Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooms before the Freeze

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 8:10

Alas, the freeze last night really zapped the spring blossoms. But here are some memories.

This one is from the hospital garden I tend. I think this is the old Ice Follies, which managed to pretty much bloom out before the cold onslaught. A local Springfest also brought out hordes of college students, who trampled the beds like a herd of wildebeest.

Loper poses in front of Lemon Glow, another earlier one:

Jetfire, an early cyclamineus:

Pink Silk, with Passionale behind it:

Sentinel, another superb pink-cupped cultivar. A close-up, of course, but the flowers are very large.

Golden Echo, with Wisley (larger) in background:

Salmon Impression

Pink Charm Flowers are smaller than the earlier pinks shown.

White Emperor glistens in early evening.

Not sure of the names of these orange-cupped ones in the back yard.

Some people rave about By George, but I find that it fades in the sun and its stems are not so strong as I would like.

Mon Cheri--short, but long lasting and good stems.

Las Vegas

Wisley, a superior early bloomer with excellent stems

Ara--another good early bloomer, with cup held high:

Anemones

Bloodroot lasted as long this year as they ever do.

This is Toto.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooms before the Freeze

Gorgeous! The narcissus around here finished in Feb, so it's nice to get a late show. I hope the frost doesn't harm them too much, I know that the masses of daffodils I planted in my old garden in the mountains bloomed recently and then got covered by a foot of snow. My brother still lives there and he always relays what is happening to the 'yellow flowers' ;o)

o

Those are all gorgeous,but I think the pink ones are my fave.tfs
Kathi

o

Gorgeous is right, you have some real beauties. I used to grow a lot of daffodils but that darn, to be polite, narcissus fly was a real problem. The more expensive the bulb the more it homed in on it. I still have a few of the small ones like Rip Van Winkle, Tete aTete, Jet Fire etc. but have given up on the larger ones.

Annette

o

What a collection of daffs. I try to plant different varieties every year but lately the shops aren't offering much, and the s/h from catalogs is so expensive. After seeing your pics I might break down next Fall and order.

You are way ahead of us here in Wayne Co. My bloodwort or bloodroot doesn't bloom until May, and no tulip blooms yet. Loper is such a handsome young man.

o

Lovely!

o

Did the freeze hurt your daffodils? Ours get frozen all the time, fall over (often with frost, even ice on them) then slowly rise back up when the sun warms them.

Your pictures are beautiful and I hope some of your flowers bounce back...such a lovely display :)

o

Lavender lass: yes, the freeze did a lot of damage, but many of the tulips and daffodils bounced back. Lots of newly sprouted lilies, iris, even digitalis took a beating, but they'll recover. Some of the daffodils got weak stems from the freeze--it got down to 29 (not quite so low as I expected). Magnolias, of course, were totally zapped.

Here is Fiery Parrot after the freeze:

o

Hope Loper did not freeze his little tail off :). He is adorable! Your garden is stunning, Mantis! May it be blessed with abundant blooms, rich colors and be weed-free! Enjoy.

o

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing these pics. I'm a lazy bulb planter, but maybe these pics will inspire me come Fall! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here