Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another bloom comes today, Annette

Posted by haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 0:08

I wish to share with you another bloom of the batch, that opens today in my garden.

Though it was bitten by a snail while still in bud, it looks gorgeous, doesn't it?

There're other buds on the same scape so I hope the next blossom will look perfect.

And another blossom from the previous one - Hamlet (?), now looks slightly different in color as compared to the first blossom. Perhaps the sun has discolored the blossom.

My daylily bed

Many thanks again, my friend across the pond :-)

Xuan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another bloom comes today, Annette

Thanks for sharing. It is always a pleasure to look at the photos of your flowers. Seems you definately have "a green thumb."

o

Thanks, Pippi.

Annette, I looked at the photos and I think this new bloom belongs to mother Uni Winniford. Don't you think?

Xuan

o

Mmmmmmm, my guess and it's only a guess would be the orangey one came from Chicago Apache and the paler one from Siloam Prissy. Are any more going to bloom this year?

Annette

o

Yes, Annette. I'm having a few more plants in spikes. I expect them to bloom within the next 2-3 weeks. Will keep you updated.

Here're the plant with spikes.

The plants are quite small, the leaves are about a foot long only. Perhaps the growing environment is not favorable.

Xuan

PS: When is it safe to transplant daylilies, Annette? I want to move them to another spot in the garden.

o

Xuan, don't be surprised if they don't get very tall, with the exception of Chicago Apache the other daylilies I collected seed for you do not grow over 2 feet and the flowers are smaller as well. I purposely bought shorter varieties for my border out front.

We are having a miserable spring so far, but it shouldn't effect the daylilies, I have a few taller daylilies with bigger flowers, do you want to go through the process of starting seed again? Should I try to collect seed from some of the others I have this summer? Just say the word:).

Annette

o

Xuan, those flowers are gorgeous. Thanks so much for continuing to post. Can't wait to see what's coming next.

o

Oh, Annette... yes, yes, yes, please, please, please!

I'd love to have any seeds you can spare. You know these daylilies I'm having now are... the first of their kinds in Vietnam.

I'm very proud to be the only daylily mom here, so far :-)

I'll email you my home address.

Thanks again.

Thyme: :-) I can't wait either. It's so exciting waiting for surprises.

Xuan

o

Xuan, then that's the plan for this summer. Keep your fingers crossed we get lots of seedpods, of course I might be able to help them a bit with my trusty little brush :). The bees will probably have their way with them but I can try and beat them to the punch.
Daylilies are pretty tough, I've dug and transplanted them whenever I felt like it with no problems, I've even left them sitting on top of the ground all winter with no ill effects but I think right after flowering is the recommended time for transplanting daylilies.

Annette

o

Very pretty Xuan!

o

As always, it is so wonderful when you share your flowers - mine are soooo far away!!

Nancy.

o

Thank you, everyone. In fact I wish to share a better looking face of the same girl.

Also, Annette, I've noticed that the color as well as the shape of bloom on the first plant looks different on subsequent blooms.

Is there any reason for that, Annette?

Xuan

o

I'm not sure, it could be weather related. Maybe someone else knows the answer to this.

Annette

o

Xuan - Your daylilies are very lovely and such a welcome sight here when the day is wet, cold, gray and gloomy. I collect seeds from my daylilies every year and would be happy to send you some. I have nearly 40 varieties of daylily altho' only know the names of about half. The others were planted by my brother 20+ years ago and the names are long gone. Let me know if you'd like some.

Here are a few of mine from last year:

H. Brocaded Gown

H. Ann Warner

H. Oriental Ruby

H. Respighi

H. Ida's Magic

NOID

o

There you go Xuan, that's an offer you can't refuse :). I'll also send you seed from some of my other daylilies. Gardenweed you have some beauties. I've never grown from seed myself, I grow Hellebores and that's about as much fiddling as I want to do now.

Annette

o

How long does it take from seed to bloom time??

All those lilies are gorgeous.We had had a lot of rain and i hadn't been keeping a close eye on mine.Did notice that one of my prettier one had buds,then stuff happened,and when i remembered them again,an went to look the Da** snails had made them into lace.Really made me upset.Went into the shed,got the snail bait and dumped it all around.
Kathi

o

Kathi - I've heard different times for blooms from seed-grown daylilies but for grins and giggles back in 2009 I grew some daylily seeds in quart pots I set in a sunny window. They bloomed last summer. I also winter sowed some seeds of a diamond dusted white one named 'New Falling Stars' last year and the seedlings I planted are already coming up this year.

o

Xuan...simply amazing. I have never grown a daylily. Only ditch lilies when I was a girl in OH. They were called " common" but yours are anything but . Lovely. c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here