Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattioh_gw

Thalictrum delavayi 'Hewitt's Double'

PattiOH
17 years ago

Hi All,

I really love the look of this double Meadow Rue. It blooms midsummer to fall. I thought it would be wonderful with some rudbeckia and other later bloomers. Maybe even dahlias?

Anyone grow this one? What can you tell us about your experience with it?

PattiOh

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Hewitt's Double' at Plant Delights

Comments (10)

• carol5
    17 years ago

I haven't had the pleasure but that is a beautiful flower! Is it a perennial? I may have to have that one. Thanks for showing it to us.

Carol

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Yes, it is a perennial and quite a hardy one.
    I've been told that thalictrum delavayi may flop, so I was hoping that the 'Hewitt's Double' might be made of stronger stuff. I would probably buy it anyway. Gaura flops for me and I wouldn't be without it in my garden. I just put it near some sturdy neighbors. Here is a bit more cultural info about Thalictrum delavayi (not 'Hewitt's Double" specifically):

Here is a link that might be useful: Thalictrum delavayi

• greenrn
    17 years ago

Pattioh,
    what type of sturdy neighbors do you put with your guara? I just ordered a hewitt's double on impulse from Garden's Crossings and would rather plant something to support it than stake it every year. A dwarf grass maybe?

• libbyshome
    17 years ago

Here it is on the left side of the joe pye weed.
    Quite tall for me and needs staking.

{{gwi:649116}}

• libbyshome
    17 years ago

ps..........

sorry that's a picture of Thalictrum flavum. I have Hewitt's
    double too and it grows about the same height.

Libby

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greenrn,
    My sturdy plants have been all sorts of things, a rose, coneflower, rudbeckia, shasta daisy, sedums and stuff I can't recall at the moment. . . maybe some phlox . . .
    I don't know about grasses, I've never tried them. But go for it! If you don't like them, try something else next year!

Libby, THANK YOU for the photo. Your garden is lovely! I was just out looking at my "joe" and I don't see any life yet. I moved him from another garden last year in rather brutal fashion, since he was reluctant to leave his cosy moist spot there, and I was only able to get a piece of him. Here the soil is sandy and dryish, though I added amendments of course. If he didn't make it, I'm going to buy another and try again, cause he is really a wonderful plant.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

I love it!!!!!!! Well, I love Thalictrum delvayi, and I'm sure I'd love Hewitt's Double, too. I grow mine (a single named 'Lavender Mist' with Lilium 'Silk Road', some columbine, some oriental Lilies and a climbing clematis among other things.

Here's a pic. I post photos so seldom that I forget how to do it, but here is the link two different ways.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2755700780099094864vEztst

or this

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2755700780099094864vEztst][IMG]http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/53/553/7/0/78/2755700780099094864vEztst_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Lime! Wonderful photo of Thalictrum delvayi. Yup. Gotta get me somma that! I love the 'Silk Road' too.

Libby and Lime,
    while I love flower close-up photos, it's always a special treat to see plants with their neighbors. Thanks for sharing a bit more of your garden with us!

I've wanted to get the one lilium that seems to have some resistance to the lily leaf beetle, ÂBlack BeautyÂ, but it grows so tall I couldn't picture where to place it in the garden. Now I have a better idea after seeing tall lilies with your Thalictrum delavayi, Lime.

Thanks to all for the responses.
    Patti

• limequilla
    17 years ago

The tall lilies are easy to work with. Well, they can be. :)) You know that Cosmos that gets real tall? With lilies behind it, it doesn't look quite so gangly. There are other tall annuals -- Nicotiana sylvestris and Kiss Me over the Garden Gate and maybe Love Lies Bleeding? Stuff like that. They reseed and when that happens, it gets really full and lush and then the thin Lily stems don't look so out of place. Thin Lily Stems also look better if you can afford to buy 5 or 6 of one kind at a time....or if you have the patience to wait for them to increase.

Lime

Sponsored