Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Problem area at property line

Sandi_W
12 years ago

I bought an older home this past fall and just today worked my way to this area.

{{gwi:648909}}

The property line is just beyond the crapemyrtle abt 1' down the slope. There is a row of crepemyrtles along part of the line.

You can't really tell from the pic but the slope is about 6' to 8' wide from the top down to the neighbor's drive and about 6' high.

I am going to put a 4' tall metal fence along this line, but what can I plant along the fence line that will be dense enough to stop the weeds from coming across the line. I don't expect any grooming to be done on her side. I know I have to be careful because of the crepemyrtle roots. I think I would like something no taller than 18" as I love the tree trunks. This is on the southwest side and gets full sun all day. The trees are abt 30' tall so no shading from them until very late in the day. The pile of greenery in the right foreground is weeds and vines I pulled and cut today from that one little area.

Comments (9)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

You probably won't hurt the crepemyrtle's root system.
    It took me 4 years to kill one here. It never got pretty and had mildew all the time.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks plantmaven. I was told that if I nick the roots I'll probably get suckers coming up so I want to avoid that also. I still haven't figured out what to plant there yet.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

What part o the country are you in?
    That is true, re the CM. Once you have a fence, make a flower bed several feet inside the fence and mulch heavily. DO NOT use weed block. It just does not work and causes more problems. I put down cheap roofing paper, which eventually rots and that holds the mulch until it settles.
    If it were I, I would put a row of bricks or something at the bottom of the fence to keep the mulch from washing away.

Read about lasagna gardening.
    Clear as mud, right.

Here is a link that might be useful: my lasagna gardening

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm just 40 miles or so southeast of central MS. I've been using cardboard and newspaper mulched over for years now, but I didn't know back then that it was called lasagna gardening. I don't add soil on top. I just wait for the grass and weeds to die and begin planting using good potting soil. I've had very good results this way. It just takes patience which I admit I don't have much of. I did think abt bricks along the fence, but hoped to use plants instead. Bricks it will have to be.
    I read the post you added. It was a very clear explanation and your front yard is as beautiful as you back. Thanks for your help.

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Put stella d'oro in! They will fill the area easily, bloom all season and are maintenance free.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought abt daylilies, which I love, but they won't stop the weeds. There are lots and lots of thorny (those huge thorns) vines that are (or were) even growing up the CMs. I've cut them back to the ground and pulled them down, but I know I'll be fighting them a long time. Also 2 other kinds of vines that spread along the ground. If I wasn't worried abt the CMs I'd use roundup.

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

Nothing is going to stop weeds and vines from infiltrating across the property line. Roundup won't hurt the crape myrtle if you don't let any of it drift onto the foliage. A row of dwarf yaupons would give you a bit of a barrier, and screen the view of the mess on the other side. They would need an occasional haircut, though, to keep them at 18".

• natal
    11 years ago

Nothing will stop the weeds for good. Even if you clean them out now, you'll still have to do yearly maintenance. I like to use trailing lantanas under crape myrtles.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you whitecap2 & natal. I have dwarf yaupons in foundation beds and they get taller than I would like for that area although it would be nice to hide the view there. I love the idea of trailing lantana.
    I've never met the neighbor, but am going to ask her if she would mind the lantana trailing down her slope. I would love to plant the lantana a little way down the slope and let it spread up and down. Maybe some evergreen daylilies scattered around.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz