Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On to Roses Help

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 21:45

I am going to plant some Old Garden Roses soon, and I am preparing some of the sspace for them...On the side of the shed with the window (12 feet long) I have prepared a place 12"X4". I plan to plant Mrs B R Cant, a teas rose there. Do you know if there is room to plant one or two or no other smaller roses in that space?

TIA
kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On to Roses Help

Kay, I have Mrs. B R Cant...she's three years old and right now about 4' tall and wide, this after a very recent pruning. I don't think she gets huge. You could probably do two and a climber or rambler in the middle on a trellis. Some people do not like squishing their roses, it can transmit disease. I grow mine fairly close and they are OK (as long as I choose disease resistant varieties). Here our roses do not bloom much in the heat, so adding another vine on the climber works nicely (especially when/if they defoliate from black spot).
Do you like roses with small flowers? Darlow's Engima is very disease resistant for me, is very controllable, has tiny white flowers with a real rose fragrance and blooms on and off all summer. I prune it all summer for size, and it's one of my favorites.

o

Kay- I don't know anything about the size of the rose you are planning to plant so can't be any help there. But whether you go for just one or plant a grouping of roses depends on the look that you want to go for. Personally I love the smushed look with my roses and plant close and in groupings. But you have to prune more often with my method and you definately need to spray fungicides regularily if your roses are more closely together.

For more modern roses with the old rose look check out many of the Clements roses at Heirloom roses. I am crazy about Heirloom roses and have posted many pictures of my Clements roses in the past two years.

o

Thanks you girlgroup and my friend Rita,

I ordered these roses last fall and winter. I tend to love my plants close, and I do spray regularly (tomorow's the day, again).

Girlgroup, that's a big help since I wanted to plant others with Mrs BR Cant, so I will do it
kay

o

Winter shopping usually means time to clear or create gardenbeds in the spring. Truthfully I am surprised that you only ordered the one rose for spring delivery LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here