Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsgalihad

Questions on transplantability

mrsgalihad
11 years ago

So as I mentioned in the 2013 Garden thread we are moving this spring and I am bringing my garden (as much as I can) with me. I do have a few plants I'm not so sure about how well they transplant. Timing wise everything will be moved or not by May 31 as that is when our lease is up. So here is the list. Any input at all is helpful.

Perennial Poppy - been in the ground since spring 2011 so it's not huge.

Baptista - a yellow one is 4 years old and the purple is just from last spring

Lavender Lady - I think this is something I want to place right away rather than hold and transplant twice right?

Candytuft - I've heard mixed views on transplanting this and my plant is pretty big

Sage (culinary) - another one with mixed reviews, I could leave this behind if results would be poor

Echinops - tap rooted right?

Dracunculus vulgaris - I've done this one before but I can't remember for sure if the spring or the fall moving was more successful

Comments (5)

• thinman
    11 years ago

I can speak from experience only for the baptisia. It will take a lot of abuse and bounce back. I chopped a chunk from one of my sister's plants and then ripped it into five or six sections of root, which I got around to planting a few days later. All the plants survived and are still doing well.

ThinMan

• Annie
    11 years ago

When I have moved in the past, I potted up almost everything. Somethings went into the ground right away, but others sat in the pots for a few weeks with no ill affects.

I still pot up things and leave them until I figure out where I am going to plant or transplant them. I even leave them out through the winter with no ill affects. No problems. (with the exception being that annuals cannot be over-wintered in my area).
    I put mulch or leaves around the bottom of the pots to help keep the roots damp and cool.

If you tend to their needs, watering them and occasionally feeding them or adding some compost, they can sit like that indefinitely, just like at nurseries.

~Annie

• luckygal
    11 years ago

In my experience most plants can be moved IF one takes enough soil with the root, keeps them moist and out of full sun, and plants them ASAP. However, I've often put perennials into pots when I don't know where to put them. Sometimes I bury the pot in the soil.

However, anything with a taproot will be more difficult altho I've moved many Oriental Poppies with success. They flop and pout and languish for awhile but usually come back.

If plants have good soil, sufficient moisture, and the correct amount of light they do well. If not, don't count on success.

All best wishes on your move! :)

• mrsgalihad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Thinman - I'm very glad to hear about the Baptista. That is one I particularly want to bring with me.

Annie - As far as potting things up goes, I'm not going to do many that way. I've struggled to keep things in pots alive since moving here. Did that sort of thing in PA all the time. Not sure why I can't manage it here.

Luckygal - When I was thinking about my poppy I was sort of picturing digging out a flowerpot shaped chunk of soil and then having a big hole to fill in. Your comments decided for me that that is the way to go. Pouting I'm ok with as long as things live.

Thinking out loud... it might be best to leave my sage behind. It will be something for the next tenant that doesn't really need any special care. It does seem to thrive here.

• ianna
    11 years ago

May I add that you should give your plants a good watering a couple of hours before transplanting, so it will have enough water in their system to sustain them in case of transplant shock.

most of your plants will survive. I'm not too sure about the echinops though. I have one in my garden front yard and had a difficult time digging it out - and so I managed to break the taproot causing the plant to die. Tap roots are just hard to extract. However the darn plant keeps coming back from whatever remained behind. So perhaps there's a chance a portion of the root would be all you need.