Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosenemesis & leetle daisies

Posted by ginnier (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:15

About those little white daisies.......When I google them, I find daisies that are short, yes, but they don't look itty bitty like yours. Are the ones you have under 1/2" in diameter? They LOOK like it, but maybe your roses and other flowers are that much larger. Do you know which daisy you have?
I do see from the descriptions that they take a decent amount of moisture too...so do you water extra...or are they "on their own"?

I just love that look of tiny daisies under larger flowers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosenemesis & leetle daisies

Hi Ginnier,
Those are annual Paludosum daisies, and they are about an inch across on a good day. I water twice a week at minimum, year-round. The daisies last from about the end of March to the end of May, then the beds look barren!
Renee

o

You know, Santa Barbara daisies are even leeteler and perennial. You might try those.

o

How little is little?
I have Blackfoot daisies.

Here is a link that might be useful: blackfoot daisy

o

Renee,

The Paludosum daisies look great in your bed. Do you plant anything to replace them when they die out?

o

No, I'm too tuckered out by then and it's just too hot here. I used to try vincas, but it's too expensive to buy them and too hard to grow from seed. I'm slowly buying more perennials like alstroemerias to fill between the roses and irises.

o

My paludosums start to decline at about the same time as the first spring flush--of pretty much everything--is winding down. When they get leggy and often mildewy, I yank them out. Usually that happens around Mother's Day or so. When I pull them, it looks like the garden has been attacked by moths.
I tried Santa Barbara daisies, and I have lots of them elsewhere, but they just don't have the punch of the paludosums. (And besides, they keep trying to take over the universe. Profusion erigeron is well named.) Like Renee, I tried vinca. Meh. What I discovered last year for a filler is white scaveola. Up close, the flowers look completely different from c. paludosum, but from afar, the scattered effect of little white stars is similar. And they stand up to heat pretty well.

Kay

o

I'll try it, Kay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here