Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

advise needed on flea market stuff for gardens

ianna
12 years ago

Hi All,

Im plannning to go to the flea market in a couple of weeks. What should I look out for to add to the garden? I lke unique containers and quirky garden decors..

Ianna

Comments (13)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

What fun!! Are you going to a very large one? I always look for unique vases and pitchers , old watering cans can make cute decor. Lots of flea markets have crafters that make neat bird houses and feeders. I've even seen plants for sale ! I do love the vintage planters such as swans and lambs. My grandma had them in her garden and it reminds me so much of her.
    Have you ever visited the garden junk forum? They have incredible ideas of how to turn odd things into neat garden art. I was inspired by them to make a small birdbath out of a glass bowl glued to an old glass vase!
    If I had a chance to got to a larger flea market id be on the lookout for a bench for my garden.
    And I just remembered , I bought a wrought iron bakers rack for 5 whole dollars and use it on my porch to hold tools and pots. Love it!
    Can't wait to see what you find! :)

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lily,

Where in pittsburgh do you go for your flea market shopping? I occasionally pass by your area on my way down to NY so are there intersting places to check out?

I go to a place called Aberfoyle in Ontario. It's a large established antique and flea market place. Some of the things I would have wanted to purchase like wrought iron gates and stuff I cannot afford. Besides they seemed too manufactured. I want to be a bit more inventive with what to add to the garden and yet not make it look junky.

Old watering cans is not a bad idea.. I'll look out for that.

Things that I could make a birdhouse from.. I didn't think of that. Perhaps this question should be what stuff should I look out for to make interesting garden crafts. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm avoiding any water feature as I already have a wall fountain. I've got some iron decor for the walls as well.

Ianna

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Have you been over to Garden Junk? Some of the stuff is not at all to my taste but there are some quirky ideas which are quite interesting.

• User
    12 years ago

Look at the mirrors in the garden thread. I posted a pic of my Revolutionary War hospital bed made into a raised garden. You can usually find old beds in most flea markets. Look forward to seeing what you find. c

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did! It flabbergasted me. I may not be able to add something that large but maybe I can use a headboard like that for a trellis.!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I find a lot of great ideas on pinterest.
    Flea markets are fun - enjoy! Let us know what you find.

• flowergirl70ks
    12 years ago

Just don't overdue it. A lady down the street from me had the nicest garden. Then she started to fill it up with cute things. Now it looks like a junkyard.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

When I go to flea markets or yard sales I try to keep an open mind and just look at everything. It seems if I am searching for a specific thing I won't find it but if I have no 'list' there will be something I can use.

Some things I've found are:
    ~a vintage tin bathtub that I used for a fairy garden
    ~wooden birdhouses
    ~metal lanterns
    ~shepherd's hooks
    ~a wire trellis
    ~folding step ladder to use as a trellis
    ~cast iron owl with bracket that hangs on the fence
    ~large concrete 'Green Man'
    ~a galvanized tin washtub that could be used as a planter.
    ~a new galvanized watering can I use all the time
    ~2 large children's wagons to haul things around in my garden Easier than a large wheelbarrow often or just to 'corral' several smaller potted plants.
    ~large pots and the prices are so much better than new
    ~garden tools
    ~wheelbarrows
    ~garden signs
    ~plants
    ~lots of glass items I used to make garden totems
    ~barnboard framed mirror (currently in my house but has been used in the garden)

Wishing you good junking and hope you post pics to show what you find.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I did not know such mag existed - came across it today.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:650238}}

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natalie, I saw it too this morning. Had a quick browse bc I didnt' want to spend that much on a magazine.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Be sure to check out Roselee's garden on the other thread. She uses a lot of flea market pieces so beautifully in her garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea Market Inspiration

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Ianna, I have been two a few good fleamarkets here but none worth going out of the way for. But in Rogers Ohio was the best one I've been too. It's a small town so it's very cute and known for the flea market . Otherwise the big one here is wild wood flea market but it's beena few years since I've made it. Good luck! :)

• koszta_kid
    11 years ago

I will be going to flea market in What Cheer Iowa.Some times I buy-other times just look.Have brad nailer. So can make some of my own things.Have number of USA wooden flags I have made.But looking at antiques . Shocked to see what things I picked at Garage sales are worth now. Dh looks for more bird house ideas.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!