Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a ground cover...but not one that chokes out everything!

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 8:21

In my new rose bed (1400 square feet) I am now putting in perennials, as I had all the grass removed and new soil brought in.

Salvias, daylilies, catmint, lavender, hollyhocks...going for the cottage look, and have this thing about NOT seeing the soil.

I do grow thyme, oregano, and some other ground covers, but would like something that could meander in and around, but not have those suckering massive roots (like asian jasmine), so that i could control it and not take too much energy away from the roses. Borage is another that i like, but those things sucker and become an anchor into the earth. Any thoughts??

Just don't want to create a problem I can't yank out easily.

Do have a few TINY geranium "rozanne", but not sure texas summers can be tolerated, so planning on planting these in somewhat protected areas.

Thanks...Oh, just thought...alyssum?? I have seeds!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a ground cover...but not one that chokes out everything!

campanulas that grow low and creep about. I'm trying to recall the exact name but it's pretty and easily controlled.

thrifts -- in pinks and white variety. So pretty. Again easily controlled.

a mix of succulents and there are so many to choose from. Your zone is perfect for these plants.

black mondo grass.

aranaria

o

I am in such a different zone than you that you will have to check these out:
Veronica Georgia Blue
Cranberry makes a great ground cover in ordinary garden soil.
Dianthus Greystone
Perhaps some of the non climbing clematis, depending on whether you have slugs or snails.

All play well with others in my gardens.

o

What about Verbena x hybrida?
I find these so useful for edging plants, or meandering through other plants. They flower almost year round. They are shallow rooted and easy to pull out if necessary.
They come in lots of colours, so it is easy to find ones that go well with your other plants.

Here is a pink one with a purple sage.

photo sept1004.jpg

....and a purple one the other side of the sage.

photo sept1003.jpg

photo 069.jpg

(Sorry about the hose!)

Here is a lighter pink one, trailing down a bank, behind the pond.

photo 021-1.jpg

This is one of the Tapien series of verbena, the ones with the finer leaf, growing with Calamintha nepetoides, not yet in flower.

photo 087-3.jpg

There is also Dichondra Silver Falls. This works well as a ground cover.
Here it is with petunias growing through it.

photo sept1008.jpg

Hope this helps.
Daisy

o

I use creeping jenny as a ground cover,doesn't flower,but stays nice and green year round.
Kathi

o

I use horse herb. It stays low.

Here is a link that might be useful: tx horse herb

o

perennial geraniums.
There are dozens to choose from and I'm sure a few can tolerate Texas heat. Find the website geraniaceae.com There is a sections labled "groundcovers" ; but the "borders" section might be helpful
I ordered 25 plants from them/ they arrived with big healthy root systems and in perfect shape.

o

How about convolvulus? I love tricolor royal ensign because it is beautiful and easy to grow from seed. You do have to make sure you yank it out when dry because it gives you a TON of seeds. It hasn't given me any problems, great for full sun, stays compact and looks great as an edger. HTH's!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here