Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Spring Daffodils are starting to bloom (pics)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

The Daffodils are starting here and giving me my spring color. But its still cold out!

{{gwi:646733}}

There is ice in the frozen over pond today.

{{gwi:646736}}

The only perennials showing growth are these little lupines near the south side foundation.

{{gwi:646738}}

See, a pretty daff blooming in the cold sunshine.

{{gwi:646741}}

Here it is with the ones around it.

{{gwi:646745}}

They are all planted at the foot of the front yard trellis that has honeysuckle growing on it.

{{gwi:646748}}

There are tulips planted in front of the daffs.

{{gwi:646752}}

From further away one can see the next terrace with daylilies just coming up and more daffs planted just in back of those daylilies. Only one is blooming there from the row planted.

{{gwi:646755}}

That side of the front yard taken from the long view.

{{gwi:646758}}

And then there is the other side of the front were the daffs are starting to bloom in the belgium block mini terraces put in late last summer. Then I planted the bulbs in the fall.

{{gwi:646760}}

Long view.

Comments (11)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Yay Rita so glad you are getting some color. Isn't that a new pond for this year? All your terrace work looks so good and I know you can't wait til all your roses and lilies are blooming too. Its always so beautiful. We are getting rain and hail here tonight. grrrrr!! I hope the hail doesn't damage any of my spring blooming plants. Judy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I have had that 35 gallon pond for many years. In fact it is one of two 35 gallon ponds I have. This one is inground and the other is one of those above ground patio ponds. Only mine is not on the patio but in my woodsey shrub border.

Then I also have my third and most recent pond which is a 350 gallon stocktank that is inground.

The roses have barely begon to think about sprouting leaves. It's hard to imagine from looking at todays pictures how thick and colorful those roses look blooming in early June.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I hope my husband will decide to break down and put us in a small pond. I love them. I knew you had talked about a new one but couldn't remember which one it was. Wow, a 350 gallon will be much bigger. Yay!!

It seems like once the warmth comes everything just kicks into overdrive. Ready to see them all blooming too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its been really cold the past few days. I have my roses all prunned down for spring as I did them the other week when it was much warmer. If it was as cold as now, I would not have been out there gardening. Even so I have had to do my gardening so far this year in my old winter coat.

• memo3
    13 years ago

Hi Rita, your daffs are looking so lovely and full of sunshine. I've thought of you and your gardens several times over the winter and can barely wait to see all of the wonderful new flowers you'll have this coming season. I'm especially looking forward to seeing all the new clematis and lupines. Have a great Spring!

MeMo

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Most years I add lots of daylilies and that is not so this year as I am out of room for them. So I didn't buy even one new daylily over the winter for spring planting. Plus the past two years I have put in so many Tall Bearded Iris that I don't have room for more there either so didn't buy those either.

I am actually very glad as I can focus more on the cottage garden effect here. I did order four more clematis for this spring from the same place as I went overboard buying from last season. Then of couse I am anxiously waiting to see if my Lupines come up this spring but it is still simply too early. Those ones in the picture are on the other side of the house in a very sheltered location near the house so they are my only perennials to start growing already this spring.

I don't know what I will do if those Lupines don't come up as I was simply totally bowled over by them last year. Probably just go back to that nursery later and buy more. I know I will not have total sucess as the original two lupines I bought and planted in the back garden died by the end of summer before fall.

But I planted so many bulbs last fall and am so looking forward to seeing them all bloom. I am already thinking about what bulbs I will plant for this fall.

Thanks for thinking of me and my garden. I can't wait until it all greens up.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

It is coming along, Rita. the daffodils are lovely, and having so many of them, they will really be nice. The warm weather is on its way. We are a little cool today, but I hope it just stays cool and no more frost. Can't count on it though.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The funny part is that I thought I put in so many daffs last fall (and I really did) but now it doesn't seem like nearly enough! And I mean twice as many wouldn't even be enough. But it is impossible to do all at once and I so did want all those tulips and dutch iris that I also planted.

I was walking around the yard shortly after noon looking at everything in the garden and it was COLD out there. Even wearing the winter coat. Too cold for me to garden, I think the ground is frozen anyway. The ponds are iced over. So I will just wait for the warmer weather supposedly coming at the end of this week. Still I have to go out once a day and see all my daffodils and whatever else is growing.

I want to get some Asiatic Lily bulbs but I guess it is too early. I was looking at Woodenshoe (the lily one, not the tulip farm) and their sister company Enie Flower Bulbs but neither site allows for spring ordering of Lilies yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:646763}}

The R Early Sensations today.

{{gwi:646766}}

Then I have these little daffs opening in the front yard.

{{gwi:646768}}

Closeup

{{gwi:646770}}

The left side is looking good too with the daffodil mix starting to bloom.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Rita! My yard is a 1/2 acre, and 1/2 of that is tiered! Arg! But I love it! Even tho I have already broken my ankle(layed out there till hubby came home(we are sorta out in the country) and bruised my tail bone... I just can't seem to stay away from trying to tame this 1/2 of the yard!lol! I have no money so do everything on a No-Budget, which includes using free tires(130!) to create a slope, to get down the "back 40)I scrounge materials, just got 80 building blocks(as you know, is a small amount!)(But I have to load them in my utility trailer,unload them at my place,move them to where they are going(200ft)downhill) to do some raised beds on these slopes. Anyhoo, Your pics are soooo inspiring for me> Thank You!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It took me years to get all the terreaced and raised gardens done here, one project at a time. I can't do it myself, too heavy with all the rocks and pavers and dirt. Plus I don't know how. But it definately is worth the extra effert. I love the multi level look and it is deffinately worth it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA