Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring frustration

Posted by louisianagal z7bMS (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 23:43

Well I'm not really complaining because the weather was gorgeous today (67 degrees and sunny), even though will get a little cold again this week. But every year it is just too cold to work outside, or too rainy (always rainy here in winter) in February, and then March comes and so much needs to be done, but I don't have the days off, and then before I know it it's mid-March or late March and I haven't pruned my antique and knockout roses (too wet to get in the big rose garden), my limelight, and clematis. I have to go out of town this weekend, so yeah, I'm gonna be behind schedule! But I did prune the butterfly bushes. Welcome spring!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring frustration

Same boat! I was hopeful I could get out a do a little bed prep today but it's just too cold and we're the lucky ones set to be hit by winter's last revenge tonight. 6-15 inches of snow predicted; my poor little crocuses and daffoldils!

o

Thanks for reminding me to cut back my butterfly bushes this month.

o

Ugh. I always get behind and don't get the seeds in until it's almost too late- so all of my annuals get fried in the summer heat instead of lasting all spring. I feel your pain.

o

Yeah I'm going to see my family 300 miles south and probably do some gardening for my 82 yr old mom. It's supposed to be in the 70s here this weekend! So I could have gotten alot done, but family is more important and the garden will always be there!

o

Y'all think you're behind...

photo snow0224a.jpg

tj

o

I'm with you - almost 10" of snow last Monday, and I just looked out the window to find another couple of inches I wasnt expecting.

Someone was recommending to me that I get my onions planted out this month - I dont think thats going to happen. Still.......... we are beginning to get days in the high 30's with maybe low 40's are in the forecast. Last year I was planting under cover by mid April - Spring is coming!!

o

Sunny and 42 degrees this morning. It started out as just a walk-about the property but soon I had pruners in hand and began snipping off privet hedge suckers inside the Privet Arch. Also pruned the Serviceberry shrub in the sunken garden - hope I don't regret doing that this early, but it was only some thin branches growing in wrong directions. But I forgot to do what I should have done first, the butterfly bushes! ha.

o

Checked out the trees for sale at RKO and came home with a small Redbud for $19.99. It will be several years before it blooms, but it had the nicest shape even compared to the larger $24.99 trees. As soon as the ground warms up I'll be digging a hole for it near the place where a Redbud was blown over last Fall during a burst of high wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here