Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Another bloom comes today, Annette

haxuan
13 years ago

I wish to share with you another bloom of the batch, that opens today in my garden.

Though it was bitten by a snail while still in bud, it looks gorgeous, doesn't it?

{{gwi:650145}}

{{gwi:650146}}

There're other buds on the same scape so I hope the next blossom will look perfect.

And another blossom from the previous one - Hamlet (?), now looks slightly different in color as compared to the first blossom. Perhaps the sun has discolored the blossom.

{{gwi:399459}}

My daylily bed

{{gwi:399457}}

Many thanks again, my friend across the pond :-)

Xuan

Comments (17)

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing. It is always a pleasure to look at the photos of your flowers. Seems you definately have "a green thumb."

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Pippi.

Annette, I looked at the photos and I think this new bloom belongs to mother Uni Winniford. Don't you think?

Xuan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Mmmmmmm, my guess and it's only a guess would be the orangey one came from Chicago Apache and the paler one from Siloam Prissy. Are any more going to bloom this year?

Annette

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Annette. I'm having a few more plants in spikes. I expect them to bloom within the next 2-3 weeks. Will keep you updated.

Here're the plant with spikes.

{{gwi:650147}}

{{gwi:650148}}

{{gwi:650149}}

The plants are quite small, the leaves are about a foot long only. Perhaps the growing environment is not favorable.

Xuan

PS: When is it safe to transplant daylilies, Annette? I want to move them to another spot in the garden.

13 years ago

Xuan, don't be surprised if they don't get very tall, with the exception of Chicago Apache the other daylilies I collected seed for you do not grow over 2 feet and the flowers are smaller as well. I purposely bought shorter varieties for my border out front.

We are having a miserable spring so far, but it shouldn't effect the daylilies, I have a few taller daylilies with bigger flowers, do you want to go through the process of starting seed again? Should I try to collect seed from some of the others I have this summer? Just say the word:).

Annette

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Xuan, those flowers are gorgeous. Thanks so much for continuing to post. Can't wait to see what's coming next.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Annette... yes, yes, yes, please, please, please!

I'd love to have any seeds you can spare. You know these daylilies I'm having now are... the first of their kinds in Vietnam.

I'm very proud to be the only daylily mom here, so far :-)

I'll email you my home address.

Thanks again.

Thyme: :-) I can't wait either. It's so exciting waiting for surprises.

Xuan

13 years ago

Xuan, then that's the plan for this summer. Keep your fingers crossed we get lots of seedpods, of course I might be able to help them a bit with my trusty little brush :). The bees will probably have their way with them but I can try and beat them to the punch.
    Daylilies are pretty tough, I've dug and transplanted them whenever I felt like it with no problems, I've even left them sitting on top of the ground all winter with no ill effects but I think right after flowering is the recommended time for transplanting daylilies.

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Very pretty Xuan!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

As always, it is so wonderful when you share your flowers - mine are soooo far away!!

Nancy.

• haxuan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone. In fact I wish to share a better looking face of the same girl.

{{gwi:650150}}

{{gwi:650151}}

Also, Annette, I've noticed that the color as well as the shape of bloom on the first plant looks different on subsequent blooms.

{{gwi:650153}}

{{gwi:399459}}

{{gwi:650155}}

Is there any reason for that, Annette?

Xuan

12 years ago

I'm not sure, it could be weather related. Maybe someone else knows the answer to this.

Annette

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Xuan - Your daylilies are very lovely and such a welcome sight here when the day is wet, cold, gray and gloomy. I collect seeds from my daylilies every year and would be happy to send you some. I have nearly 40 varieties of daylily altho' only know the names of about half. The others were planted by my brother 20+ years ago and the names are long gone. Let me know if you'd like some.

Here are a few of mine from last year:

H. Brocaded Gown
    {{gwi:650157}}

H. Ann Warner
    {{gwi:650159}}

{{gwi:650161}}

H. Oriental Ruby
    {{gwi:650163}}

H. Respighi
    {{gwi:650165}}

H. Ida's Magic
    {{gwi:650166}}

NOID
    {{gwi:650167}}

12 years ago

There you go Xuan, that's an offer you can't refuse :). I'll also send you seed from some of my other daylilies. Gardenweed you have some beauties. I've never grown from seed myself, I grow Hellebores and that's about as much fiddling as I want to do now.

Annette

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

How long does it take from seed to bloom time??

All those lilies are gorgeous.We had had a lot of rain and i hadn't been keeping a close eye on mine.Did notice that one of my prettier one had buds,then stuff happened,and when i remembered them again,an went to look the Da** snails had made them into lace.Really made me upset.Went into the shed,got the snail bait and dumped it all around.
    Kathi

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Kathi - I've heard different times for blooms from seed-grown daylilies but for grins and giggles back in 2009 I grew some daylily seeds in quart pots I set in a sunny window. They bloomed last summer. I also winter sowed some seeds of a diamond dusted white one named 'New Falling Stars' last year and the seedlings I planted are already coming up this year.

• User
    12 years ago

Xuan...simply amazing. I have never grown a daylily. Only ditch lilies when I was a girl in OH. They were called " common" but yours are anything but . Lovely. c

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting