Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

New to Mendenhall, MS area

Sandi_W
12 years ago

I have an almost blank slate to plant. I need help in finding a good reasonably priced nursery, a good source for daylilies, bulk mulch and large rocks (for lining paths) delivered. Thanks, Sandi

Comments (14)

• natal
    12 years ago

Sandi, try posting on the LA/MS forum too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisiana and Mississippi forum

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks natal, I did, but no luck there either. I was really hoping for a local cottage gardener.

• louisianagal
    12 years ago

sandi, can you name a few other cities, towns near you? I am not from MS but I live in Tupelo area now 6 yrs. Some of my family live in Wiggins. I drive from here to there alot.
    Laurie

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laurie, Mendenhall is abt 25 miles south of Jackson and 10 miles northwest of Magee. I'm not from this area so don't know my way around other smaller towns. I think Wiggins is near Hattiesburg which is abt 60 miles from here.

• louisianagal
    12 years ago

Yes, Wiggins is in between Hattiesburg and Gulfport. I am not familiar with your area but I'm looking in my latest issue MS Gardener magazine. March 16-17 Jackson Garden and Patio show, Mississippi Trade Mart 601-919-8111, you might find some info, nurseries, vendors there. Also nursery that participates in this magazine's 10% discount card (the ones I know of in my area are very good nurseries): Green Oak nursery, Jackson, 601-956-5017. Not familiar with all the towns advertised, so that's all I see for now.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks louisianagal. I hope to make it to the show.

• pskemissy
    12 years ago

Hi. I'm originally from MS and now have a home in NE MS. Gardeners in MS are very generous. If you spot a home with a nice garden, stop and introduce yourself. You will most likely leave with a lot of cuttings and information as to where to purchase items. I have found that local cuttings do well while many that I have purchased at local outlets have perished. You will note many plants for sell that will not grow in your zone. Take note of plants growing around homes in your area before purchasing anything.

• pskemissy
    12 years ago

Something I forgot to say......a lot of gardeners in our area use pine straw for mulch. It can be bought in bales at Home Depot or Lowes or just rake it up out of the yard. Neighbors always call to offer me their pine needles each fall. In addition, I have used wheat straw and hay. All work well.

• natal
    12 years ago

Neighbors always call to offer me their pine needles each fall.

Boy are you lucky! My biggest nursery purchase is bales of pine straw. No idea how many I buy each year. I've found the Lowe's/Home Depot bales have a lot of trash in them. Much prefer the large double rounds sold at Louisiana Nursery or the bales at my favorite independent nursery/hardware store.

• pskemissy
    12 years ago

But my pine straw comes with pine cones and sticks which I have to take out......plenty of it up here in the woods. Down in Mendenhall there are also lots of pines so pine needles should be easy to come by.

The Mississippi Market Bulletin has a section for sales of nursery stock. There is someone (last name is Nash) in Winona that sells daylilies and he uses the Bulletin to advertise. I have been to his place and he works with nothing but daylilies. In MS daylilies multiply like crazy so you should be able to get some from people in the community. All of my daylilies have been from friends or were already growing on the property. I divided them last year and replanted some, and gave some away.

My house is 4 years old and the landscaping has not matured and is still an ongoing project. It has and is a lot of work but I have enjoyed every minute.

You might consider making your own rocks. There is a section in the forums list that you can pull up and learn how to make your own rocks. It's hyberturfa (I know this is misspelled) or something like that.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm originally from Jackson, but lived many yrs in se NC. Same zone, but totally different soils which made gardening alot different too. I've always used pinestraw as mulch and luckily found a good source abt 20 miles from here (I refuse to pay $8 a bale locally). I still haven't found a source for the large rocks I need, but still looking. I know Jackson has what I need, but delivery prices are way too high. I'm so excited to get to be starting a new garden. I enjoy reading all of the posts here.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did think abt hypertufa rocks, but I need way too many to go that route. For the first time in my life, I live in a house without a single pinetree. I don't know where Winona is, but will look it up. Thanks.

• pskemissy
    12 years ago

Winona is right on I55 between Jackson and Memphis. Probably too far for you to drive since you are south of Jackson off of 49. I know Mr. Nash mails his plants to folks that order them. You can call him and find out what he has available and then look them up on the internet. He is the only person that has a daylily farm in MS that I am aware of. He stopped selling once but had so many requests for his plants that he started up again.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've just found there is a lady in Puckett (abt 10 miles from me) that sells daylilies at her home. I'm going to Rivers Nursery & Lowes in Brandon Wed so will check her out. I had quite a few of the Apps daylilies in NC and that's mostly what I want here. I also found a Daylily farm in Gulfport, but that's too far also.
    I'll check with Mr. Nash also.

Sponsored