Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses: Planting a Climber Rose with a Rambler.

Posted by sweetannie4u midOK_z6b/7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 23:58

I am thinking of planting a CL Pink Don Juan next to a Spring-blooming only pink rambler so that when the rambler's blooms finish, the Pink Don Juan will bloom the rest of the season.

The rambler is very bushy with lots of slender canes all covered in tiny foliage, so the foliage will hide the bare canes of the climber, which tends to get leggy and bare at the bottom.

Anyone have any idea on how close I can plant it next to the rambler?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses: Planting a Climber Rose with a Rambler.

I think this is a great idea. Much of my garden is grown in this style. I usually plant the roses between 1 and 10 feet apart, depending on how aggressive they are. Since your rambler is already established, I'd go around 5 feet, measuring from the center of it, just to play it safe. Some of my results have been that the smaller rose just weaves through the rambler. Sometimes, it grows much taller, almost as if the two are competing against each other. If the rambler covers the roots of the other rose it can keep it cool during drought, no science here, just observation. Once or twice I got carried away and the roses pulled down the fence!I hope you enjoy the results. Regina

o
RE: Roses: Planting a Climber Rose with a Rambler.

Okay.
Here are the details:
I have the spring-blooming rambler, Ispahan, growing on each side of the arch (a metal Cattle Panel bent into a hoop). The canes are very slender, but the clump is very dense. It blooms from 4-6 weeks every spring and then puts on lush green foliage. I planted a blue-violet Clematis at the inside base on the southside two years ago. Last year it bloomed although it wasn't very tall yet.
I want to plant the Climbing Pink Don Juan to grow up the same arbor. I think there is room to plant the Climbing rose on either side as the panel is 4 ft. wide. The hoop at peak is about 8 ft. tall or higher. Climbing Don Juan doesn't get the heavy canes as say, the New Dawn climber, and the Ispahan is very lightweight, so I think the panel will be sufficient to support them.

Thanks Regina.
I'm going for it! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here