Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Crocus and daffoldils are blooming

newyorkrita
12 years ago

My crocus have started to bloom, not that I have many of them. I really need to plant more this fall. Plus the EARLY SENSATION daffs started blooming in mid February and today even a batch of the MARIA daffodils have come open.

{{gwi:8856}}

{{gwi:646320}}

{{gwi:646322}}

{{gwi:8858}}

{{gwi:646324}}

{{gwi:646326}}

{{gwi:646328}}

Comments (12)

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

I've got Crocuses, Daffs are still popping out of the soil. I have one or two that have unopened buds on them.
    Those pretties must make you smile every time you walk out the door. Happy Spring!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I have the "Ice Follies" so tall,nice and beautiful. They are strutting their stuff at present time. Sorry no photos

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Welcome back Rita, we missed you!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't do much in the winter. But spring is on it's way here and I can't wait for more green.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Hiya Rita!

Our Oklahoma weathermen are saying that "Spring has Sprung". Even though we had a mild, short winter, I am so happy it's over!

Are the orange trumpeted Daffs the Maria? So pretty!

I have several varieties of Daffodils blooming. Also the old-fashioned yellow Jonquils & Grape Hyacinths, and soon the Tulips will be blooming. Yeah!

Last year I planted 'Professor Einstein' Daffodils. They are short, but the blooms are fairly big, but have pug faces. So cute! They have fat, rounded white petals and a burnt orange trumpet that is very ruffled. They are not blooming yet. They bloomed later last year too.

BTW, My new Daylilies are looking really good! ;) Can't wait!

~Annie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Annie! Yes, the orange trumpet daffs are the MARIA daffs. I just love the color combo on those MARIAs. Love the orange trumpets. The blooms really aren't that big but they are really cheerful. In fact I like them so much that while I have those pictured in the front yard, I also planted another batch of them in the back yard last fall. They are just coming up now.

Besides the MARIA daffs I have other varieties such as EARLY SENSATION, YORK MINISTER, ROULETTE, MERLIN, COPPER QUEEN, MARTINETTE, plus a Scheepers mixed long trumpet mix and others. I do really love daffodils.

My daylilies are barely even waking up yet so its really going to be a long wait till bloom season. Fortunately there are lots of other plants and shrubs here that will bloom before then, including iris and roses.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Ahhhh Rita, so pretty, a breath of spring. I have lots of species crocus blooming in the driveway border but it'll be a couple of weeks before the bigger flowered ones bloom. The winter jasmine, snowdrops and the few spring snowflakes I have are on the way out but the hellebores are doing their thing.
    The little miniature Daffs I have are starting to show buds, I've gone away from the bigger ones but love the little guys and, on a warm day the scent of violets fills the air, as rambunctious as they are I'll never be without them.
    I've been trying to grow english bluebells from seed, finally it looks like they've made it, maybe even see some flowers this year. It's still a bit too wet to do much digging, but at least I can get some cleanup done.

Annette

• Annie
    12 years ago

Rita,
    I have Early Sensation Daffs too. We didn't have them in California, so when we moved back here (the first time), I got to see Spring flowering bulbs for the first time and fell in love with Daffodils right away.
    I have the King Alfred - my first to buy.
    Not sure what the other two daffodils are. Bought them at Wally World, and as usual, not named. But they are lovely and troopers. Bloom for me every year. They are white with soft yellow trumpets and deep yellow with yellow trumpets.

Here is a nice Poem by William Wordsworth:

"Daffodils" (1804)

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,

They stretch'd in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
    What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

~Annie

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Just lovely! We can grow daffs as an annual only. And I have never seen crocus.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know how I could ever get along without daffodils. And I like crocus too. But daffs and tulips are my favorites of the spring bulbs. And I have lots of unnammed daffs growing here too that just came from Big Box store purchases.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More daffodil blooms today and also some really tiny blue flowers.

{{gwi:8864}}

{{gwi:8865}}

{{gwi:8866}}

{{gwi:8867}}

{{gwi:8868}}

{{gwi:8869}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Your garden really puts on a show every season.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!