Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Killer Deal

organic_kitten
13 years ago

DH and I drove into the country yesterday to an indivual's nursery that I had learned about from some nurses who work with me. I came home with four hostas in gallon pots ($1 each) and 12 azaleas in three gallon pots @ $5 each! Yes, five dollars! I love azaleas, and was very tickled to get them at this price,

I am sure to go back, because he has a number greenhouses we didn't even look into. I know he had shrubs like forsythia and a lot of boxwoods and conifers and the like. I didn't even look at the azaleas for $1.25 for a one gallon pot of azaleas.

kay

Comments (5)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

That is a great find with both the nursery in general and the plants you took home. When I was doing my shrub border I would go to Home Depot early each spring and they always had Azeales in Gallon pots for $5 and $6 bucks. No way would you ever get a three gallon for that size. Even the price on the one gallons was fantastic. I looked at the fancy nursery and the same types of Azealas were $35.00. Of course they were larger, but I didn't care, I needed a batch of them and the price was right at Home Depot. They grew quickly and are stunnung each spring.

I bet it doesn't take long until you go back and snag some more goodies for the garden.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

There are so many home or small local nurseries in the back woods here. There is one quite a bit south of us that I will go to when I get the garden expanded. Rumor has it that her stuff is amazing and unique! I can't wait.
    We are also so lucky to have growers outlet. They are very inexpensive. Perhaps if you dig around some more you'll find more little places. Do you have a local GW forum? People list some rather hidden places on our Georgia forum sometimes.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Went to a growers' outlet in Oklahoma last week....the hostas were mistagged in many cases, and some showed obvious signs of the dreaded HVX, with Monrovia tags on them. I didn't buy any. The ferns were hopelessly mistagged, tho I did get a few I could identify. The rest of the plants and trees were mostly overpriced, and not in really good shape. I didn't buy much. For such a huge place, they didn't really have anything I wanted, or could do better on at a regular retail nursery. It wasn't worth the trip.

I give up on grower's outlets, it's back to the trusted and true places for me.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

YAY Kay!! Its always fun to find good deals like that. Show us a picture when you get them all planted. Going to make your gardens even more beautiful!!

girlgroupgirl, I would love to know where the little nursery is you are referring too. I love to go to new places. Thanks, Judy

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Congratulations Kay! It is always a great day for us gardeners when we can buy plants at these prices and quality.

GGG, I would love to find out about the little place you are referring to down south.

Thanks! And good luck Kay with your new finds.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville