Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Signs of the Season

Here are a few heralds of SPRING! ;-)

{{gwi:649214}}

{{gwi:649215}}

{{gwi:649216}}

Isn't this beautiful?! A little Iris histroides 'Katherine Hodgin'. I love the exotic Orchid-like flowers. Going to have to get more of these this fall, especially some of the dark blue or purple cultivars. Also like the fact that these kinds won't need to be divided like the others.

{{gwi:649217}}

Hello Mr. Earth Worm!

{{gwi:649218}}

And nothing says spring like the first plant purchases of the season ;-)

{{gwi:649219}}

-LavenderLass, two days after mentioning they had plants out at Fred Meyer (and that I was going to try and abstain from getting any) what do you think I did? Yep, went and bought some plants at FM! LOL.

How about you guys? This is a pic friendly zone! Let's see what signs of spring are in your gardens! ;-D

CMK

Comments (19)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I need to take some pictures tomorrow. Sadly I once again missed the most fantastic days of the turkish tulips. The only tulips I grow are a small number of species tulips from which the beauties we now love grow. I've always been surprised they do well here. I love your little Iris histroides. I have some tiny purple iris which always used to herald spring, but the last two years they have not bloomed...I have heard they do this, and I'm not sure how to remedy...

• serenae
    13 years ago

I'll share!

Crocus ~

{{gwi:649220}}

Weird little Daffodils ~

{{gwi:649221}}

Snowdrops ~

{{gwi:649222}}

Tulips, lots of Iris, and Hyacinth are still on their way, hopefully.

All the gravel in two of the pictures is leftover from when we took out very thick, old concrete last fall. ;(

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Hurray for the spring crocus and daffs. I haven't even been to the nurseries yet this spring. I am not sure there is anything out to buy yet violas and pansies should be out at the nurseries soon. That iris is really pretty.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

-GGG, I love the little species tulips too. It is neat that they do so well for you- I always thought that, in order to bloom in your zone/location, they had to be chilled first. That is too bad to hear some of the small iris stopped blooming for you after a couple years. Are yours the bulb kind like my histroides, or a mini bearded? If you ever happen to learn more on why they stopped blooming I would be very interested to hear...

Lol! Serenae, I adore your "Weird little Daffodils"! Don't know that I've ever seen ones like that, short with such huge flowers.

-NY Rita, Thanks! I am loving that iris too. Another patch I planted out back is slowing starting to pop up too. I went out and covered it with a turned-over hanging basket just in case that perverse squirrel got to thinking they would make a tasty snack! Lol. Seeing any signs of spring where you are?
    CMK

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Cold today but so far only a chilly rain and some wintry mix instead of the at least 2 inches of snow they forcasted by this afternoon. Fortunatly no sticking. The daffs look cold out there!

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Amazing that you have iris this early, I had no idea!

Love all the crocus, that's why we grow it, isn't it? Because it's so early and it gets the blood pumping to see blooms in March.

Love all those spring shots.

What are those weird little daffodils? I just got some in a trade and they are like that - very short!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

CMK- Beautiful pictures! I love all that color and the little iris is so pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

Serena- Very nice pictures...spring bulbs are so cheerful!

No blooms here, yet, but I did see some daffodils poking up through the old grass Sunday...and it looks like hyacinths are popping up around the plum trees. I am so ready for spring!

• mrssims
    13 years ago

We have been having unusually warm temps here in Southern Illinois...high 70's for highs and high 50's to low 60's for lows. (that is supposed to end tomorrow, though :-() So there is alot popping up in my beds. No blooms yet, though. I am seeing tulips, daylilies, clemmies, wisteria, iris, star of bethlehem, astilbe, coneflowers, yarrow, ornamental grasses, roses bushes and even a couple of really ambitious hosta all roaring back to life now! Hope the cold snap we are about to get doesn't harm them. But I did go to Lowes today and buy an Azalea bush, some potted creeping phlox, and some lithodora. Put them in our hot tub room until it warms back up!

• serenae
    13 years ago

I'll have to take a look at the bulb package for the daffodils, if I kept it, and see what type they are. I meant to get "normal" ones, but the bulb packages here don't seem to give much info.

They sort of look like they're looking all around them, wondering what the heck happened! LOL!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Serenae, one possibility, do you think your 'weird little daff' might be Quince or Golden Quince?

Annette

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Serenae,
    You litt6le tulips are magnificent! Look at all the little ones coming up. Yes, I do love the little iris...I don't think I have ever met one I didn't love.

The violets you bought are lovely. I have never seen them for sale here, but the little wild ones are all over my yard, anywhere I don't remove them...they are quite invasive.

Aren't bulbs the harbinger of spring? Your pictures are really pretty.
    kay

• llover
    13 years ago

Hi serenae,
    I believe the little daffs are called Tete-a-Tete daffodils. I have several and I love them! They are very hardy for me. We had the warm weather in the 70's and now it is 39 out! If you google daffseek query you will see some pictures.
    Ellen

13 years ago

Serenae, how tall are the flower stems on your little daff when it is fully open? I thought the stems in your picture looked a little short for Tete-a-Tete. Tete-a-Tete's flower stems are about 6in. when starting to open and are about 12in. when fully open, where Quince are about 4 in. but, you know how it goes pictures can fool one :).

13 years ago

I just found a picture of Quince and the flower looks to be smaller than yours, in your picture the cup looks a little too wide for Tete-a-Tete but that's just me. I know I have seen yours before but the name just won't come to me. If you bend the petals against the cup, are the petals longer or the cup? that's another thing that might help with identification. I bet Flora will know which one it is.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

-LL, thanks! You should get some of those little iris for your fairy bed! One site mentions they are hardy down to z3, so would be perfect. ;-)

-Kay, we have the wild violets over here too. They do creep, but not invasively for some reason. There is a very large patch in the grass out front that I love- it is a carpet of purple in spring and smells soooo good. Sometimes I go sit out there just to sniff...if the neighbors arn't watching that is, LOL.
    CMK

• serenae
    13 years ago

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond! I was out working in the yard for most of the day. :)

The little daffodils look much more upright now. I was just out in the dark measuring them! LOL
    I don't have the package - or if I do, I can't find it.

Annette: I *think* that the golden quince have a taller stem than these ones, but I could be wrong. The petals are almost exactly the same size as the cup - the very tips of the petals extend past the cup a tiny bit. Does that help?

Ellen may be correct that they're Tete-a-Tete: their stems are about 6.5" long, from the very base to right underneath the flower.

I think they look extra-wonky in the photo I took, because most of them were very new. Probably adding to the confusion, sorry!

• rengee
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous. We just had 2 inches of sleet followed by a couple of inches of snow. North of us had 18 inches of snow. Come on sun, come on southern breeze bring some warmth to wisconsin.

• quilt_mommy
    13 years ago

I love seeing these pictures...I always know Spring has sprung when I see the crocuses out and daffodils working their way up in the yard. So pretty ;)

13 years ago

My favorite is the little iris, so delicate looking. I'll have to see if I can find some in the fall.

Annette

Sponsored