Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

Help. Revamping overgrown garden

hbwright
12 years ago

I just moved into a new home a couple weeks ago and slowly starting to pull weeds. I am almost done the area that was really driving me batty and anxious to get something in this space. Right now we are renting with opportunity to purchase so until I know I don't really want to do anything too expensive but do want to fill it in. There are tons of azaleas already in the yard and really don't want anymore. This area gets morning sun up to about 1:00 in the afternoon. My initial thought is some fast growing annual seeds and a bulb garden, probably a bird bath with some hanging feeders along the garage. The garage is the neighbors so I'm limited to what I can do with it. I do have some lattice but would have to ask him about attaching it some way to the garage so I may be limited to doing tall growing plants there.

This is the area right beside the garage.

{{gwi:650708}}

This is the rear corner you can see in the garage picture but wanted a closer picture. This gets a little more sun than the area right beside the garage. I transplanted an unknown red honeysuckle to in front of the fence but don't know if it took or not. Its only been a few days. I have some morning glory seed I could try there also. I was also thinking about direct sewing some 4 0'clocks there or transplanting some black and blue salvia from my old neighbor (I can beg).

{{gwi:650712}}

This area obviously is still very weedy. It also gets afternoon shade after 1:00. I haven't even begun to think about what could go here.

{{gwi:650715}}

Any ideas on any of these areas? This is only the begining of the yard, so I'm trying to keep cost down. We also were struck with having to buy a new engine this past week right after moving in so expenses are very tight. The great part is that she's really got some great bones to the yard. I'm thinking she did annuals here because there is absolutely nothing growing up in this area and the rest of the yard is completely overgrown. I am finding all kinds of garden goodies the more I explore and get my hands dirty. Yea!!!

Comments (4)

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    12 years ago

Does morning sun count as SUNNY in South Carolina? Will many annuals grow well in the morning sun next to the neighbor's garage? What about Hydrangeas and impatients?

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

If the area next to the garage gets morning sun until 1:00 or so then I am thinking it must face east. Any area that gets at least 5-6 hours or sun is going to do well with a wide variety of flowers (or vegetables!). Many of the old fashioned annuals are very easy to grow from seed or available at reasonable cost in 6 packs at most nurseries and big box stores. One of my favorites are Cosmos, they can depending which variety you choose be rather tall, have lovely ferny foliage and the vivid colors would show off well against the building colors.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I know Morning Glories are invasive in many places, but they might be nice on that fence with morning sun. Or maybe a clematis? You could put up twine for them to climb on. Oh, what about Hyacinth Beans, or sweet peas? Do you prefer annuals or perennials? Are you hoping for all flowers, or are you a vegetable gardener, too? You could hang planters from the fence to give you some color at a different height. Coleus are nice in less sunny spots, and provide color all season. Buying them as plants can be expensive. Pansies are easy and colorful for early season, and they reseed generously. I've had Black-eyed Susans, other rudbeckias, and Purple Coneflowers do well in less than full sun. And the birds and butterflies are attracted to them.

Hope these ideas at least get your mind moving. I wish I had as much sun as you. My flowering plant options are a bit limited by shade. Good luck.

Martha

• Annie
    12 years ago

How about Foxy Foxgloves for tall flowers in back?
    Coleus (with light and bright colors).
    Creeping Jenny (yellowish green leaves on creeping vines)
    Cardinal Flower (red flowers)
    Tall Garden Phlox (white to light up the shade)
    Daisies
    Violas (all colors)
    Ferns
    Hostas
    Elephant Ears
    Caladiums
    Impatiens (all colors)
    Creeping Speedwell (very pretty tiny blue flower)
    Coral Bells
    Forget-Me-Nots

Those are a few I can think of.

Might I also suggest:
    Fill the beds with lots and lots of fallen leaves and /or Pine straw. This will prevent weeds from growing back and it will enrich the soil at the same time. Then you can add flowers as your gardening budget allows and it will stay weed-free and look nice too.

~Annie