Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulbs in bags---question

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 0:16

Hi,

Just found some fabulous canna roots at Home Depot and with my garden club coupon got another bag free.

The problem is, they are pretty far along. I'd say some have shoot 8 inches long and very green. I have so many I really would rather not pot them all up until time to plant outside.

It was 80 here today, but will be in the 50s by the end of the week. We can definately have another frost. Almost certain we will.

Anything I can do with them? I have not opened the bags.

Thanks for any advice! :-)

Deborah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulbs in bags---question

I have cannas that someone gave me and they're still in the basement. I don't plant them out until after the last frost. I think yours should be fine until then. Don't fertilize and keep them in a low light area.

o

Okay, thanks. Will stick them in the basement. Think I should open the bag and let them breathe or keep it sealed?

o

or in a cold garage. I've cannas naturally grow in spring despite being overwitnered in the basement and in the dark. The usual technique is to keep them in slightly moist newspapers loosely or peat through out winter. I suppose this is the same treatment you would give them now. Watch out for rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here