Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

I've been to the nursery - and got plants!

organic_kitten
13 years ago

There has been a lot of work being done by the power company, and they gave notice that the power would be off from 8:00AM to 5 PM today.

DH and I decided to make a day of it, and I went by a nursery and by Lowe's plant department today while we were killing time.

All of the plants wound up in the greenhouse when I got home since we have an indication that the first week in April it may freeze, and I don't want tender babies to die! Some of them will be okay, but the annuals must wait! I'm not sure I got the color mix I wanted, and the plants I actually went to get, a Purple Knight butterfly bush and a butterfly weed, weren't in yet. Too bad, I guess I'll have to go again. (hee hee hee)

kay

Comments (13)

• msrose
    13 years ago

Me too! I just can't stay away from the nurseries this time of year. I got a white Columbine that has the biggest flowers I've ever seen on any of the other varieties. I just realized the one I got doesn't have the tag, so I don't know what kind it is!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Yay for you! Isn't it exciting to go on your very first "plant hunt" of year?! Makes a person a bit giddy, LOL!

Over the weekend I got my very first plants of the season too. While they are very hardy sorts, they still will need to get hardened off gradually for a couple more weeks, as there is no telling if they came directly out of a hothouse or not.
    CMK

• natal
    13 years ago

First visit was last week. Bought purple fountain grass. Next visit is tomorrow. Hope they have lettuce leaf basil and milkweed. Only half of mine came back. I need more for the monarchs.

Pansies are starting to look a bit sad ... maybe I'll be on the lookout for replacements. Love this time of year!

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Power off, nothing to do at home, great reason to go out and hit the local nurseries. It is just too early here or I would do the same. If one wants to shop the local big box stores here Lowes is not so good but the place to shop is Home Depot and I deffinately do.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

This year, way too early, it looks like we're in for another cool spring :(. It'll be another couple of weeks before I'll even start thinking of cruising the nurseries to see what's new and interesting.
    It is warm enough to get outside and do a bit of cleanup, so that's what I'll be doing when it's not raining :).

Weather patterns have really changed here, I can remember when I'd be up to my ears in dirt and plants in march, nowadays it's the end of may for most things. I'm hoping for a decent summer and a nice fall, it looks like spring's just not going to cut it this year.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The weather is perfect to work outside today. The first thing I did was take the cold hardy newbies out intending to plant them.

First, I was distracted by the need to weed between the stepping stones to the place where I plan to put the butterfly bench and chair. Then I decided to clear some encroaching orange daylilies (Yeah, but my mother gave them to me, and she has been gone 10 years). I must have pulled up 50 or 60 little oak trees. That tree is annoying, and drops acorns by the thousands!

Then it was time to fix lunch, and, of course, I needed to rest for a bit.

I'm about to head out to plant.
    kay

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I went to a nursery today. They have an excellent stock of trees, shrubs and lovely perennials. Were almost out of herbs...and had no annuals at all - it's fairly early for these things, but it's been so hot here...they don't want to gamble carrying annuals that only have a few days of surviving the crazy temps...80 one day, 55 the next...

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I have to stay inside. It is only about 40 here so it is not too cold to venture outside but these is nothing I can really do today as we have a slight dusting of snow. Will wait for it to all melt off and then just continue with the spring cleanup in the next few days. Enjoy your day in the garden :-))

• mrssims
    13 years ago

I keep cruising the Lowe's garden center hoping for some good finds but they just don't have much out yet in these parts. So far I have snagged some clearance tulips (left over from Valentines day), a couple of nice sized lithodora, some creeping phlox, and an azalea. I have gotten an order of tall phlox and an astilbe collection I ordered from Brecks last fall and there is a collection of hardy geranium on the way as well. My weakness is clearance plants, and those don't come until later in the season. LOL!!! Those cheap half dead plants that I purchased last year are putting up some very hardy looking growth already this year!

GGG, my best friend lives in Atlanta and she has been taunting me every day with all of the wonderful plants she has been grabbing up from the nurseries down there!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There were three carts of clearance plants at Lowe's and I added only one to my buggy. (plant, not a cart of plants) I wanted another one, but I wasn't the only one shopping, and one lady put several in her cart...she is the one that drew my attention to the cart.

But I had bought three others that weren't on clearance. I have reached the point that if I want It, I buy it. There has to be some advantage of getting old.

I spent most of the day in the garden today, that was the first pretty full day this year.
    kay

• ripley529
    13 years ago

I didn't make it to the nursery but I put an order in for 32 plants including Lupine, Delphiniumns, and foxglove. None of which do very well in my zone, but I couldn't resist. Have to try these one more time :)

Wondering since the temps have gone back down to the mid 30's and upper 50's, if I should keep these inside for awhile or are those safe to plant at these temperatures? I have columbine, coneflower, and yarrow all up now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Lowes has clearance plants already? Spring has just sprung!

The local RKO has all their trees and shrubs in, good prices too, considering my friend some miles away was complaining about tree prices in her area. I saw baskets of primrose and some pansies too. The only thing I came home with - so far- are two packs of orange Butterfly Weed seed. I'm going to direct sow (as soon as it warms up around here - if ever), hope they germinate and grow.

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I've picked up a few perennials and some trees at the local garden centers the last few weeks. I think the extra warm temps last week really threw most of the big box stores for a loop and a lot of their early spring stuff got stressed out and they have it on clearance. At least here anyway. They already don't know how to water for seasonal temperatures, much less for summer temps in March.

Sponsored