Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justkristyj

New clematis

justkristyj
11 years ago

Bought several new clematis from birdsongplants.com, and I am very happy. Praying the nice big roots translate into nice big blooms:)

Comments (8)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Susan on the rose forum uses them too...I think they also sell on eBay. It looks like they have a good clematis selection.

• Annie
    11 years ago

I have several Clematis myself:

(1) pink Nelly Moser, (2 ) blue H.F. Young, (1) red Voluceau, and several of the old-time white Sweet Autumn that fill the garden with their perfume in late summer..

This year want to get, purple Jackmanii, white, Henryi, and a new variety I spied at WalMart that I may try. - quite exotic looking!

They grow very well with cl. roses too. (the photo below is of my H.F. Young Clematis growing in with Old Blush climbing rose. It is an intense Blue-violet colour.

After being cut way back in March, by April it had grown about 18 inches and was blooming. By June, the vines had grown up into the rose canes about three to four feet. It repeat blooms if fed and kept moist (at least where I live). I love the fluffy and weird looking seed pods they make - like something from a Sci-Fi film. :)

My Wine-red Voluceau , blooms from June through to first frost and grows all the way to the top and beyond my arch. It has beautiful, large single blooms.

I just love Clematis!
    I am still learning how to grow them (trial and error),
    and if and when to prune them back - spring? summer? fall?

~Annie

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Annie, if you haven't already, go to the website Clematis on the web. It will give you all the info you need on type of clematis (1, 2 or3) and which type each of yours is and how and when (and if) to prune it.
    kay

• Annie
    11 years ago

Thank you Kay.
    I will check it out.
    Actually, I do understand the 1, 2, 3 pruning, but it's always best to be certain which ones are in which group before you do any serious "pruning" , especially if you hope to have flowers!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    This photo is of "Clematis, Voluceau."

I bought this clematis at Lowe's through a case of mistaken identity. She was mislabeled.
    It was in one of those green opaque bags and labeled, "Nelly Moser" Imagine my surprise when it bloomed and instead of pink little Nelly flowers, there were these huge burgundy red flowers! But then I had no idea what she was, and I wanted to know because I LOVED IT! In fact, I decided it was a much better choice to grow with the Climbing New Dawn rose than would Nelly Moser have been.

That was about 8 or 9 years ago and it has taken me all this time to finally ID it as "Clematis, Voluceau."

A Nelly Moser clematis you can buy just about everywhere nowadays, "mais pas la clématite, Voluceau! O', non, non, non non, non! Ne se!"

In the words of Forrest Gump's mother:
    "Life's a box of chocolates, Forrest - you never know what you're gonna get."
    I certainly learned that lesson from this experience.

There is a story behind every flower and every tree in my garden and I certainly love the one that developed because of this lovely red clematis. I will treasure mademoiselle "Voluceau" in my garden, God willing, for many years, not only because of her beauty, but also because of the story of how I came to possess her.

I hope you will treasure your flowers and new Clematis in your gardens as much as I do mine.
    ~Annie

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

My two newest Clematis came to me on the weekend at a moving sale...wow!! This guy had an amazing garden and dug up stuff as you wanted it. I got a Liberation(pink) and a montana Fragrant Spring(pink)....did I need them...No! But just got carried away!ha! Now I have 16! Winter has been so mild here that it has been very good for roses, I have planted 2 miniature climbing roses with 3 clematis(last fall) and I guess because it is beside the house(protection), it is growing really well!! He also sold me a Othello Ligularia, 4 types of oriental poppies, and a Golden Fushia! The weather has me finally getting out in the garden! Yesterday I went and got a yard of fish compost and I planted up 10 plants(out of the dozens waiting on my deck!).

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Wow! You hit the jackpot Calamity! Congratulations! And of course you needed all the new babies. didn't it make you smile? And smiling is good for you, so you did need them. Q.E.D.

kay

• Mickie Marquis
    11 years ago

Annie - I have both Jackmanii and several years ago bought a Jackmanii Superba. The Superba is truly superb! The flowers are larger, a little brighter, bloom longer and the vine is more vigorous. Another of my favorite (easy) is Margot Koster. It's a light bright fuchsia color and blooms an incredibly long time. There is a new Sweet Autumn that is bright plum! I can't wait to try it this year. It is a Proven Winners introduction, I believe. It's called 'Sweet Summer Love'. I grow mostly the viticellas - easy and disease resistant.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love them all. I have three and all are struggling to survive in our dry climate, but so worth it! Good for you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting