Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Any advice on Peony Poppies?

mandolls
13 years ago

I have a tray of about 50 seedlings of Flemish Antique Peony Poppies that I transplanted into little cups yesterday. I have never grown these, but have a few oriental poppies that I love.

I have read that they have a pretty short life and look a bit ratty after they bloom. I was thinking about putting them in the Dahlia bed, since they should be close to done by the time the Dahlias go into full production.

Right now they are 1/2" tall and its hard to believe that they will be 18" tall plants with 4" blooms by mid summer.

Is there anyone here with experience growing them who can give me some advice?

Comments (13)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I grew Papaver paeoniflorum 'White Cloud' from seed via winter sowing last year. They sprouted, grew and bloomed very early in the season. It was a brief but spectacular show. Here are my garden notes about them:

Buds formed 6/3; flowers opened 6/10. Flowers are short-lived and foliage turns ratty once flowering is finished.

I didn't bother growing them again this year because I'm looking for perennials with a long bloom time and reliably attractive foliage the whole season. While the flowers are gorgeous, they just didn't measure up to my plans for the flowerbeds. I had no trouble getting rid of the seeds--lots of folks wanted them.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

They have a rather long tap root so I'd get them into the garden as soon as possible. Once you have them they will self seed if you leave some pods to ripen. Although the plants can get a bit ratty the seed heads are attractive in themselves and dry well so I always leave some of the biggest.

They are actually Papaver somniferum 'Paeoniflorum' group but I think the marketeers don't like to mention the 'somniferum' part. You are growing opium poppies.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I love peony poppies. Years ago I bot a package at a charity plant fundraiser for 25 cents and they self seed if allowed and I also seed them wherever I want more. I've given away a lot of seeds also. I think they add a lot to a cottage garden. IMO not every plant has to be perfect and I find when they go to seed and look ratty the other plants are tall enough to hide most of them or I cut them back.

I have had a few giants that grew almost 3' tall. This is not the tallest poppy but was a good size - mine are a mix of mostly doubles but a few singles, and many shades of pink and red. I only keep seed from the largest and prettiest so *may* eventually not have singles. I've also used the largest seed heads in winter arrangements.

{{gwi:651978}}

• ianna
    13 years ago

they are annuals and very pretty. However I have experienced that they don't grow true to form and I get single petallred poppies instead. I love the way annual poppies look though and sow them liberally in the garden.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all, I still have the habit of buying a packet of seed because like the picture, without doing any research before hand. (I bought Lisianthus seed this year, nowhere did it mention that it took 9 months to bloom! Not very realistic for zone 4) It sounds like mixing the poppies into the south side of the Dahlia bed will work perfectly, since I never have flowers there until mid-July. I'll try that and a few other places where, when thy are spent, I can either pull them, or they will be covered by later blooming plants.

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Luckygal--you are indeed a lucky gal with that peony poppy!

Re Peony Poppies: Intermixing poppies with other flowers, especially longer bloomers, is a good idea because the flowers are not long lasting. I have had peony poppies for two years from Botanical Interests and they are pretty and last for a few weeks. (I have not had much luck with reseeding, yet.)

Having other flowers to cover them is useful. I love 'em! Poppies are a staple in my garden now--Oriental, ladybird, Flanders, Lauren's Grape, and peony. I am working on growing the illusive (to me) Himalayan Blue. I have tried for four years, so I hope the fifth time is the charm. :)

cheers,
    Norabelle

• mytime
    13 years ago

I grow my purple and pink ones with my dahlias. And with my lilies. And with everything else!

• leanna134
    12 years ago

I'm a burgeoning gardener, with a very small plot to work with. In fact, most of my plantings this year will be in containers so I can move them around the yard to catch the sun. I bought four different packs of Peony Poppy seeds (Black, Red Giant, Cream, Pale Rose) and and now wondering if it's even possible to hope for blooms this year if I plant sow them now (mid-April) in a container. It's been VERY mild here in NJ and I'm looking for any advice!

Thank you in advance!

• sarahbell72345
    8 years ago

please do not transplant they don't like transplant they are senstive

• sarahbell72345
    8 years ago

I saw them THE FEB IS THE BEST

• ianna
    8 years ago

actually Sarah my newly transplanted peonies are blooming already although these are still in their containers.

Leanna134 - peony poppies are not peonies. these are poppies. I always seed annuals in March or April

• flowergirl70ks
    8 years ago

I threw out some seed of a black double last fall, Burpee seed. They are almost finished blooming now and every one was single purple.

Sponsored