Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
temps take a nose dive...

Posted by mrssims 6 so IL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 17:22

We have been in the high 60's to high 70's here for about two weeks now, and then this morning we woke up to cold grey weather and temps that never got out of the high 30's. I had alot of stuff poking up...some tall phlox, some astilbe, and a couple of very precocious hosta, that I am a bit worried about. I turned nursery pots upside down over the hosta because I consider these the most vulnerable. Do you think any of the other stuff needs to be protected until temps warm back up the first week of April?

Sorry for all the newbie questions...I've been out of the gardening game for awhile and have forgotten so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: temps take a nose dive...

They'll be fine. Everything here (zone 6) starts popping up in March and we can have temps in the 20s or 80s in April. I really wouldn't worry. The only thing you'll have to worry about is once things start to really leaf out and flower or you put in fully developed perennials or annuals. If you get a frost after that, you'll want to cover. Or, as I do, just get up BEFORE THE SUN HITS THEM and hose them off.

Good luck! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here