Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Pink wild clover - okay to let it just grow?

brit5467
13 years ago

I've got lots of it scattered thru out my 'cottage' type front garden which is mainly full of perennials. Some old but some new this year.

I love the way it looks intermingled with everything. Also have a bit of white, too.

But wondering if it's a bad thing? Is there anything wrong with letting it just grow? It seems to keep other weeds and grass away and when I plant a new plant, I DO dig up a large area around the hole to get rid of the clover.

Just wondering if I should get a handle on it now, before it gets out of control...or is it okay to just let it grow and then dig up the main root when/if it gets in the way of planting?

Guess I'm asking if it's gonna 'kill' or 'suck the life out of' any surrounding plants if I just let it grow freely? Or more specific -- is there anything negative about it?

Thanks for any feedback !! Bonnie

Comments (27)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Well I didn't find the info I was looking for but I did find this. Sorry, couldn't resist this cute little guy:

{{gwi:650337}}

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Red clover makes great tea. Just pick the heads when they are fully open and dry them, then steep like you would any other tea. I love it!

I do let it grow here and there, abut if you don't deadhead before the seeds fall, you'll have it everywhere.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I dry the heads for tea all year. Yummy!

• kailleanm
    13 years ago

I leave it in my grass but don't have any popping up in my beds yet.

Clover fixes nitrogen and adds fertility. So I'd say as long as the roots aren't too invasive around your perennials, it's all good! :-)

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First off....schoolhouse, that bunny is just too cute. And I've never seen pink clover like that. I made a boo boo. THAT is clover. My mom said what I'm talking about is NOT.

So I don't know what it is, but it looks like 4 leaf clovers only on long stems, it grows in mounds and gets pink flowers on it. And when you pull it up, it's got like one main 'bulb'??? I'd take pic but the flowers close up at night.

Guess I should start another post when I have pic, but if anyone can answer, I'd be grateful...

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I think what you are talking about is a type of oxalis. I think it's also called wood sorrel.

Is this what you're talking about?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink oxalis

• brit5467
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YES!! Exactly!! Even before I looked at the pic, I remembered that name (finally). Must admit -- I'd never looked at the flower that closely. That's a beautiful pic. Thanks for sharing.

Soooo...LOL...any ideas about letting it just 'run loose'??
    Tkx, Bonnie

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I woke up this morning and thought - Oxalis! backyardgrown beat me to the post. :) Sorry, don't know much about growing it and if it can become invasive.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

OMG, that bunny picture is the cutest thing I have ever seen, lol! ;-)

Does the red clover get bigger than the white kind? Would it be good in a lawn or is it more shrubby?? I love the white kind in the lawn and would love to add some of the red/pink (as long as it isn't VERY big and would trip a person up, lol).
    CMK

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Red clover gets much larger than white clover does. It is, indeed more shrubby and would look better around trees and shrubs. It's actually a fairly good companion for fruit trees.

I like the pink wood sorrel and had quite a bit of it, when I had shade.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

You can find alot of red clover in hay fields,too.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info GGG!
    CMK

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

When i started reading this post,i thought it's oxalis!! And YES that stuff while pretty is very invasive.It's easy to pull but it leaves little bulbettes(is that a word)and they throw seed all over the place.Kinda like evening primroses,love the pink ones of those and have them,and i pull them every year,but they always come back.The oxalis is in my grassnow but since it gets mowed every week all year long i don't really have to deal with it,and it seems some of it is finally dying off.Thanks to my yard guys.
    Kathi

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathi...funny you mention pink evening primrose since I just posted a question (in Perennials, I think), asking this same question -- if I should let IT go crazy...LOL.

I know the 'bulbettes' you're talking about. Luckily in my garden soil, esp. when wet, I can get entire hunks up and have actually transplanted them to spots where I want then to grow. But think I'm gonna have to go in and yank a bunch out. Just getting to be too much.

Same with the primrose. Got up the nerve to clear out around my daylilies and other plants I want to stand out and it looks so much better. Didn't have to heart to toss them out tho so at first I stuck then in some dirt, ran out of dirt so just stuck big bunches in buckets of water and you know, they're blooming in the water !! Will find a home somewhere else for them, I'm sure, where they can just take off.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I grow oxalis in containers and was surprised to see it growing in other containers in the area and even in my summer sown milk jugs. It must throw seeds as there were little bulblets showing up everywhere.

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

I had it in a former garden (former home) and after 2 years I really regretted it. It took over and I had to dig up the whole bed. It scares me! I would pull it out...thats just me. It is pretty though but so is mint.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I don't mind pulling it out and i do so every year.It grows in the same bed as my iris,so i just clear out around them so it doesn't choke them out,same with feverfew,that stuff comes up everywhere,pots,gardens cracks of sidewalk etc.
    Kathi

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it looks real pretty circled around trees.

I think I'll take the middle road and leave it but just thin it out a bit so there's not TOO much pink. I also have some white, too, that sprung up. Is there white oxalis, too?

Bonnie

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

One of the ones I grow has plain green leaves and white blossoms. Another has green leaves with a brown pattern and
    pink blossoms. A third has dark purple leaves and I don't remember what color blossoms, white maybe?

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks...I'll have to check out the leaves on my white ones. Have never seen ones with dark purple leaves. Got any pics??

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

No photos of my own but here is a link to Goggle images

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxalis photos

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I had the variety with the dark purplish leaves, it just appeared on year in the floor of the sunken garden. I didn't plant it, so I'm thinking a tiny piece may have come with a perennial I purchased somewhere. I kept pinching it out because it was growing in a place I didn't want it to spread. I never let it grow long enough to bloom.

• Mona Roberson
    8 years ago

Clover is good for preventing erosion. When it dies back (like red clover) from the heat in the south, it will return nitrogen back into the soil.

Which is mother nature's natural fertilizer.cha-ching!

Farmers grow clover before planting crops (after the clover dies).

• kitasei
    8 years ago

I have gorgeous pink clover all over this year too. I'd like to spread it to some other areas. Whats the best way to collect the seed?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

This whole thread has been discussing several different plant species under the name 'Clover'. The last two posters are talking about two entirely different plants, I believe.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    8 years ago

I have a lot of wood sorrel (oxalis oregona), which I think the original poster has realized she has too. I have decided to let mine alone in one spot as it's in a bed I prefer to be easy care and is doing well with some skimmia and ferns. It's also contained by hardscape. I'm working to get it out of another bed where it is threatening to take over some heuchera and alchemilla.

I would say be careful around plants you want to keep. I don't find it very easy to weed out as it has an incredible mass of spreading mat-like roots and every bit you leave behind grows again. It quickly out-competed some young japanese forest grass I had and even ajuga! In my experience, you can't really just pull it out -- you have to dig around to get the rootlets which can be a pain, depending on what else you have planted. It loves my rainy, cool climate.

They planted quite a lot in the ravine next to me, trying to reestablish more native plantings and it has out-competed the native bleeding heart and a few other more delicate plantings. Only put it somewhere where you can be on top of maintenance a lot. I have a deciduous variety, but there is also an evergreen version (at least for my zone).

Sponsored