

Comments (9)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Hi, welcome to our lovely little forum. I think your plan sounds wonderful! My one piece of advice is to take before pics! I could kick myself for not having many if any before pics.
    Also do u enjoy feeding birds? I have a feeder on a pole that I think is the focal point of my garden. I think something like that will add some vertical interest and provide lots of entertainment!
    I also plan on de sodding a large part of yard to make garden space. As much as I'm not looking forward to it, the end result will be so worth it!
    Can't wait to see pics of your yard and hear about the progress you made!

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

DaphneLady - I second lilyfinch's suggestion about before and after photos. I'm undertaking a major redesign of my little green acre and wish I had taken photos long ago to have for comparison. These are about the only ones I have but I'm glad I at least have a couple.

This is the narrow strip behind my garage in May:
    {{gwi:431402}}

This is the narrow strip behind my garage in August:

{{gwi:390904}}

{{gwi:431403}}

• mrtoad
    13 years ago

nice work on the walk - beautiful

mr toad

• frogview00
    13 years ago

Wire Grass? I heard the best way to get of wire grass was to move.

good luck.

Jim

• hurlee
    13 years ago

I would say place your plants in groups of 3 and up. When I first started I bought one of everything. The blooms were pretty, it just didn't look right. I have spent a lot of time moving plants and it always always looks better when like plants are grouped.
    I would also say I wish I had started with more shrubs to provide structure, height, and some winter interest.

• cziga
    13 years ago

I would suggest, after de-sodding, make sure you AMMEND the entire area really well before you start to plant. All the compost and organics you can get into it ... and then let it sit there for a little while and work it's way into dirt. It is so much easier to ammend the soil properly BEFORE you start planting, rather than after. I did not have the patience (or experience) to wait, and now I am regretting it :) If I were to start over, this would be #1 on my list!

• armyyife
    13 years ago

Hi Daphnelady,
    I think you have chosen a good variety of plants and love the idea of mixing flowers,veggies and herbs in the same area...a true cottage garden! The only advise I would say would be to try to make sure that you aren't hiding shorter plants behind taller one such as the hollyhocks. Tall, med, short/border plants..also if you can repeat a color or flower here and there as you go down the the border, by repeating a few of the colors it will help guide your eye down the border and bring unity to the bed especially such a long bed. Another tip that can be a little tricky is to arrange your plants so that you have something continualy blooming along the border so you don't end up with gaps. Look out for the lemon balm! Here where I live it really can take over...it is in the mint family I believe. I tried killing mine that I had in a large pot, the thing wouldn't die, had to pull it out and throw it away to finally rid myself of it. Yes, do take before and after pics...I wish I took more myself. Then you can post them here for all to see and be inspired! Good luck! ~Meghan

Here is a link that might be useful: hennypennyrosecottage.blogspot.com

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

What a great way to start the morning! Clucking chickens!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

DaphneLady- I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets can be such good friends and companions, not to mention helping you with the garden, and you must miss Cosmo very much.

It might be nice to have a bird bath or sundial in the garden, dedicated to your dog...and if they grow well, in your area...maybe some cosmos planted around it. They're such a cheerful flower.

Your garden sounds like it's going to be lovely! With such a long growing season, your annual vines must get huge and just covered with flowers. I look forward to seeing the pictures of your new garden!

Gardenweed- That path is just wonderful, the way it goes so well with the fence and plants...like it's been there for years. I really need to build a path or patio with my bricks. I'm going to keep looking at those photos, to inspire me, to get that done this year! :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio